How to start making puppets?

llamallover

Reaction score
For anyone that would like help, I have found that "The Foam Book" really helps. I am new to making puppets as well, and would like to point this out.

Jungle Joe

Reaction score
Hi Charly, welcome to the forum.

I've written two articles that may be helpful as a starting point, a guide to puppet building resources that includes lots of information on puppet building books, kits, videos and links to web sites with lots of information.

I've also written a tutorial on foam puppet construction (the way I do it anyway) called The Tumbles P. Bear Project.

I hope that is helpful.
Hi,
Great post, I would like to ask for permission to share this post on my blog along with your name. Please post any other details in your reply that you want included in the blog post. I can also post links to your websites if you have any.
Waiting for your response.
Thank you.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Sorry for not replying sooner Joe! I don't log in to the forum as often as I used to.

The web site that had those articles is offline and quite old (it was for a Project I did back in 2003). They were licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial licenses, so you're more than welcome to repost them. Please just credit them to "Andrew" and provide a link to my blog at www.PuppetVision.info since the original site is no longer online.

CBPuppets

Reaction score
I finally nailed the Henson stitch! but now the only thing I'm trying to do now is to figure out how to attach the mouth plate to the puppet's head!

koala3

Reaction score
Hello! Been reading bit and pieces of this forum and decided to finally invest in making a puppet. I want to start by making a Grover replica. Mostly because I wanted one since I was three. So I found the fur, read how to put in the arm rods, and Adams video tutorial is perfect for the head. Big fan of his stuff too btw! But the body is what is kind of confusing me. He has a belly, his arms look super long, and his hands look over sized. I wanted to invest in a Project Puppet pattern but don't know which one to get. So far im thinking his body is like a sphere with a cone shape on top. Any advice is greatly appreciated. You all do amazing work!

CBPuppets

Reaction score
seeing all this is making me eager to build Muppet Replicas too!

jeremy ridings

Reaction score
What kind of different material can u use for the mouth. I want to make it safe for my kids just in case they rough house with it

DMort

Reaction score
Hey jeremy, no one has answered so I will through my two cents in. It depends a lot on what sort of puppet you are building. If you are using Grey Seal Puppet's 3 piece head method I would suggest foam core, if you are doing something from Project Puppet simple series I would go with gasket rubber. I like gasket rubber because it's flexable and you can contort it to make the face more expressive. You can get foam core from any craft store and sheets of gasket rubber from most hardware stores in the plumbing isle.

FraggleLover130

Reaction score
Heheh.... I just use, ya know, cotton balls and yarn.... :smile: good for you for going all the way! :smile:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I've written two articles that may be helpful as a starting point, a guide to puppet building resources that includes lots of information on puppet building books, kits, videos and links to web sites with lots of information.

I've also written a tutorial on foam puppet construction (the way I do it anyway) called The Tumbles P. Bear Project.
A couple of people have messaged me recently about these links, which were shared here on the forum almost a decade ago. I know longer have the Bear-Town.com domain, but I have a similar section of resources on my PuppetVision web site (go to that link and look under "Resources" in the menu).

The Tumbles P. Bear Project tutorial isn't online any more, but you can find most of it is on the Internet Archive if you'd really like to see it (images may be missing and some links may not work).