Muppets Most Wanted Box Office Numbers

goldenstate5

Reaction score
Official estimates are in... not good: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

Muppets went down even more to 16.5 million. Tomorrow the actuals come out, hopefully it'll rise, but in this case it seems more likely it'll drop even further.

For comparison, Peabody made about 11.7 mil on its third weekend (Muppets would be very lucky to catch that on its second), Lego did around 4 million in business on its seventh weekend (Muppets probably won't even be around for seven weekends), and Disney's own Frozen which stole a good amount of theaters away from Muppets managed to do .7 million on its 18th weekend. (MMW will be on DVD and Blu-Ray by then)

The domestic total will most likely wind up between 35 and 40 million, which means it needs at least 10 to 15 million overseas to not wind up a total flop... that isn't hard as I think MMW can do it. The real question is whether or not it can do extraordinarily better than that. Hope to god the answer is yes.

EDIT: Seems BoxOfficeMojo is already reporting a 1.5 mil overseas gross from this weekend http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=muppets2.htm

However, since there is no page up yet for foreign totals I have no idea where this is coming from. How many countries has it opened up in yet?

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Some countries it doesn't open until next month or May. In, Australia it opens April 10. I should note I've been posting on Facebook like crazy trying to tell people why they need to see this movie this weekend. Obviously I can't twist peoples arms but at least I'm doing my part in getting the word out there!

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I just have this whole picture in my head of Disney calling Kermit into their offices and saying like Donald Trump "your fired.":cry:

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
WHY in the world are you guys so pessimistic? What kind of numbers are you expecting?

Duh it's not going to make the numbers that Divergent is getting and everybody knew that. A good opening for MMW would be $20 million and it was $16 million as of this morning, the full report comes in tomorrow, so I'm predicting at least $18 million. The movie will surpass it's budget, and this isn't the end of the franchise, stop freaking out.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well I just think that people are worried that if it does not do as good as the 2011 movie that Disney will no longer want to do as much with the Muppets. I mean we have had such a hard time getting the Muppet Show seasons four and five released and other things that we don't want Disney to just give up.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Nobody is freaking out, I'm being realistic. I'm not one that's gonna paint this with butterflies and Rainbow Connections. You always prepare for the worst and hope for the best at least that's my take on things. I don't know about other people but going from a full theater from the last film to just 6 or even 10? I know I can only talk for my own experience on Friday but compared to when I went to see the previous film in the middle of the day on opening day and the theater was packed well what are you suppose to think? I really hope the numbers skyrocket internationally I do! But...I'm not gonna sit here and live in la la land either. And this is how I was for the last film as well, prepare for the worst and hope for the best. And thank god the best did come out and I am hoping it's the same. I am not comparing it to what it's competition is.

Reevz1977

Reaction score
I personally think this movie will surprise, word of mouth may be the saviour!!! I personally hope that the youth of today aren't the mindless plebs we fear. Let's just wait and see!!