Muppet Classic Theater Revisited

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've noticed that in the video, the Elvises look blueish-green (actually I see green more than blue), but on the back cover they are clearly blue.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
All these years I've thought of it taking place at the Muppet Theater, but I wonder if that really is the theater. We don't see the backstage, just the technical area which I guess is in the wings (or backstage left). The auditorium looks a lot different from what was on the show, no red at all (not even red curtains, though there have been times when other colored curtains were shown). Maybe they repainted the place since the show ended.
Just watched the video, and noticed at the beginning that Gonzo says "Welcome to the Muppet Theater!"

I wonder if they didn't want to rebuild the backstage (assuming the original is no longer in good condition), which would explain why we only see a technical area near the stage. It's a shame they didn't rebuild the auditorium and curtains to resemble the Muppet Theater auditorium.

Noticed in The Boy Who Cried Wolf that although Gonzo does overreact, the townspeople seem to overreact to Gonzo's announcements, it sort of seems they overreact worse. And telling them that a wolf is after his sheep doesn't seem as far-fetched as many of the incorrect stuff they say Gonzo overreacted to in the song "Who Do You Think You're Fooling?" (the earthquake and tidal wave don't seem that far-fetched, either... If only they really felt an earthquake or if the town was near an ocean).

The wolf tells Gonzo he'd been watching him cry wolf so many times, but what makes him so sure they all wouldn't believe him this time? Did he watch the townspeople have a meeting about it? Did he see mayor Kermit tell them not to believe what the sheppard said? Kermit seems to be the only one not "fooled" by Kermit, though one line he sings in the song is "You had us running from a hundred-foot cow", implying that he did believe that. Somehow I feel like when Gonzo told them about the wolf, some if not all of the townspeople should have started to believe Gonzo only for Kermit to point out how wrong Gonzo's always been.

All these years, whent eh wolf told Gonzo he'd give him 24 hours to get some help, I always thought that meant he'd give him some help for 24 hours, as opposed to letting him try to get help from the townspeople (though the wolf DOES help him, posing for a painting and a picture).

Watching Rumplestilskin again, I noticed that after a potential princess gets rejected by the advisor, an alligator follows and make some kind of grunting noise, it sounded like a Frank Oz voice to me. Not too sure if it actually was, but it's cool to think that maybe Frank performed, even if briefly, a character who wasn't one of his classic characters.

In King Midas, the royal jewler offers "Three-fifty for the whole frog!" Is he saying three dollars and fifty cents or three hundred and fifty dollars?

And all this time I thought the Royal Jester was the Royal Chef. Hey, he does wear chef clothing. I wonder why I'd always misheard it all these years.

rexcrk

Reaction score
This was one of the few Muppet tapes I had when I was growing up (that along with one of the sing-along tapes and Muppet Christmas Carol.... honestly I don't know why my parents never bought more Muppet movies on tape or how I even became such a huge Muppet nut with such little material to work with lol) and I want to watch it again now lol. Especially now that I've got a DVD recorder, I want to copy it to DVD.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Have a tape, I found it in a thrift store, but I didn't really know what it was, but I got it anyway. I think it's an okay/good video, I mean I've only watched it twicem in the nearly 1 year time-span that I've owned it, so I'm not too fond of it, it's decent, but I wish there were more central muppets in it. I think one thing they should've done was incorporate a few backstage scenes, not too long, but to set a "behind the scenes TMS" feel, I mean all there was besides the actual show was the beginning, and Gonzo and Rizzo briefly in between, but overal I'd give it a 7.2/10.

fozzieisfunny

Reaction score
Muppet Classic Theater, Muppet Babies, The Muppet Show Seasons 4 and 5, and Studio DC all need to be released on DVD!! ( Wait, did I really just say that about Studio DC: Almost Live? I hate that!!!)

Princeton

Reaction score
I think the reason why there weren't that many original Muppets was because this was a pilot for Muppets Tonight in very many ways so the main priority was to try new characters to see how they worked and also to audition new performers to see what their strengths were.

WalterFan1234

Reaction score
I think the reason why there weren't that many original Muppets was because this was a pilot for Muppets Tonight in very many ways so the main priority was to try new characters to see how they worked and also to audition new performers to see what their strengths were.
Good thinking. I bet that's what's up

Princeton

Reaction score
Something else that occurred to me after starting this thread: when Gonzo takes a picture of the wolf and shows it to the villagers, he has presented them with proof and yet that doesn't seem to make a difference. Is the point supposed to be that it was the villagers have more deep-set issues than Gonzo?