Is Gonzo Being phased out?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't feel like they're phasing Gonzo out in particular, at least no more than the other characters. It's more that the writers seem fine writing for Kermit, Piggy and the new characters (Walter, Constantine), but when it comes to the other supporting characters for some reason they're not as comfortable.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I don't feel like they're phasing Gonzo out in particular, at least no more than the other characters. It's more that the writers seem fine writing for Kermit, Piggy and the new characters (Walter, Constantine), but when it comes to the other supporting characters for some reason they're not as comfortable.

Because as we have said before they think that they are all stupid......

WalterFan1234

Reaction score
I know he's being phased out, yet so many people on this thread refuse to admit it. Since Bunsen had a pretty beefy-ish role in the film, I don't think Dave's having too many problems, but it's not that Gonzo isn't likable nowadays, it's that he's not a main character and the film could work even without GONZO!! Think about it, he had some crucial roles in TMM, without him there would be no "I'm Going To Go Back There Someday", no chasing Gonzo in the car, and no interaction in the car with him. In GMC he was responsible for finding out when and where Nicky Holiday was going to steal the baseball diamond, and he was the photographer. In MTM without him, Camilla wouldn't get CPR, and one whole "letter" scene, and the infamous Ed Koch scene would be cut! In MCC he was the narrator, in MTI, main character, and MFS (NEED I SAY MORE? UNLESS YOU WANT CLIFFORD TO HAVE AN ALIEN FAMILY), and he also had crucial roles in VMX, MWoO, and LTS. Then The Muppets (2011)? They could have easily just cut out the TWO ONLY Gonzo scenes, and nothing would happen! Sure he did save the muppet theater, but besides that he was just as a background character as Lew Zealand! MMW was MUCH WORSE! Gonzo was basically a background character, I think Bunsen had more lines and a bigger part! Again he had that one part where his nose hooked on Constantine's helicopter, but that was 2 seconds long! I was really hoping that Gonzo'd have a big role in MMW, but really, the running of the bulls was less than 1 minute long! Let's face it, Gonzo's just as phased out as Rizzo! Sure, he had roles, but they were minor and could easily have been replaced by another muppet! In TM, Crazy Harry could have taken out his plunger box and BAM, Tex is knocked out, and in MMW, Camilla could have jumped and held on to the helicopter with her mouth. Gonzo is being phased out, and until we have another muppet production to see how big his role will be, this is really sad. :sympathy:
I agree with every word you said. Gonzo is going away. Saying goodbye. It's so sad because he used to be great, but he is starting to lose every bit of greatness he had before.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I agree with every word you said. Gonzo is going away. Saying goodbye. It's so sad because he used to be great, but he is starting to lose every bit of greatness he had before.

Wow I don't mean to offend or anything, but I think that is being a little to dramatic. With both new movies the writers have not known how to write well, for Gonzo or Fozzie for that matter. They think that all of the other Muppets besides Kermit Piggy, Walter and now Constantine are all stupid, and have had trouble writing from them.

If the Muppets where to have there own show, or another movie with different writers. I'm sure that Gonzo will make a valiant return.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Wow I don't mean to offend or anything, but I think that is being a little to dramatic. With both new movies the writers have not known how to write well, for Gonzo or Fozzie for that matter. They think that all of the other Muppets besides Kermit Piggy, Walter and now Constantine are all stupid, and have had trouble writing from them.

I actually have to laugh at that one.

The Muppets suffered from having too many Muppets in one film. Gonzo also had the unfortunate distinction of being a brick joke at the tail end of the film, not to mention every other scene that was cut featured him. MMW was indeed better. He may not have had the screen time as Kermit and Piggy did... but if anything just under his capacity in the first 3 films. Meanwhile, the last 3 theatrical films Gonzo and Rizzo basically had most of the screen time, much more so than Kermit. It does feel like a huge leap though, I'll agree. But Gonzo in the last 2 movies isn't half as bad as Kermit was in MFS, where he was lobotomized and out of character by writers that supposedly understood the character! And let's not forget, LTS gave us unnecessarily overly depressed Winnie the Pooh Gonzo, by writers that supposedly understood the character! He was going through a Steve Martin-like growing out of his old schtick phase, sure. We had understandably depressed Gonzo in MFS and alternate world Gonzo in VMX... but why was he that depressed in LTS? I love LTS, but that and the rushed run time are the specials biggest flaws.

I mean, you know how much I hate MWO, but at least that one got Gonzo right. The highlight of that special was him getting back with Camilla. Remember that period? Gonzo may not have been in the last 2 movies 70% of the time, but at least they remembered he loves Camilla and does wacky stunts. We've only got tastes of it in MTI and MFS.

Meanwhile, Gonzo's all over the merchandising still, all over other appearances, especially the Toyota ads.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
And let's not forget, LTS gave us unnecessarily overly depressed Winnie the Pooh Gonzo, by writers that supposedly understood the character! He was going through a Steve Martin-like growing out of his old schtick phase, sure. We had understandably depressed Gonzo in MFS and alternate world Gonzo in VMX... but why was he that depressed in LTS? I love LTS, but that and the rushed run time are the specials biggest flaws.
I don't remember Gonzo being that incredibly depressed in "A Muppets Christmas: Letters to Santa". Yes, he was fairly depressed though, mainly because he felt responsible for diverting some of the children's letters to Santa Claus and thus, he felt like he had ruined Christmas for them. (Not to mention feeling guilty about abandoning Claire.) And for one who's struggled with abandonment issues, I'm sure Gonzo would be particularly sensitive to such things.
In any case, I don't think Gonzo is being phased out- he's long been a core member of The Muppets gang- I don't see him going anywhere. As you might can tell from my user name, he's one of my favorite characters- probably because I identify a lot with the weirdo and whatever labels. Love ya, Gonzo! :concern:

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I know, thanks! I mean I can understand Rizzo being in the back, I mean that's not too big of a deal, but GONZO! How hard is it to write for Gonzo if James and Nick are die-heart muppet fans? I can write for Gonzo! Here you wanna see some top-notch writting?

Kermit: Come on guys, let's go stop Tex Richman from blowing up the muppet theater!

Gonzo: No thanks Kermit, I'd like to be inside the theater when it happens.

(at a butcher shop)​
Fozzie: Hey Gonzo what are you doing?​
Gonzo: Oh I'm going to tell the buther to take chickens off the menu.​
Fozzie: AHH- NICE ONE!​
(later)​
Kermit: Hey Gonzo, did you take chickens off the menu?​
Gonzo: Well, the butcher would'nt budge so we made a compromise, he's only selling exploding chickens now. HEY BUTCHER I'LL TAKE TWO!!!​
Camilla: Clucks Dissapprovingly​
Gonzo: Oh Camilla, these are only exploding chickens watch (shakes chicken)​
(SHOP EXPLODES)​
Gonzo: WHOOPE! I'VE NEVER HAD MORE FUN IN MY LIFE!​
FEEL FREE TO USE THIS ANY MUPPET WRITERS READING THIS.​

Muppet Master

Reaction score
They should get Steve Whitmire and Dave Goelz aiding with the writting of muppet productions, because the characters beside the new ones and kermit and piggy need to be written better.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I think that has to be the biggest complainant from fans about the new movie.
Well in all, at least they try to get the characters right, better than Gonzo being scared to get his brain sucked out!