Muppet Show Season 4 coming in 2013

Drtooth

Reaction score
All I meant was that Disney isn't releasing anything tv-series related right now.
They barely do at that. Ultimate Spider-Man got like 12 out of order episodes, and that's generous. Phineas and Ferb get their episodes cut into movies until recently when out of order episode segments (read: not full half hour episodes) on 2 disk sets (when they totally could fit into one). Even Gravity Falls gets the 1999 treatment- 6 whole episodes on a single disk. At least they're in order there, so that's something.

I'd be more angry at Disney for their overall TV on DVD releases, but then again, I', still really annoyed at their not at all complete seasons of The Tick featuring Comedy Central edits, missing episodes, and no plans to finish the series that had one lousy shortened season left. Disney has no business and wants no business releasing TV shows on DVD. We were freaking lucky to even get the first three seasons. WITH Bonus features. They couldn't even do that with their Disney Afternoon sets.

Eyeball

Reaction score
They barely do at that. Ultimate Spider-Man got like 12 out of order episodes, and that's generous. Phineas and Ferb get their episodes cut into movies until recently when out of order episode segments (read: not full half hour episodes) on 2 disk sets (when they totally could fit into one). Even Gravity Falls gets the 1999 treatment- 6 whole episodes on a single disk. At least they're in order there, so that's something.

I'd be more angry at Disney for their overall TV on DVD releases, but then again, I', still really annoyed at their not at all complete seasons of The Tick featuring Comedy Central edits, missing episodes, and no plans to finish the series that had one lousy shortened season left. Disney has no business and wants no business releasing TV shows on DVD. We were freaking lucky to even get the first three seasons. WITH Bonus features. They couldn't even do that with their Disney Afternoon sets.
Fair enough, but they must realise that loads of people want it, and how much money they could be getting by releasing the final 2 seasons on DVD? It's not like were asking for world peace now is it lol? And I for one am fighting this cause until the bitter end.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That is, again, providing that this is Disney's fault for not wanting to release it. I really wish Disney outsourced production on these DVD's to some other company. We got Animated Beetlejuice and a good portion of Nicktoons because of outsourcing to SHOUT. Disney even outsourced some of their mediocre sitcoms to Lionsgate.

But if it really is the music rights tie up, well... nothing can really be done. Long rant that ends with me calling estates and record companies out of touch misers who would rather license the songs to laxative commercials. You know how it goes.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
The popularity of streaming has changed the home video market. It offers more options without overhead and I'm not sure that the rights issues would be any different than if the programs were broadcast. That might be the future of all this. I just wish we'd get the final seasons of TMS. It most likely does have to do with securing rights. Disney's patient. They can wait. They own the Muppets in perpetuity. Music rights, however, are known to change hands.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The era of physical home video is coming to an end, it's true... but Disney has yet to stream the Muppet Show episodes they did release. Streaming is a good thing, but there's so much horrendous politics behind who gets what and who gets to keep what for what amount of time. A slight disagreement can cause a series or movie to be pulled. If anything, the home video market has some stability behind it. At worst, pulled DVD rights leave you with some of the series.

mr3urious

Reaction score
The era of physical home video is coming to an end, it's true... but Disney has yet to stream the Muppet Show episodes they did release. Streaming is a good thing, but there's so much horrendous politics behind who gets what and who gets to keep what for what amount of time. A slight disagreement can cause a series or movie to be pulled. If anything, the home video market has some stability behind it. At worst, pulled DVD rights leave you with some of the series.
And the Internet can go down, don't forget that.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
At the end of the day, at least we got something from Disney. Think about it, a decade ago all we had were those "Best of" DVDs for $22.95! Now we have 3 seasons on DVD, and if we want S4 or S5 we just search them up on YT. Though, I wonder if this would not be a problem if Jim were alive. I mean when he was, we didn't get full episodes on DVD, just segments like this were SS or something. Even in the early 90's we got segments, not episodes. Still, I think if we ever want these last two DVDs we'll have to really fight for them.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
The era of physical home video is coming to an end, it's true...
I disagree.

All I meant was that Disney isn't releasing anything tv-series related right now.
It's annoying all the crap people give about Disney. They did a lot for the Muppets. Would I like to see seasons 4 and 5 come out? Yeah, of course! But will whining and complaining that Disney doesn't know what they are doing help? No. I have waited for a good 5 years now and will do so until it is released.
I agree with you on this one.

Please stop the pessimism and jumping to conclusions, DrTooth. It's not healthy and it will not help our cause.

Disney DOES care, even if it takes a long time to release stuff. And I do think that the TMS Seasons delays are NOT their fault. As people Jvcarroll and OpenVault Disney have stated, Disney WANTS to release the rest of the show and they know that the whole world wants that to happen, but still need to clear all of the rights issues with certain songs and celebrity estates (though I wish we could know which specific rights-holders and estates are refusing to cough up the licenses that Disney needs in order to release them, so we can go after them and not Disney). We also need to get the estates and rights-holders to realize that they too are losing money by not granting the licenses, so they too would make tons of cash by having such a famous TV show being released on DVD.

Last edited:

fozzieisfunny

Reaction score
How many years has it been since we've heard about season 4 coming out on DVD? Looks like Disney has broke their promise for the hundredth time... Like we didn't know that that was going to happen.