60 Years of Muppets...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It's The Muppets 60th anniversary overall this year. And yes, next year is Kermit's 60th anniversary. While we are on the topic of that, would Kermit go on a world tour like he did in 2005?

The real question is, would he finish it this time?

MUPPETFAN1976

Reaction score
That's true. He never finished his world tour in 2005. He ended his in December 2005. So, would he have a world tour, would he complete it and if yes, where would he go?

MUPPETFAN1976

Reaction score
Scratch that idea. OK. If the Muppets went on a 60th anniversary tour this year,
I would really wish that they came to Baltimore. It's not only where I live, but it was the birthplace of the Muppets. Any other ideas?

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Why doesn't Disney just release s4 and 5 for the 60th aniversary, that's good enough, and maybe the disney world special.

MUPPETFAN1976

Reaction score
Everyone (even Walter. This is true) is wondering "When are they going to release S4 & S5 of TMS?"

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Everyone (even Walter. This is true) is wondering "When are they going to release S4 & S5 of TMS?"
I mean that's exactly what all muppet fans are thinking about right now... which gives me a real good thread idea.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
A couple more ideas:

#1. Rerelease many old Muppet storybooks (if Disney has the rights to do so). For the 40th anniversary of Sesame Street, there was a special book compilation of many existing Sesame Street books, so the Muppets could do the same. Maybe include Robin Hood, Two for the Show, Muppet Manners, Bo Saves the Show, Gonzo and the Giant Chicken, and maybe a few more.

#2. Make a special two-disc set that's basically a "bonus features release". I'd call it the "Muppet Video Scrapbook". Disc 1 would basically be a compilation of Muppet moments from various productions, and disc 2 would comprise of short stuff (web videos, music videos, unsold/unaired pilots).

My ideal release:
Disc 1
  • Kermit the Frog - "Friendship", "Kermit Meets the Koozebanian Phoob", "Kermit's Bike Ride" (TMM), "Kermit and Constantine Mirror Routine", "Happy Feet", and "The Rainbow Connection" (TM 2011).
  • Miss Piggy - "What Now My Love?", "Pigs in Space: Weight Problems", "There'll Be Some Changes Made", "Something So Right".
  • Fozzie Bear - "The Comedians a Bear!", "I've Got Rhythm", "Moving Right Along", "Bear on Patrol: Handcuff Salesman", "Fozzie at the Comedy Store".
  • Gonzo - "Gonzo Eats a Tire", "Gonzo and Rizzo's Incredible Discoveries", "Gonzo Rejoins the Muppets", "Pre-recorded Gonzo".
  • Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem - "Love Ya to Death" (Sex and Violence), "Rockin' and Rollin' Around the World", "With a Little Help from My Friends", "Wild Thing", "New York State of Mind", "Sax and Violence", "Can You Picture That?", "Electric Mayhem Jam Session".
  • Rowlf - "I've Never Harmed an Onion", "I Hope That Something Better Comes Along", "Sherlock Holmes Sketch", "Vets Hospital: Dr. Bob Does a Sketch Twice".
  • Bunsen and Beaker - "Muppet Labs: Banana Sharpener", "Exercise Shoes", "Robot Abe Lincoln", "Gorilla Detector", "Feelings", "Copying Machine".
  • Pepe - "Elephino", "Topo Sticky", "Miss Piggy's New Dance Partner".
  • The Swedish Chef - "Lobsters", "Yes We Have No Bananas", "Swedish Chef Vs. Jacques Roach" (Food episode).
  • Scooter - "Scooter Joins the Muppets", "There's a New Sound", "Six String Orchestra", "Moves Like Jagger".
  • Guest Star Gallery - "Rita Moreno: Fever", "Carol Burnett: I Was Made for Dancing", "Cindy Crawford and Bobo Dance", "Prince: Starfish and Coffee", "John Cleese Won't Sing a Song", "Garth Brooks: We Shall Be Free", "Star Wars: Landing on Koozebane".
  • Novelty Acts: "Mahna Mahna" (TMS version recut to include the special video footage shot for The Muppet Show Live), "Java", "Pennsylvania 6-5000", "Doo Wah Diddy", "Ragg Mopp".
  • Muppet Spoofs: "Bay of Pigswatch" (first episode), "The Three Muskateers", "Seinfeld Babies", "A Tribute to Casablanca".
  • The Rest of the Gang: "You Light Up My Life", "Wayne and Wanda: Some Enchanted Evening", "Johnny's Pasta Playhouse", "Chanson D'Amour", "Take Ten Terriffic Girls", "Bean Bunny's Double Feature", "Two Lost Souls", "Sam Talks About Ecology", "Beauregard's Taxi Drive", "Walter: The Whistling Curuso", "Carl the Big Mean Bagpipe Eater".
  • The Gang's All Here - "Another opening, Another Show", "Sweet Vacation", "Happiness Hotel", "Together Again" (MMW).

