Your Thoughts: The Muppets Character Encyclopedia

DutchMuppet

Reaction score
I agree, stop being realistic and focus on complaining about a book that included obscure characters, but the not the ones we obviously wanted.
Maybe it's me, but I think the Encyclopedia is great the way it is. Yes some characters aren't in it but to say I miss them. No. It's a book for 10 bucks. That's just really cheap, so I have peace with it. And sorry if I'm realistic. But that's just who I am. I really like the double page photo's from Muppets Most Wanted. So it's not that obviously like you said. DK made a fantastic book for children. In random interviews Shemin gave for almost every character that was left out of the book a good explanation why it's not in the book. I think it's just nitpicking to complain about it. It's a shame but we must "Move right along"! If I must give a grade to this book, it easily earns an A!

But I really think that if there's gonna be a Part 2 for this book, the chance for an Ultimate Guide are gone. And I really prefer an Ultimate Guide. With info about the puppeteers, how the bicycle scene works, cinegraphy with nice photo's and much more! The books about this subject are outdated and out of print. I think a lot of people would buy the Ultimate Guide. I do hope that the Characters Guide sold really well for this to happen.

But I had an idea. Maybe it's possible to print your own pages for the book. I had the same problem with a book about a local amusementpark. They had some characters left out because of the rights. When we asked the writer about this book, if he could make the pages with the fancommunity, he was allright with it. So he wrote the rest of the pages. Some fans made the lay-out exactly like the book and posted them online. People could print them at home and put them between the pages. Or just keep them together in a binder or whatsoever. Maybe Craig would do that, because some text are written allready but left out. Just an idea :wink:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've been thinking about how I would do the Ultimate Guide if they do end up making a Muppet guide:
Chapter 1 - Meet the Muppets (sections on Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem - maybe give Animal his own page in addition, Rowlf, Scooter, Bunsen and Beaker, Statler and Waldorf, Pepe, Rizzo, Sam the Eagle, The Swedish Chef, and maybe a section highlighting notable minor or supporting characters. The first few characters would get multiple pages, while others just one or two.)
Chapter 2 - Muppets on TV (sections on Sam and Friends, TV appearances - hopefully there'd be plenty of time to clear rights to images from shows Disney doesn't own, though worst case scenario it could just focus on Disney-owned shows the Muppets appeared on, early television specials, The Muppet Show pilots, The Muppet Show, specials from 1979-1986, various commercials, Muppet Babies, Little Muppet Monsters (if not a footnote in the Muppet Babies section), MuppeTelevision, 1987-1990 specials, Muppet Time, Muppets Tonight, Muppet TV, and 2008-2013 specials)
Chapter 3 - Movies (all of the movies, obviously, including Muppetvision 3D, Kermit's Swamp Years, It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie, and The Muppets' Wizard of Oz).
Chapter 4 - On the Web (sections on MuppetToons, Statler and Waldorf: From the Balcony, The Muppets Kitchen, Kermit's Party, Muppisode, and the Muppet YouTube videos)
Chapter 5 - Miscellaneous (live stage shows, unproduced projects, direct-to-video projects, the Ideal Toys, Palisades Toys, Boom Comics, albums, and other notable stuff)
Chapter 6 - behind-the-scenes (including sections on Jim Henson, Frank Oz, Jerry Juhl, Jerry Nelson, Richard Hunt, Dave Goelz, Steve Whitmire, Kevin Clash, David Rudman, Brian Henson, Bill Barretta, Eric Jacobson, Peter Linz, Matt Vogel, Don Shalin, and Faz Fazakis)

A characters chapter could be redundant when there's also a character guide, but Craig Shemin said that this kind of book would allow for behind-the-scenes facts. As you can see by what I listed, I would have that chapter limited to the best-known characters (and there can be mini-sections on characters on various production pages or even performer pages). I would have characters like Kermit and Miss Piggy get multiple pages, while "lesser" main characters would just get one or two.

Hmm, I wonder if I should do like what was done in The Odd Life of Timothy Green: Type up what I would want in a book like this, bury it in a garden, and then see if the book becomes a reality.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Something I recently noticed: The entry for Foo-Foo mentions that Foo-Foo has siblings named Oui-Oui, Poo-Poo, Num-Num, Goo-Goo, and Fred. A variant of the name Fred is Freddie, and on The Jim Henson Hour, the Foo-Foo puppet was named Freddie in the Fashion Doll Channel sketches. I wonder if listing Fred among those names was a way of referencing those sketches. It could have listed Freddie, but Fred seems like a funnier name in that context (mentioning several names similar to Foo-Foo's - one babytalk-ish word used on two syllables - and then the more serious-sounding Fred).

