Pre-Order "Muppets Most Wanted" Blu-ray available August 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Who is this Luke Bonanno person and what makes this critique particularly noteworthy? I've never heard of this site before. I really disagree with this review. Furthermore, I find it to be quite amateurish in that it rehashes the plot for far too long. A review shouldn't be a synopsis.

Anyway, this critic's praise of the human performers and their rather on-the-nose performances in the last film over the integrated ones in this one says it all. The Muppets were the stars this time around. What true fan wouldn't prefer that?

There are many who'd prefer the Muppets to retrace old steps rather than move on and forge new ground within their classic tradition. The last film was basically a reintroduction and a highlights reel. While I liked 2011's film, "Muppets Most Wanted" is far superior in every way that makes a classic Muppet movie great. Even Brian Henson was thrilled with the results this time around.

Eugh to nearly everything about this dull review. I give it one out of five stars. :attitude:

NathanEsser

Reaction score
**Spoilers**

So from what I have read and gathered from others
The full sequale song, interagation song, and cockatoo in Malbu songs are complete like the soundtrack.

The introduction of the old train along with fozzies dinning cart comment are included.

There are more scenes of Consantaine karate chopping with scooter, the Dominic and Consantine toilet gag, Danny treo's joke with Wocka wocka, more of kermit yelling at the prisons, Nanda explaining to kermit who Constantine is, a gag with Gonzo after constanine proposes to Piggy, with more explanation to Dominic why he's proposing. More It is!! More Gonzo, Bunsen, Beauregard, Janice, Link and Christoph Waltz. I read that Beaker included in the interagation among everything on the sound track (like gonzo and Camilla) hopefully Constantine and miss Piggy's extra lines are in that song as well. The newsman gets hit by Gonzo's indoor running of bulls after announcing the kermit and piggy wedding (perfect!)

What's NOT included and very sad to say is scooters longer moves like Jagger song with the penguins. also the shots of jean returing and helping Sam join the muppet ladder is not there. Nore is the muppet show theme with the muppet monsters like Thog and Sweetums is not included. I don't know about any other cameos included. But there could and should be a few other things

What about Kermit climbing muppet ladder. Is anyone leaving that as a surprise?

SpookyMania

Reaction score
So I'm super excited for the release this Tuesday, to the point where work let me stay after to put this up:

DarthGonzo

Reaction score
I posted that review knowing full well that no one here would agree with it. I've come to expect that by now. Personally, I think this was a very fair review and I agree with a lot of what this reviewer says. The movie was good, but nothing fantastic, and I still prefer the 2011 film.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I liked the 2011 film as well just in different ways compared to MMW.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I posted that review knowing full well that no one here would agree with it. I've come to expect that by now. Personally, I think this was a very fair review and I agree with a lot of what this reviewer says. The movie was good, but nothing fantastic, and I still prefer the 2011 film.
And I say meh. :stick_out_tongue:

Kidding. Well, kinda. Honestly, everyone's entitled to their opinion, but still...who the heck is Luke Bonanno and what elevates his opinion over some random dude on the street? And maybe that's the point - that the public didn't take to Muppets Most Wanted like they did to Segel's The Muppets. I counter that with the fact that modern auds don't much favor classic films and, at one time, that caused studios to colorize them. They looked awful but fared better on television than if they'd remained in black and white. Just how far should films pander to a witless public?

Segel's film did just that. At its heart, it was a very good, yet thinly plotted, Muppet informercial starring him, Chris Cooper and the talented Amy Adams (who shoved way back into the background in favor of Jason Segel's mugging for the camera). I like him, don't get me wrong. It's just that his part of the story was pointless. But if it hadn't been for his role, the Muppets would never have won a Best Song Oscar for Man or Muppet.

Muppets Most Wanted hit the ground running without need for laborious introductions or montages. The Muppets are no longer a novelty. It is a bit heavy on plot and long on time and there's more tedious Kermit-Piggy wedding drama. The rest is pure magic. Lots of memorable songs, that actually feature the Muppets singing and dancing, and have to do with the story. Each human has a reason to be there too. Everything was Muppet centered this time.

There was no human couple drama. There was Muppet couple drama and human-Muppet flirting drama between Fey and Kermit (not unlike Piggy and Grodin). The bad guy in this, Constantine, was a Muppet character paired with Gervais. And Burrell was paired with Sam. That alone makes this the most Muppety Muppet movie in quite a while, at least since they took Manhattan, and I couldn't be happier about that.

I'm going out on a limb here and dating myself by saying the first movie I saw in the theaters was The Muppet Movie in 1979. I was very young, but remembered every frame of that. It was amazing. The Muppet Show had been my favorite program, I already had all the puppets and that film took things much further. The Great Muppet Caper did too. It was a little more sophisticated and I appreciated that. The Muppets Take Manhattan brought things back around to just being plain fun. In retrospect, I don't think any post-Jim movie can match the energy in these films.

Chistmas Carol and Treasure Island were noble attempts to do something different, yet both of them stuck the Muppets into supporting roles. Muppets From Space drained all the spark and music and joy from the gang. They left behind some tender and funny moments, but they were few and far between. It wasn't until Segel's The Muppets that they started to bring the magic back to the big screen. However, once again the main cast were largely supporting characters until halfway through the film, and kind of reductive avatars of their zany selves at that.

I see something special in Muppets Most Wanted that falls in line with Jim Henson's classic formula. Apparently his son does too. It's not perfect, but it's finally on the right track. I wish audiences would have responded better to it. The box office is such a grand challenge these days. Audiences favor crappy film versions of Transformers, Ninja Turtles over more artful films like Paranorman. It's a shame.

One of the determining factors is brand recognition. The Muppets have that, but unfortunately they're branded as the abbreviated versions in Segel's film. I believe one of the primary reasons that Muppets Most Wanted underperformed is that it departed too much from the last film and displeased the people expecting a repeat. On the same token, many fans of the classic Muppets felt this outing would be like the last one and decided to skip it instead of being pleasantly surprised. I stick to that assessment.

But, to each their own. Peoples is peoples. :smile:

Last edited:

galagr

Reaction score
Dang, Amazon. You picked a heckova bad time to be difficult. :stick_out_tongue:

At least let the movie somewhat excel on home video, for crying out loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.