Muppets Most Wanted Box Office Numbers

goldenstate5

Reaction score
Wait...

Didn't they announce 17 million earlier Sunday? I'm confused.

Still, it should have at least managed to get to 20. This is very bleak for us Muppet fans. I'm not holding out any hope for much more.

The Sunday weekend estimate was 16.5. Today they released the actual numbers, which turned out to be .5 million higher.

It's still bad. Every box office report is announcing that "Muppets disappointed/missed"... it needs a miraculous turnaround at this point. Movies are so frontloaded nowadays that Disney is probably already prepping to only hope that they make their money back with overseas and DVD sales, and to never repeat another Muppet feature. I did once read that the reason MMW got ordered was due to strong international sales and home video receipts, but you can bet that strong showing on OW for TM11 helped as well. Remember: the 2011 film performed strong domestically as well, so MMW disappointing domestically doesn't show a good sign.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Guess what guys? Movies aren't open for one week. This movie has various opportunities to make money back. Sure, the theaters I've seen it at haven't been packed; others claim they have been.

Yeah, I'm a tad upset it's not doing that well. According to Box Office Mojo, it's playing in around 300 less theaters than the last movie (which is weird), so that could partially affect its performance.

JonnyBMuppetMan

Reaction score
Sure, the theaters I've seen it at haven't been packed; others claim they have been.
I remember seeing the 2011 Muppet movie on a snowy, stormy opening day. Besides me, my brother and father, and a couple friends, there were at least two or three other people who made it to the showing we went to. By comparison, in my two viewings of MMW this weekend, the audience, while not a full house, still included a few families and was considerably larger this time around. The point I'm trying to make is that even if we've been to some scant screenings doesn't mean the movie's doing poorly everywhere.

I am a little sad this movie isn't doing better financially, but we shouldn't be losing our minds and calling the end of the franchise. The Muppets are doing more appearances until the end of March, both here and for the UK release, and they're still airing those Lipton ads as of yesterday. So, if that continues, we can only hope that the movie will pick up it's momentum through the next week or so.

I'm actually not too bothered by the critical reviews this has gotten, misguided as some are. I still think this was better than The Muppets, but of course I knew this wasn't going to top the ace marks the previous movie got. Reviews don't always guarantee a movie's fate, and the fact that the Muppets were inexplicably trumped twice by Twilight and now Divergent is evidence of that.

goldenstate5

Reaction score
Guess what guys? Movies aren't open for one week. This movie has various opportunities to make money back. Sure, the theaters I've seen it at haven't been packed; others claim they have been.

Yeah, I'm a tad upset it's not doing that well. According to Box Office Mojo, it's playing in around 300 less theaters than the last movie (which is weird), so that could partially affect its performance.
300 less theaters (which is due to Frozen's everlasting presence, btw) has really nothing to do with it. The movie was still presented in over 3100 theaters, so there's really no excuse for failure at least when it comes to counts.

Maybe Disney isn't too upset after all. :stick_out_tongue:

Well the marketing has to spin it someway. Disney isn't going to actively come out right now and say, "We're not happy." Not until everything is said and done, the movie is out of theaters and they're looking back will anyone say anything on MMW yet. If it did gangbuster business, that'd be different.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I was being sarcastic. IMO it just looks like desperate advertising. Like "please come see this movie!!!! We're begging you!!" Maybe not that dramatic but that's the gist of it. If the film doesn't do well this weekend it's just gonna be really sad.

goldenstate5

Reaction score
Oh I know I was just reiterating for anybody who may take this seriously.

muppet boy

Reaction score
I just don't want the characters to disappear into obscurity again. We already that happen once with some disappointing productions in that time frame. I really don't want to return to that point again. I think that disney has invested too much money and really doesn't want to see the franchise fail either.

I saw the movie and really liked it. I was a bit choppy at first, but it got better as it progressed. I definitely rate it among the same caliber as GMC and MTM.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Yeah well I just wasted 30 mins of my life arguing with a casual Muppet fan on why he thinks the movie sucks so bad and the best answer he gave me was because Jim and Frank aren't involved...I'm like really?! That's all you got?! >< and then when he asked me why I liked it and gave him valid points on why it was good he was like well that maybe so but Kermit isn't done by Jim anymore so it was a bad movie. I was like okay I'm done and have been down this road already before! I give up!

muppet boy

Reaction score
Jim is dead, he can't be involved. And Frank just doesn't want to anymore, and that's his choice.

The movie didn't suck. It wasn't super mega awesome. It had flaws. But all movies do. Nothing is perfect cause people have different ideas of what is perfect.

But imo, the movie was very good. One of the best muppet movies.