Your Thoughts: "The Great Muppet Caper" and "Muppet Treasure Island" on Blu-ray

DutchMuppet

Reaction score
I think MTI looks great. And as an extra I got GMC for free in HD. Yes, GMC looks awful in the beginning but after the first minutes (when they leave the hot air balloon), GMC looks fine. I think that the film quality of the original tapes weren't good enough for a good blu-ray release. Does anyone know which camera recorded both movies? If it's directly recorded to VHS (like Donnie Darko), better quality isn't possible. Therefore the tape has no HD quality. Nothing beats 35mm (or 16mm)!

SweetPiggy

Reaction score
I'll be getting these soon. I'v already got them on VHS and almost every dvd re-issue they'v put out.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I recently got the Blu-Ray. I love it! The best part is that everything is subtitled, even the commentary, so you have no problem telling what they are saying. The only minor complaints I have are that, they didn't keep the Hidden Treasures in the commentary and Let the Good Shine Out wasn't subtitled like the rest. Still, I love it!

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I'm a little dissapointed that there were basically NO great muppet caper centric special features besides Pepe's Profils thing. That thing's been passed about so many dvd and blu-ray releases that the one on the muppet movie release was called a "classic bonus feature" lol. I can't understand why this release is more about Treasure Island. How is a crime caperhot as exciting as treasure island. GMC is from the origanal trilogy of muppet movies before the un-original MCC and MTI. After that the muppet films had quite bad reviews even if they were good like MFS, IAVMMCM, MWoO, and LTS. Then the TM came and the muppets lived happily ever after. It could've been much better, but at least Disney released the two films on Blu-Ray.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Wishful thinking, I know, but I wouldn't have minded if the original ITC and Universal intro logos were restored for "Caper". Not to mention the original audio bits for "Night Life" and the scene where Piggy walks away after Kermit discovers that she isn't Lady Holiday. Just those minor things that only overly-obsessed fans like me would want to see. :smile: But an HD print of the version we're all used to seeing is certainly fine.

panmanthe2nd

Reaction score
Wishful thinking, I know, but I wouldn't have minded if the original ITC and Universal intro logos were restored for "Caper". Not to mention the original audio bits for "Night Life" and the scene where Piggy walks away after Kermit discovers that she isn't Lady Holiday. Just those minor things that only overly-obsessed fans like me would want to see. :smile: But an HD print of the version we're all used to seeing is certainly fine.
Do any of the VHS releases have the intro logos? And which of the VHS releases have the original audio? I've been wanting to get one for a while now.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Do any of the VHS releases have the intro logos? And which of the VHS releases have the original audio? I've been wanting to get one for a while now.
Not sure if this version was ever released on VHS, but it was definitely shown on TV. Here's the original intro (skip to 0:12):

From what I understand, the "Night Life" sequence was either originally completely verbal or completely instrumental. The version we're used to seeing combines both the verbal and instrumental recordings (both of which can be heard in full on the soundtrack release). Here's a short bit from the tale end of "Night Life". Not much to talk about, as we don't actually hear any of the song. But what's interesting is that we can only hear Animal laughing. In the version we're used to seeing, we hear all of the band laughing.

The scene with Piggy that we're used to seeing has her walking away in a London alley, with quiet music playing in the background; a cat and the sound of a trash can falling over can also be heard. The original version ended with the sound of church bells in the background. You can catch a split second of the church bells version at the very beginning:

Maybe it's just me, but the bells heard in the background at the beginning of this clip sound louder than in the commonly-seen version.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I don't like how this review says that these are the least-liked of the movies or haven't foudn much of an audience outside of the more hardcore fans. I feel like they are very well-known to casual fans (it seems people I know who aren't hardcore fans really like MTI). It's obvious from the review that the reviewer likes these two the least, but in the starting paragraphs it seems he thinks they are not that well-liked or known (Muppet Treasure Island is the third highest-grossing Muppet film, though I guess box office numbers don't always translate to how those who saw it liked it).

When it comes to Muppet films that haven't found much of an audience, I would say MTM and MFS are those films (and ironically they're the ones owned by Sony AND as a result have been paired together on DVD). Though I feel like none of the theatrical films are too obscure, at least to those who grew up with the Muppets at least a decade ago and were familiar with the Muppets long before 2011's The Muppets. I can see various specials being obscure or unknown to the casual fans, but I'd have a hard time believing that any long-time casual Muppet fans would not be aware of all the theatrical movies (except maybe Muppets from Space, but then that one seems to be a bit infamous).
I got really annoyed too, because "Caper" is my all-time favorite and "Island" is also one I love, but this is what the general public thinks...

