Your Thoughts: Lady Gaga and The Muppets Holiday Spectacular on ABC

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've been checking out some of Lady Gaga's acoustic performances (and some jazz covers) on Youtube lately, and I have to say I'm impressed with what I've heard.
Two of my favorites:

Why can't we get stuff like this from her more often? Oh right, because nowadays it's all about pop/autotune (or whatever the heck you call it). :frown:
Record labels, obviously. But her pop is pretty good for pop. Never was too big a fan of that genre anyway, but she at least can work that pretty well. But I agree a million times over, she needs more unplugged, jazz standards under her belt. I remember once laughing off Rob Stewart for the same thing, but gaining a huge appreciation for it the more I heard them.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I wouldn't say the current Gonzo is horrible-looking, however, there does seem to be something off about it, I think it's either the shape or the proportions of the head.
Actually, come to think of it, the new Crazy Harry looks a little off too...

Beauregard

Reaction score
Actually, come to think of it, the new Crazy Harry looks a little off too...
He's been off since Mwoo, this is not news. They all, from Animal to Zondra just simply look TOO new, too clean, too untouched, not beaten up or worn enough. The only one who should look impeccable at all times is Miss Piggy. The rest should have felt, fur and feathers that reflect the fact they live in the real world.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yes, I think you've hit the nail on the head with that one.

Of course, part of it too is that puppet building methods and techniques (and, well, puppet building in general) has surely advanced and evolved since those days. There's a new Gary Gnu puppet that's been making rounds in the last couple of years, and it looks remarkably different than the original puppets used on THE GREAT SPACE COASTER.

davidandora

Reaction score
Late in the game to add my 2¢, but I enjoyed this show in spite of how thrown together it seemed. Gaga and the Muppets might have been a better pairing with better writers (or if they spent more time/money on writing). The commercial nature benefitting individually the Muppets and Lady Gaga were unfortunately transparent. Lady Gaga is a stellar performer, and she was as weird and entertaining as ever. Some of the Muppet inclusions with her songs felt a little out of place or forced, but not at all unlike early Muppet Show performances with singers. Her duo with Kermit should have been axed if that was the best interaction they were able to get- yeeesh. The segments with just the Muppets were especially funny. The current writing/performer team seems to be more authentically Muppet since their most recent movie. Anything that keeps them from being too saccharine is a win in my book. It wasn't a total hit, but probably did more good than harm for the Muppets. Certainly not a holiday or Muppet classic.

Drtooth

Reaction score
More time is especially what the special needed. I still feel that this was a Lady Gaga concert special with the Muppets added in last minute. One to promote an album, the other to promote a movie. There should have been more interaction and better interaction. Not just between the Muppets and Lady Gaga, but the Muppets and all the special guest stars. Anyone see the Joseph Gordon Levitt word of the day with Murray? He was perfect in that one. Is a shame we didn't see more of that on this special, and he only talked with Kermit once. Ditto Elton John not being with in a thousand feet of a Muppet.

Other than that, I'm pretty forgiving of this thing. It was meant as a one time thing, it was a disposable marketing gimmick for both sides involved, and it worked in that context. had this been something annual, it just wouldn't work.