Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
Hmm. Well, looks like Planes could perform in line with the first one. Who isn't glad this won't be a hit?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Planes made almost double its budget the first time... mainly because it was a very low budget film. The thing was made for DVD, so it shouldn't be a surprise. This film could forseeably do alright, but I just never see the toys selling. I saw huge endcaps at Target of them on 70% clearance next to the just released toys from the new film. Maybe I'm just not in a part of the country that kids really like them enough to buy them. Though it would be great if this was continuing the trend of under-performing family animated movies. Last thing we need is for Disney to become the talking vehicles company.

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
Yup. I too live in your area, from clues I've gotten in past postings from you, and planes isn't popular with the 3-7 year-old boys around here. I've seen like 2 planes shirts, 1 backpack, and I don't know if I've seen more.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
It's annoying and depressing that audience have been giving planes 2 a 66% from audiences and MMW only has 64%. Really? This film better bomb to teach Disney a lesson that they can't release whatever bogus film in theaters.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if MMW's fan ratings are the4 same as the stupidest of the critics, whining about how the film wasn't emotionally manipulative and didn't star Jason Segal, even though he ONLY wanted to work on that one. Or a bunch of dopes that watched like one Muppet movie back when they were kids, and didn't like how everyone sounded wrong or something.

It seems the general consensus for Planes IS that the second film's lack of a lame sports movie cliche storm is a great improvement. And while I still have no intention of ever seeing or caring about this film series, I can at least agree to that. Even if it does look like a 90 minute episode of Rescue Heroes with bad jokes thrown in.

Muppet Master

Reaction score

Drtooth

Reaction score
Anyone else think that the big Tornado movie in 3-D is kinda in bad taste considering the huge outbreak of tornadoes we've seen in the past few years? Movies are supposed to be escapist. I don't think anyone's dying to see a fake tornado fake kill a bunch of fake people when the real thing gets pretty gruesome real reports on the evening news.

Plus, it just looks stupid.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Anyone else think that the big Tornado movie in 3-D is kinda in bad taste considering the huge outbreak of tornadoes we've seen in the past few years? Movies are supposed to be escapist. I don't think anyone's dying to see a fake tornado fake kill a bunch of fake people when the real thing gets pretty gruesome real reports on the evening news.

Plus, it just looks stupid.
There are always natural disasters. By that criteria, everything is in bad taste. Murder mysteries, illness dramas, war movies etc. I just think that tornado movie looks terrible - like Sharknado without the sharks. :stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
You got a point there, but I just don't see many people rushing out to see a bad movie about tornadoes with the unnaturally high number of tornadoes, even ones popping up where they never did before. Aside from that, yeah. Michael Bay couldn't make a dumber movie. Between that and Step Up "Sort of Hunger Games-ish concepts version," TMNT is pretty much the Lawrence of Arabia of that week's releases.

Still, you gotta wonder... what delusions of grandeur did Disney/Marvel and Paramount have to release 2 blockbuster films in August? I've never heard of a big budget movie doing well in that month. Hopefully the big name brands behind them will grab some audiences. GOTG toys are already selling (at least the minifigure 3 packs), and Marvel has been getting the word out about the characters via Ultimate Spider-Man (twice) and Avengers Assemble.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Sad to see "Apes" dethroned so quickly by a pathetic horror film. Also, looks like planes 2 is going to fall way behind the first film :smile:, serves Disney right, if it follows the first plane's pattern than we'll most likely get $16-$17 million for the weekend and the film has a $50 million budget! WOW, seems like MMW all over again, looks like disney'll lose some money from planes 2.