TMM - Ohh, the all-time classic with the rainbow connection and like kermit and miss piggy, toats adore it

GMC - ????????????????????????????? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: the muppets did a caper

MTM - oh the muppet babies and sesame street and oh kermit and miss piggy get married, oh i love that oh, and i love the wedding :smile:

MCC - oh that's my favorite muppet movie oh i love kermit and miss piggy as a couple, oh i was like toats crying when the miss piggy and kermit child died, so sad

MTI - muppets and pirates????????????? WAAAAAAAAAT??? Don't you mean pirates of the Caribbean ??????????/:confused::confused::confused:

MFS - EWWW, that's like the bad one, eww like all my friends hate it so like i do to.

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT MY OPINION, JUST MY OPINION OF THE PUBLIC'S OPINION!!

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
I got really annoyed too, because "Caper" is my all-time favorite and "Island" is also one I love, but this is what the general public thinks...

TMM - Ohh, the all-time classic with the rainbow connection and like kermit and miss piggy, toats adore it

GMC - ????????????????????????????? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: the muppets did a caper

MTM - oh the muppet babies and sesame street and oh kermit and miss piggy get married, oh i love that oh, and i love the wedding :smile:

MCC - oh that's my favorite muppet movie oh i love kermit and miss piggy as a couple, oh i was like toats crying when the miss piggy and kermit child died, so sad

MTI - muppets and pirates????????????? WAAAAAAAAAT??? Don't you mean pirates of the Caribbean ??????????/:confused::confused::confused:

MFS - EWWW, that's like the bad one, eww like all my friends hate it so like i do to.

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT MY OPINION, JUST MY OPINION OF THE PUBLIC'S OPINION!!
I disagree with that. A lot.

I feel like The Muppet Movie is a classic everyone remembers, yes. But does the PUBLIC know of any of the other classic Muppet films? I can tell you for one before I started liking the Muppets the only movies I knew of were TMM, MCC, MTI, and MFS. In my honest opinion, I feel like the public were more exposed to Muppets From Space pre- The Muppets 2011 time. At all my local stores I could only find that on DVD. Had to go online to get everything else. I think that more people liked MFS. Obviously the Muppet fan community didn't, because it didn't have the same Muppet charm as the classics. But I feel like the public liked this more current, edgier Muppet production a lot more than they would of the likes of MTM.

I don't think that you can speak for the public, because you aren't the public. You are a Muppet fan. That post seems like it is more the mind of a casual Muppet fan.

I think that the DVD pairing is good. Young kids love pirates, and Muppets on top of that! (Wow! AWESOME! Mom buy this for me!) And then to have a classic thrown in for exposure, that's really cool. MTI could have stood on it's own as a DVD release, but I am not so sure GMC could, because not many people knew about it.

Not trying to cause fights, it just seemed as though you had a jaded opinion on the "public".

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I disagree with that. A lot.

I feel like The Muppet Movie is a classic everyone remembers, yes. But does the PUBLIC know of any of the other classic Muppet films? I can tell you for one before I started liking the Muppets the only movies I knew of were TMM, MCC, MTI, and MFS. In my honest opinion, I feel like the public were more exposed to Muppets From Space pre- The Muppets 2011 time. At all my local stores I could only find that on DVD. Had to go online to get everything else. I think that more people liked MFS. Obviously the Muppet fan community didn't, because it didn't have the same Muppet charm as the classics. But I feel like the public liked this more current, edgier Muppet production a lot more than they would of the likes of MTM.

I don't think that you can speak for the public, because you aren't the public. You are a Muppet fan. That post seems like it is more the mind of a casual Muppet fan.

I think that the DVD pairing is good. Young kids love pirates, and Muppets on top of that! (Wow! AWESOME! Mom buy this for me!) And then to have a classic thrown in for exposure, that's really cool. MTI could have stood on it's own as a DVD release, but I am not so sure GMC could, because not many people knew about it.

Not trying to cause fights, it just seemed as though you had a jaded opinion on the "public".
Ya, what you said is true, but it was meant as more of a lousy pun, because this is basically what I think the public thinks and yes it is not really what the public thinks/