What is your least favorite Muppet Movie?

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
While I agree you have a point, there's a difference between saying "I don't like something" and "This is the worst."

No one's asking him to like the movie, but it's complete hyperbole to call it the worst. It has problems, sure. But are those problems behind the scenes with everyone just groaning through the entire film? Are they aesthetically hard to look at? Then it isn't the worst, it's a least favorite. There's a difference. Saying "The Muppets was my least favorite" is an opinion. Saying it's the worst is masking opinion as fact.

Plus, lazily just saying "hands down" instead of actually giving good reasons doesn't add to the conversation.

Then we could all whine and moan about other people's choices in this thread that we disagree with, by that logic. I gave good reasons why I didn't like The Muppets in another thread, and you still complained. How about we stop whining about unpopular opinions on movies and TV? We're not 10-year-olds, and the world's not going to end because some people dislike popular movies (guess what? There are people who dislike Titanic, The Godfather, Casablanca, and other movies widely considered the best of all time [just like some people like movies considered bad, and not just as "so-bad-it's-good" material]).

Drtooth

Reaction score
Then we could all whine and moan about other people's choices in this thread that we disagree with, by that logic. I gave good reasons why I didn't like The Muppets in another thread, and you still complained. How about we stop whining about unpopular opinions on movies and TV?
I'll give you that. You at least gave reasons why. There's no discussion in saying "hands down."

I'll reiterate this:

This thread is called "What is the Worst Muppet Movie" not "which Muppet Movie do you dislike greatly."

And yes, I am being a little unfair to those who don't like that movie. But think of it this way. MFS and MWO killed the franchise. Twice. The Muppets gave us Muppets Most Wanted. Of which, by every indication looks like a far better movie. So yeah, there is a logical biased towards the film. Yes, it does have it's fair share of problems. A stronger edit would have done the film a world of good. However, I'm not saying anyone has to like it, I'm just saying calling it the worst is nothing short of snotty fanboy mode because it's different from something made back 30+ years ago when there are plenty of worse things the Muppets were associated with.

The difference between a disappointing or not that great film and a bad film is that an okay film could have been salvaged. A Truly bad film cannot. Least favorite is an opinion. Worst is a title.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
I'll give you that. You at least gave reasons why. There's no discussion in saying "hands down."

I'll reiterate this:

This thread is called "What is the Worst Muppet Movie" not "which Muppet Movie do you dislike greatly."

And yes, I am being a little unfair to those who don't like that movie. But think of it this way. MFS and MWO killed the franchise. Twice. The Muppets gave us Muppets Most Wanted. Of which, by every indication looks like a far better movie. So yeah, there is a logical biased towards the film. Yes, it does have it's fair share of problems. A stronger edit would have done the film a world of good. However, I'm not saying anyone has to like it, I'm just saying calling it the worst is nothing short of snotty fanboy mode because it's different from something made back 30+ years ago when there are plenty of worse things the Muppets were associated with.

The difference between a disappointing or not that great film and a bad film is that an okay film could have been salvaged. A Truly bad film cannot. Least favorite is an opinion. Worst is a title.

If anything that saved a popular franchise is automatically above criticism, I guess all the Scrappy Doo haters are wrong. That's right, the most hated cartoon character of (possibly) all-time is the only reason the Scooby-Doo franchise still exists. Before Scrappy was created, there weren't going to be anymore spin-offs.

But wait, I guess Scrappy's hatedom might get a pass, since theirs is a popular opinion....

Seriously, we're not children, and opinion myopia is aggravating, so knock it off, please.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And MWO was the reason Disney pretty much treated The Muppets like crap for 4 or 5 years. And who could blame them? I'm sure if it wasn't a complete failure we'd see a lot more crummy, jaded retellings with F-list celebrities and at the moment pop culture references on television that we'd barely get excited about.

