Muppets Most Wanted Box Office Numbers

DarthGonzo

Reaction score
I think its a decent box office run, And I hope the next film to be announced! but this time with another director! to fresh up !! maybe Brian Henson or Frank Oz again...Why not?? or another one...
How is making a little over $51 million domestically on a $50 million budget a "decent box office run". Muppet Central is the only place that seems to be attempting to spin the movies box office into something that isn't horrifically negative. The movie's budget doesn't even take into consideration marketing and the percentage taken by theaters. So even the (relatively paltry) overseas box office doesn't even help. The first film doubled it's budget domestically, and made almost as much as MMW's US gross in less than a week. And the first film's worldwide total was over twice was MMW has made so far. Everyone I've asked pretty much considers this movie a failure.

We're not getting another one.

DarthGonzo

Reaction score
That's probably what you said back in 1999...and you were wrong.
It took 12 years to get another one. And a LOT changed in that time.

Odds seriously don't favor another Muppet film within the next 5-6 years, at least not from the people who made the last two.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
It took 12 years to get another one. And a LOT changed in that time.

Odds seriously don't favor another Muppet film within the next 5-6 years, at least not from the people who made the last two.
Ya, but by saying "We're Not Getting Another One", that means that in the remaining years of human cilivilization, not one more muppet movie will surface. Yes, obviously there's no way we're getting another one from Disney and/or James Bobin. Though, we might get a TV-Movie.

DarthGonzo

Reaction score
Ya, but by saying "We're Not Getting Another One", that means that in the remaining years of human cilivilization, not one more muppet movie will surface.
That's not what I meant and I'm sure you know that.

I clearly meant that we're not getting another one in the same time frame that we got the last one. That's just not going to happen. Could there be another one some day? Sure. But I doubt we'll see another one in the same vein as The Muppets and MMW. If MMW can only make a fraction of what the first one made, why in their right mind would Disney make a third.

More features clearly aren't in the Muppets' immediate future.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I choose the optimistic example of Jim over the pessimism I've been hearing from the usual suspects. Here are the facts:
  • Muppets Most Wanted underperformed, but not in a tragic way like Muppets From Space. That was yanked from the theaters within ten days of release and fast-tracked to home video.
  • The marketing for the home video release has already begun with the new Lipton Tea ads. This success will likely be the predictor of their fuzzy futures.
  • It's a generally well reviewed film, even though it didn't hit the same mark as the previous movie.
  • MMW is more of an authentic Muppet movie in the tradition of Jim's first three. There's no opinion here. The writing, direction and music follow the classic template much more closely.
  • Even with all the promotion from Disney, March movies have always been a hard-sell.
  • Modern auds seem to have difficulty with humor that combines silliness with sophistication. Subversive humor generally flies over their heads. Monty Python wouldn't likely fare much better at the modern box office. I hope this trend changes.
  • The Muppets have always been a hard-sell since the age of The Muppet Show. They're misfits trapped in the changing landscape of entertainment and they've got company. Even movie stars are turning to television and streaming services because the silver screen only wants sparkly vampires, giant robots and super heroes. That seems like a bad thing, but it's really just growing pains of an industry. In fact, it's an exciting time.
  • Lastly, the Muppets aren't leaving. They're exploring other avenues that reportedly include Broadway, television and internet appearances. Few people go to the movies anymore. The Muppets are going to where the people are. Where they can get more bang for their buck.
I understand that not everyone loved the last film. I did!! Very much so! But those who didn't enjoy it need not preach doom and gloom for the franchise. I find that to be premature and kind of petty. I agree that if/when they return to the silver screen one day, it will be under different writers and likely a different director. I think it's time to give Thatcher a shot at it. Right now, I'd rather see them in a new show or maybe some Muppet Show-like specials. That last option is certainly less expensive and would be more widely watched.

Last edited:

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I choose the optimistic example of Jim over the pessimism I've been hearing from the usual suspects. Here are the facts:
  • Muppets Most Wanted underperformed, but not in a tragic way like Muppets From Space. That was yanked from the theaters within ten days of release and fast-tracked to home video.
  • The marketing for the home video release has already begun with the new Lipton Tea ads. This success will likely be the predictor of their fuzzy futures.
  • It's a generally well reviewed film, even though it didn't hit the same mark as the previous movie.
  • MMW is more of an authentic Muppet movie in the tradition of Jim's first three. There's no opinion here. The writing, direction and music follow the classic template much more closely.
  • Even with all the promotion from Disney, March movies have always been a hard-sell.
  • Modern auds seem to have difficulty with humor that combines silliness with sophistication. Subversive humor generally flies over their heads. Monty Python wouldn't likely fare much better at the modern box office. I hope this trend changes.
  • The Muppets have always been a hard-sell since the age of The Muppet Show. They're misfits trapped in the changing landscape of entertainment and they've got company. Even movie stars are turning to television and streaming services because the silver screen only wants sparkly vampires, giant robots and super heroes. That seems like a bad thing, but it's really just growing pains of an industry. In fact, it's an exciting time.
  • Lastly, the Muppets aren't leaving. They're exploring other avenues that reportedly include Broadway, television and internet appearances. Few people go to the movies anymore. The Muppets are going to where the people are. Where they can get more bang for their buck.
I understand that not everyone loved the last film. I did!! Very much so! But those who didn't enjoy it need not preach doom and gloom for the franchise. I find that to be premature and kind of petty. I agree that if/when they return to the silver screen one day, it will be under different writers and likely a different director. I think it's time to give Thatcher a shot at it. Right now, I'd rather see them in a new show or maybe some Muppet Show-like specials. That last option is certainly less expensive and would be more widely watched.
Thank you very much! You know, this film was a reminder that the muppets belonged in other places to, well to Disney at least. Who knows, maybe the film under performing will lead to Disney making a new prime-time muppet show, so in a way its under performance could benefit us. Anyways, let's just be thankful that we got two wonderful muppet films, and that we're still not in the MFS mourning period where there were still NO muppet films.Sure it'd be cool to see a third muppet movie, but for what it's worth at least we got something which is better than nothing. Heck, we should be thankful that anyone even decided to make new muppet movies considering how much MFS bombed! We're lucky we didn't just have endless DTVs and TV Movies/Specials forever. At least now, new generations have discovered the muppets, including me, and hopefully will pass them on to a next generation. So, we got two, and that's good enough for me.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Plus, let us not forget that Muppets Most Wanted likely didn't spend much on advertising. Their crossovers with Lipton, Toyota, Yoplait and Subway likely made them more money than they spent on full-fledged previews. Some could feel cynical about it, but this is the future of promotion and product placement and it was done thoughtfully. Everything about the MMW campaign was smart...except for the March release date.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Plus, let us not forget that Muppets Most Wanted likely didn't spend much on advertising. Their crossovers with Lipton, Toyota, Yoplait and Subway likely made them more money than they spent on full-fledged previews. Some could feel cynical about it, but this is the future of promotion and product placement and it was done thoughtfully. Everything about the MMW campaign was smart...except for the March release date.
Yes, the advertisements could have made them money, not lost them. Also, the March release date was a mindless move, they should have chosen a summer release date. Look at Planes 2, it opened to what MMW did, and even though it only made $9 million come weekend 2, its weekday totals add up to enough that it'll sadly, but most likely eclipse MMW's total, and its equivalent $50 million budget. Even better would have been Memorial Day Weekend or much better, Thanksgiving Weekend, that would have made it at least more money than what it has now.