Rumor: Muppets Stage Show

fozzieisfunny

Reaction score
Disney, if you're reading this, I will now do something similar to what Pinkflower7783 said:

DISNEY, MAKE IT!!!

muppetperson

Reaction score
SSLFan beat me to it.

YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES! This is a confirmed rumor, according to Stitch Kingdom, (probably the most reliable online Disney fan website) that Disney HAS IN FACT made a fifteen minute segment seeing how the Muppets would work on stage.

I think they've been considering this ever since the great response from the Muppet's All-Star Comedy Gala last year in Montreal, (I still can't believe I missed it!) Remember when Disney bought the domain names MUPPETSONBROADWAY.COM and MUPPETSONTOUR.COM ? This must be it! Disney really wants to make this! Toughpigs reported that over a year ago, also via Stitch Kingdom.

I do hope this gets green-lighted in some way. If it's either a Broadway show, or a continuous travelling show, that would be amazing. :smile:
I don't know why Disney are seeing if it will work. It has already been done before, both in their Theme Park and various travelling shows, prior.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's kind of how live theater works. Lion King, Book of Mormon, Jersey Boys, they all use the same script for each performance. What makes each show unique is the different interpretation and energy put into each performance. Maybe they'll have a rotation of a few different guest stars and that could change things up a bit, but I wouldn't expect a different show every day.
Let's not forget the room for improvisation. Either intentional or out of necessity to cover up mistakes that will happen in a live show.

Slackbot

Reaction score
It's an interesting article, but the idea that they would do it in the style of Avenue Q, with the puppeteers visible--that would be a huge no-go. Not only because of the "Don't spoil the magic" policy, but because it would also show the puppeteers versus the soundtrack. Either you have a prerecorded soundtrack, or you get puppeteers who can nail the voices. If the former, then the puppeteers would have to lip-synch both themselves and the puppet to the soundtrack, or it would look really fake.

I dunno--I have a hard time believing they could put the Muppets on Broadway without big walkaround costumes, and...well, I just don't like how those look.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
FrackleFan2012 said:
It's an interesting article, but the idea that they would do it in the style of Avenue Q, with the puppeteers visible--that would be a huge no-go. Not only because of the "Don't spoil the magic" policy, but because it would also show the puppeteers versus the soundtrack. Either you have a prerecorded soundtrack, or you get puppeteers who can nail the voices. If the former, then the puppeteers would have to lip-synch both themselves and the puppet to the soundtrack, or it would look really fake.

I dunno--I have a hard time believing they could put the Muppets on Broadway without big walkaround costumes, and...well, I just don't like how those look.
This definitely can be done!

Understudies
I understand why understudies are a bad idea for the Muppets in general, but they're a crucial component of theater. Each character would need to be performed live and that would require understudies. There are plenty of talented puppeteers that could fill in and pick up the task. As long as there are no all-understudy performances and each show contains at least a few original players, I don't really have a problem with that. Such is theater.

No pre-recordings
This is Broadway, not Six Flags or Sesame Street Live. Those types of programs have their merits, but Broadway auds expect a certain level of professionalism. Theater is a live artform. Any pre-recorded material would have to be kept to a minimum.

Concealed puppeteers mixed with full-bodied characters.
There are many ways to conceal puppeteers. If you've ever seen a Broadway show, you know how beautifully intricate some sets can be. I'd imagine one of the main setpieces would be the backstage. Most techniques would require rather static or limited setups. Maybe some areas would be blacked out so that puppeteers could vanish behind all-black costumes. Also, full-bodied monsters like Sweetums would definitely help keep the action moving. Maybe of the few medium-sized Muppets like Bobo and monsters like Carl or Luncheon Counter could be fleshed out into costumes, but the main Muppet group should remain puppets.

Main performers
The only obstacle here is the main performers. How much they'll get paid, their availability and willingness. Running around stage every night is challenging for performers of any age. Some veterans might sit this out.

So yeah. This is entirely doable.

Slackbot

Reaction score
I remain very skeptical. If you want me to believe this can be done, show it to me. Please show it to me, because I would love to see it does as well as you imagine it can be.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I remain very skeptical. If you want me to believe this can be done, show it to me. Please show it to me, because I would love to see it does as well as you imagine it can be.
I guess I'm more of a Muppety spirit about this. I believe the craziest thing can be done. Why not? With all the limitations people pose, I see multiple opportunities. :smile:

Slackbot

Reaction score
Oh, I believe that such a thing could be done. But I never lose sight of the reality that Disney is a business, and will do what best suits their corporate philosophy, not what will make us hardcore fans happy. They'd never let us see the puppeteers in action...not unless there is a drastic shift in their thinking, anyway. And that would be a delight.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Oh, I believe that such a thing could be done. But I never lose sight of the reality that Disney is a business, and will do what best suits their corporate philosophy, not what will make us hardcore fans happy. They'd never let us see the puppeteers in action...not unless there is a drastic shift in their thinking, anyway. And that would be a delight.
That's true. Well, maybe they could do the curtain call. But I doubt they'd do the show Ave Q style too.