Yes. It's perfectly okay to be the minority that doesn't like the movie (especially the completely vocal Geewunners group who would hate anything made after 1990 out of principle) but do realize that people who really liked the movie will disagree with you, even on a manner as vocal as the detractors. Yep, it works BOTH ways. Sorry of you feel victimized and all, but my beef isn't with you or people who mildly dislike the film. My beef is with those who want to take a dump on it for some self centered old school fanboy self-righteousness who are perfectly comfortable watching the old films over and over again on fading VHS.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
My beef is with those who want to take a dump on it for some self centered old school fanboy self-righteousness who are perfectly comfortable watching the old films over and over again on fading VHS.
You don't think that your posts could be construed as "fanboy self-righteousness"? I'm just saying, for someone who wants his opinions on movies tolerated and accepted, the least you could do is not get apoplectic when people state theirs.

SkeetScootSquat

Reaction score
It just didn't do anything for me as a movie-goer or a Muppet fan. This was going to be the first theatrical Muppet movie in twelve years and nobody could have had higher expectations for the film than I did. I knew the basic plot and that there would be a brand new Muppet introduced, but other than that I approached seeing it with an open mind. What I saw was nowhere near what I expected.

The way I understood it, Walter was going to be a supporting character. Normally I would have had no problem with him being the focus- except he was completely unlikable! I was an outsider when I was young and yet I never played the victim and my family was much more supportive. Also, I hated how Fozzie and Rowlf (my two favorite Muppets) were used. There was so much hype about Rowlf returning- and as a major character! Yet he was not included in the pick-up montage and the most dialogue he had was reinforcing that joke. If this is the extent that he was going to be used in the film, then I have zero hope of Rowlf ever being included substantially in any future Muppet projects. I'm disgusted with the fact that The Swedish Chef has had lines in every Muppet film since Jim's passing and we've been deprived of Rowlf for over twenty years.

As for Fozzie, the closest I came to crying during the new film was the hammock scene- only to have it taken away by the 'fart shoes'. And this film firmly established Statler and Waldorf as villains. By making them executors of the theater's contract, no wonder the contract contained loopholes; S&W have been plotting against the Muppets since 1976. And this goes for the plot of IAMMCM, as well. Finally, the ending was a downer- the Muppets don't make enough money and Richman wins the day. Then when the Mahna Mahna... whatever that was happened, I got ready to leave but my dad begged me to finish the movie. Well, thank God I did because they don't reveal Richman's 'change of heart' (convenient, wasn't it?) during the end credits. So, I'm glad I saw it but for all the hype around it and all my high hopes for not only the film but the future of the Muppets, it didn't deliver and disapointed me hugely.
Statler and Waldorf were not villains,pay attention and you will see they are just cluelessly telling Tex about the contract. Tex was talking about ''restoring Kermit's office'' then when the critics leave he unleashes his actual plot.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
The newbies enjoyed it. The others, not so much. Probably because the newbies weren't being shoved around with behind the scenes politics. It was a headache by all counts for Brian Henson and especially Joey Mazzarino.
I wonder what Jerry Nelson thought of the film, I mean he had such a decreased role in it compared to MCC, MTI, GMC, TMM, or MTM?

Muppet Master

Reaction score
3) While VMX is a completely dated film for it's pop culture overload, it did the job back in 2002.
Hey what about MTM with the mayor thing, and I don't know MMW with "Toy Story 4". In 20 years when TS4 is a decade old that joke will be SO outdated. I mean a lot of pop culture jokes aren't bad if you know where to stop. I remember watching an episode of "I Love Lucy" recently where Lucy was pretending to be in a TV, with a box in front of her, then Ricky comes and she drops something outside of the box and he says, "What do know 3-D television". That cracked me up, while that's not really pop culture, does it really matter if a film has dated jokes. Unless VMX was all about Kermit on Fear Factor or something then does it really matter? Those jokes seal it in one era and I think that doesn't make it dated, just a nostalgic overload.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
I wonder what Jerry Nelson thought of the film, I mean he had such a decreased role in it compared to MCC, MTI, GMC, TMM, or MTM?
Jerry had this to say -
"I did the Ubergonzo. And that was kind of weird. We did that down in North Carolina. I liked Wilmington, the town. It was a whole different feel to that because Brian didn’t direct it. Somehow it felt weird, and I can’t really pinpoint it".

Source:
http://www.toughpigs.com/a-chat-with-jerry-nelson-part-3/