Also, I listed the names in the order they are listed in the book. I wonder if by listing Oui-Oui and Poo-Poo besides each other is meant as a reference to a line from Kermit's Swamp Years, where, after Jack Rabbit tells Goggles that a pets owner will clean up it's poo poo, Goggle says "poo poo?" and Jack answers, "Oui oui, poo poo."

I would believe either way whether they are subtle references or coincidences.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Just got a copy of this for my birthday, and I have to say it's a fun read. I like the irreverent approach to the characters, especially the obscure ones. I wish they had shot some new pictures for the more commonplace characters, but that's a minor quibble.

Mad Monty fan

Reaction score
If i were to write a book titled Muppets Character Guide, i would include every muppet from a to z:
Afghan Hound
Andy and Randy
Angel Marie
Agnes Stonewick
Angus McGonagle
Animal
Annie Sue
Balloon Head Conductor
Baskerville
Beaker
Bean Bunny
Beauregard
Beautiful Day
Behemoth
Big Mean Carl
Big Tiny Tallsaddle
Bill the Bubble Guy
Birds
Black Dog
Blind Pew
Bobo
Bobby Benson's Baby Band
Boober Fraggle
Bunsen Honeydew
Butch the Tiger
Calico
Camilla
Catgut
Chickens
Clifford
Clowns
Clueless Morgan
Contender 980116
Constantine
Crazy Harry
Digit
Doglion
Dr. Julius Strangepork
Dr. Phil van Neuter
Dr. Teeth
Droop
Ducks
Emily Bear
Eric the Parrot
Flower Eating Monster
Floyd
Flying Zucchini Brothers
Foo-Foo
Forcryingoutloud Bird
Fozzie
Gaffer
George the Janitor
Geri and The Atrics
Gladys the Cafeteria Lady
Gobo Fraggle
Gonzo
Gorgon Heap
Gramps
Hilda
Hobos
Howard Tubman
Inspector LaBrea
Jaqcues Roach
Janice
Johnny Fiama
Jowls
J.P. Grosse
Kermit
Kermoot
King Ploobis
Koozebanians
Lenny the Lizard
Lew Zealand
Link Hothgrob
Lips
Louis Kazagger
Lubbock Lou's Jughuggers
Luncheon Counter Monster
Lydia the Pig
Mad Monty
Mahna Mahna and The Snowths
Marvin Suggs and his Muppaphone
Mary Louise
Mean Mama
Mighty Favog
Mildred Huxtetter
Miss Mousey
Miss Piggy
Miss Poogy
Mokey Fraggle
Mulch
Muppy
Mutations
Nate Leakey
Newsman
Nigel(conductor)
Nigel(director)
Ohboy Bird
Ohreally Bird
Old Joe
Old Tom, Dead Tom, Real Old Tom
Paul Revere
Penguins
Pepe the King Prawn
Mr. Poodlepants
Pigs
Polly Lobster
Pops
Punch and Judy Puppets
Queen Pueta
Quongo
Righton Bird
Rizzo
Rats
Red Fraggle
Robin
Rover Joe
Roowlf
Rowlf
Rufus
Sal Minella
Sam Eagle
Scooter
Scred
Shakey Sanchez
Slim Wilson
Sopwith Camel
Spotted Dick
Statler
Svengali
Talking Luggage
Taminella Grinderfall
Thog
Timmy Monster
T.R.
Trumpet Girl
Uncle Deadly
Uncle Traveling Matt
Vazh
Vendaface
Waldorf
Walter
Wanda
Wayne
Whaddasay Bird
Winky Pinkerton
Wisss
Yolanda Rat
Youknow Bird
Zeke
Zelda Rose
Zondra
Zoot

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It would have been interesting to see an entry on the Country Trio. I wonder if the book would have said that the trio gave up music to be puppeteers.

Mad Monty fan

Reaction score
It would have been interesting to see an entry on the Country Trio. I wonder if the book would have said that the trio gave up music to be puppeteers.
Yeah or if they included Spotted Dick and said whether or not he lives in Australia(i don't know if he does, but i just assume he does) and Blind Pew(his description in the colored star would be vision challenged pirate)