Abby's Flying Fairy School

Oscarfan

Reaction score
It wasn't mentioned in last season's press release either, but it was still on the show. Unless they explicitly say they're adding something new, I think it'll still be there. They've kinda dug themselves into an EW-type hole. Not because AFFS is popular, but those things must been expensive to make and they're certainly gettin' their monies worth on 'em.

I would say replace it with E&B Adventures, but that's also just 26 (widescreen) episodes and I doubt they would use a second E&B bit in the show. Whether you'd like to admit it or not, E&B aren't top tier characters on the show anymore, mainly because they're not on enough.

WemblinFool18

Reaction score
I've been watching Sesame Street a lot lately, and I don't like Abby's Flying Fairy School much at all. I know they're trying to help kids with critical thinking skills, and it's not as bad as some other children's programming, but I feel like it doesn't have any respect for kids at all. And that's why I liked Sesame Street to begin with; it respected kids and didn't talk down to them. Sadly, Abby's Flying Fairy School does.

Plus, Abby's voice is ANNOYING

Drtooth

Reaction score
It wasn't mentioned in last season's press release either, but it was still on the show. Unless they explicitly say they're adding something new, I think it'll still be there. They've kinda dug themselves into an EW-type hole. Not because AFFS is popular, but those things must been expensive to make and they're certainly gettin' their monies worth on 'em.
Considering they rerun reruns multiple times in new episode seasons that run together with reruns that used the reruns before, I'd say they're in danger of turning the audience off with 10 minutes of reused footage in the middle of the show. I know they say kids love repeats and repetition, but 9 minutes of the show devoted to a segment that ran certain episodes 3 times in the new episodes of a season seems to be pushing it.

While I hope the rumors of parents calling to get them to drop the segment about it being girly (that someone posted a while back) aren't true, I really hope them dropping it completely is. They do want to get their money's worth, I agree, but those things have paid for themselves a season ago at least. It should never have been a daily recurring segment.

DePingPong

Reaction score
I wish the formatting would go back to Sesame before EW, I don't mean classic stuff, but give us more segments, things that'll catch your attention. To be honest, I'm not even a fan of the Murray segment with his lamb, I don't think many people are, I don't even know if it's still on the show. I haven't watched modern Sesame in a long time. I'd like more E&B. AFFS and Murray/Lamb can go. To me, both of those feel like pacebreakers. Wasn't the goal to have commercials advertising letters and numbers? I'm sure they could go back to that and make it so it'd still catch the attention of todays kids. Cut down on the celebrities too. I may be dwelling in the past, but in my opinion I think it'd be better this way. I'm not saying we need classic skits, i'm saying the pre EW formula would be great, with the exception of Elmo the Musical, of course.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I wish the formatting would go back to Sesame before EW, I don't mean classic stuff, but give us more segments, things that'll catch your attention. To be honest, I'm not even a fan of the Murray segment with his lamb, I don't think many people are, I don't even know if it's still on the show. I haven't watched modern Sesame in a long time. I'd like more E&B. AFFS and Murray/Lamb can go. To me, both of those feel like pacebreakers. Wasn't the goal to have commercials advertising letters and numbers? I'm sure they could go back to that and make it so it'd still catch the attention of todays kids. Cut down on the celebrities too. I may be dwelling in the past, but in my opinion I think it'd be better this way. I'm not saying we need classic skits, i'm saying the pre EW formula would be great, with the exception of Elmo the Musical, of course.
Times have changed. Back then, there wasn't much for kids and commercials were apparently big with them. That's probably not the case these days.

Murray and his lamb are still on the show, and those bits are very good in terms of puppetry. Not only do they have the Muppets out in the real world, but they have Murray doing things like digging dirt, washing his hands, running bases, etc. Things they couldn't ordinarily do.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Times have changed. Back then, there wasn't much for kids and commercials were apparently big with them. That's probably not the case these days.
Exactly. We're talking about an era where the only commercials most people see are before internet games and videos. And a good pop up blocker will clear that up. Sesame Street takes its cue from other pop cultural things (as it always has done), and somehow it took Nick Jr. and Playhouse Disney style "programming blocks" and made the show similar to that. Even though those have been around for quite some time before, and I take it as an excuse to turn the American show into essentially what the international broadcasts are like.

Not that they wouldn't love to make the show similar to the original format, the producers feel the show wouldn't attract a child audience they're going for. They tried it, and it didn't appeal to them. I don't even see why they were let past the testing stage if they didn't do well, but I'm grateful they tried anyway.