Disc 2:
  • Muppet Bohemian Rhapsody
  • Ode to Joy
  • Swedish Chef: Popcorn
  • The Muppets Kitchen (all episodes)
  • Disney Drive On (all episodes)
  • Pepe's Elevator Tapes
  • 2007 Presentation Pitch
  • Broadway show test footage
  • America's Next Muppet
  • Video footage shot for The Muppet Show on Tour
  • The Magical World of Disney introductions for A Muppet Family Christmas and The Muppets at Walt Disney World
  • TGIF bumpers with the Muppets
  • "She Drives Me Crazy" music video (the version with wrap-arounds)
  • "The Muppet Show Theme" music video with OK GO
  • "Here Comes the Muppets" pre-show
  • Disney Channel Promos

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Today I thought of something that would be cool (though I think I suggested something like it before). A reference book on every production The Jim Henson Company did. All Muppet and Bear productions (at least the ones that Henson made), all Sesame Street productions, all movies the Creature Shop made creatures for (though I'm unsure if it should include all movies that the Creature Shop was involved with; specifically, I don't know if it should include movies where the Creature Shop only did make-up, costuming, and/or digital effects... But then again, that would allow for the last two Muppet movies to be included), all commercials, industrial films, test pilots, maybe even list every television appearance. Not sure about live stage shows, albums with original content, or computer/video games (well, I'd say yes to Muppets Inside, the Muppet Treasure Island CD-ROM, and the InteractiVision games, but am undecided on games with no original live-action but with the performers voices, like Big Bird's Hide and Speak or Muppet Race Mania).

So here's a basic style guide I have in mind (I might be a bit more detailed in what I want later):

For all productions, along with the title there'd be a release year (for series it'd list all of it's years in production), then a list of prominent cast and crew. For movies and maybe specials, it'd list who plays who in what production, but for series, the performers listing would just list Muppet performers, along with how long they were on each series (if they weren't on the show for the entire run), though for human cast it would list who plays who (I think for Sesame Street it would just need to be a small selection of notable cast members, mainly those currently on the show and cast members who were on for nearly ten seasons, I'd also list all the Gordon actors). For TV shows, I'd list what channels originally aired the shows, and I'd list who owns the distribution rights to what production (at least if it's not owned by Henson, Disney, or Sesame Workshop, though it would probably be good to note that as well).

For TV shows, I'd include sections on the shows basic in-universe premise, behind-the-scenes info, success/fan reception, maybe a section on notable moments/episodes, and then an episode list. My preference would be to list them by broadcast order, but if I had to list the production order, I'd put the broadcast number in parenthesis. An example: Muppets Tonight - "Episode 102: Martin Short (#110)". Maybe the broadcast dates would be included (which might take care of the broadcast order). I wouldn't include episode guides for Sam and Friends (I wonder if the archives even include a full episode listing) or Sesame Street and any Sesame-related series (there's too many of them, and they don't have titles anyways). For The Jim Henson Hour, I'd list the basic premise and provide an episode list, while also including separate entries for The Storyteller and all the specials (and maybe a separate entry for MuppeTelevision, though I feel I'd cover most of that under The Jim Henson Hour).

For Sesame Street, I'd provide info on the shows premise, behind the scenes info, a section on the Muppets of Sesame Street, a section on memorable moments, and a section on animation and film, with a heavy emphasis on the film and animation inserts Jim Henson did. Sections on all the international co-productions would be smaller.

For movies, I'd list a basic plot summary, behind the scenes info, and how well they did in the theaters and afterwards (for movies that feature the work of the Creature Shop but not produced by The Jim Henson Company, I'd probably just provide a summary and a section on what the company did for the films). Sections on specials would be similar, though I'd also have sections on highlights from the specials (especially for variety specials and specials with no real plot).

For direct-to-video series, I'd provide a summary of the collection and maybe a little info on some videos and then a list of all titles in the collections. I'd lump all the Sesame Street videos into one big list (and probably only list videos with original footage, maybe have separate entries on videos that are all-original content or really notable). It would be great to also include a section on how successful the videos were.

For commercials and industrial films, I'd list how many the company made, provide an opening section on the products in general, and then talk about Henson's contributions. Shows that the Muppets made guest appearances on would be similar, but I'd also like to list all the dates that they appeared on, whenever possible. I'd sort of like to list what characters were in what appearances, or what acts they performed or note certain appearances (like if they were hosting/taking over the show), but then again, that could be included in the body of the section.

I might feel like I'm dreaming if I expect something like this to happen, but it'd be cool. And I have something similar in mind for Sesame Street (look in the 45th anniversary ideas thread for that).

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Wow, that would take a lot of time, but it would be really cool. Sadly, I doubt they will do anything for their 60th anniversary, though it would be cool to have like a 60th anniversary muppet DVD. The first disc could have Sam and Friends and SS, the second one could have TMS, MT, JHH, and some scenes from the muppet movies, and disc three could have FR. Sadly, I doubt the companies would cooperate. Oh well, maybe Disney will release the muppet movies on Blu-Ray again, though not likely.