Muppets Most Wanted Box Office Numbers

SweetMayhem

Reaction score
My theater was full on Friday night, but I think this movie is suffering for 2 reasons- 1) Almost half the country just experienced the first truly nice weekend after a brutal winter- could be a lot of people chose outside activities vs. going to movies and 2) Unfortunately, luke-warm reviews can really temper the desire to run right out and see a film vs. waiting for DVD. I happened to catch a reviewer on Fox News saying it was "Good, but NOWHERE near the The Muppets" and that people should wait on seeing it... ugh. I personally know about 15 people who just couldn't get out to see it this weekend, but plan to go in the next week. 15 people do not equal a success, by any means, but I'd imagine a lot of us know people in that position, and it still has two weeks before the next true "family" movie moves into the market, and I think it has the potential to do better overseas than the previous film.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
On a positive note I will say I have seen even casual Muppet fans praise the film so thankfully not everyone is listening to reviews.

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
On a positive note I will say I have seen even casual Muppet fans praise the film so thankfully not everyone is listening to reviews.
When my Muppet fandom came back three years ago, I will admit that I was one of those casual Muppet fans, but now I'm not. I am a true Muppet fan in my family and my parents are right. I am a Muppet so why be so hard on me.
Everyone, be glad i saw it on march 21st, because I was one of those that did not want to wait. I wanted to laugh, smile, and enjoy the Muppety goodness.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Sorry, I was just trying to snap you guys out of it. I'm just so tired of hearing people giving up and declaring that we won't see the Muppets for another ten years. Come on people. Disney is so invested in this franchise at the moment and there's lots of secret projects in the works. Disney likes the Muppets, and they're doing well so far, and they prove to be a viable franchise. I think it's safe to say that Disney won't be supplying the Muppets with any blockbuster budgets, but we'll for sure be seeing more movies or TV specials or whatnot.

This franchise has been around since the 70's and it's one of the most beloved franchises in history. Disney is not going to dump that once they already have all the characters back out in the spotlight.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
No ones giving up we're just trying to prepare. I wanna see The Muppets succeed more then anything! I loved this film and unlike the last one I had high expectations so to go on opening day and thinking your going to a packed theater only to see 10 people there I almost wanted to cry. That's how much I love the Muppets I wanted that theater packed like it was when I saw the previous film. So for me personally it's sort of taken away my optimism.

beaker

Reaction score
My good friend saw it last night(a saturday night) at one of the main cineplexes, and said it was tumbleweeds and crickets.

I know it sounds mean, but The Muppets are too good for modern society. The Muppets stand for everything the world should be, but sadly too many people don't want magical/smart/sillyness. They want clumsily edited, big, dumb computer generated monstrosities. In this respect, a lot of the themes of the 2011 Muppet film hit a bit too close to reality.

Doesn't it strike anyone else as rather peculiar, that despite zillions of dollars of advertising and endless interviews/commercials/talk shows/appearances, plus SIXTY YEARS of Jim Henson related projects...that to this day Muppet fandom still seems rather underground? Crappy cheap new things, like the newest Twilight Games(err I mean Divergent) makes several times more than the Muppets. Films that stand for nothing, are new properties but have a zillion times more fan sites/fan base. Heck a decade ago I commented how Farscape, a Jim Henson production, seemed to have an infinitely bigger and vocal fanbase than the Muppets proper.

It's a taboo topic, elephant in the room...but I cant shake the feeling the Muppets are not as beloved in America as we want to think. and despite the overwhelming positive buzz from critics and fans, they seem to be bowing out of this one...which I think most of us would agree was even better than the last film.

goldenstate5

Reaction score
Sorry, I was just trying to snap you guys out of it. I'm just so tired of hearing people giving up and declaring that we won't see the Muppets for another ten years. Come on people. Disney is so invested in this franchise at the moment and there's lots of secret projects in the works. Disney likes the Muppets, and they're doing well so far, and they prove to be a viable franchise. I think it's safe to say that Disney won't be supplying the Muppets with any blockbuster budgets, but we'll for sure be seeing more movies or TV specials or whatnot.

This franchise has been around since the 70's and it's one of the most beloved franchises in history. Disney is not going to dump that once they already have all the characters back out in the spotlight.

I don't think anyone is trying to rain on people's parades, I'm just taking an objective view at this situation. The facts are pretty bold: MMW disappointed at the box office this weekend. It's about a hair above being immediately written off as a total flop for Disney right now, and if the legs are similar to the last film it will be. Will it rise in the actuals tomorrow? Maybe. But that's very rare for a movie which instead of rising, dropped significantly as numbers rolled in.

Now let's just say that MMW does flop domestically with a 30 to 35 million total (which seems likely at this point, and would be less than even the first's OW), and does modest business overseas, basically just around making back its budget. Will Disney completely drop the franchise? No. That's ridiculous.

But will they make more theatrical films? I doubt it, and even if they did don't expect Bobin or Stoller to come back because the only reason to do it is a quasi-reboot with new creative personalities. Yet the Muppets isn't a franchise you can really do a dramatic revision on... I think they'll focus on some other way to capitalize on them. Hopefully television.

Drtooth

Reaction score
WHY in the world are you guys so pessimistic? What kind of numbers are you expecting?

Duh it's not going to make the numbers that Divergent is getting and everybody knew that. A good opening for MMW would be $20 million and it was $16 million as of this morning, the full report comes in tomorrow, so I'm predicting at least $18 million. The movie will surpass it's budget, and this isn't the end of the franchise, stop freaking out.
I can't say I'm not hugely depressed about this. The Muppets was good, but by all means, this was a far better film on every level. Editing especially. There is no reason this shouldn't have at least had a 30 million opening. Disney promoted the crap out of this film, and it doesn't hold the same weight as some stupid tween fan fic that I've never heard of.

Seriously. Divergent. Was that factory written? I'm actually starting to miss when studios refused to make movies with female protagonists. It's a different audience that wouldn't have seen the movie in the first place, and it's families to blame for not flooding over to see this one. But really? Why do we need these disposable tween girl novels so badly? Twilight wasn't garbage enough?
Now let's just say that MMW does flop domestically with a 30 to 35 million total (which seems likely at this point, and would be less than even the first's OW), and does modest business overseas, basically just around making back its budget. Will Disney completely drop the franchise? No. That's ridiculous.

But will they make more theatrical films? I doubt it, and even if they did don't expect Bobin or Stoller to come back because the only reason to do it is a quasi-reboot with new creative personalities. Yet the Muppets isn't a franchise you can really do a dramatic revision on... I think they'll focus on some other way to capitalize on them. Hopefully television.
That kinda contradicts itself as a statement. On the one hand, if this movie barely makes back it's budget at least it isn't a Lone Ranger type failure, but it's still not going to be seen as successful. If this is the last Muppet Movie we'll ever see, that will be a real tragedy. It's one thing if the movie series ended with a terrible film, but a good one killing the franchise?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Tonight is the UK premiere, and I can only hope we have a better turn out over seas then we did here in the states.