What is your least favorite Muppet Movie?

fozzieisfunny

Reaction score
So, is your friend really a muppet fan, or does your friend just watch them, because you asked your friend to watch the films?
Before I even talked with them about The Muppets, he had seen a little bit of season 1 TMS ( at its worst.. Man, he watches the worst Muppet stuff), TMM ( finally, a good one!!) and then MMW and I think TM... And, then, MWoO. Although I recently encouraged him to watch frogfan76, and, now, he's a huge fan.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
You do not get my point, I love GMC more than TMM myself, but my point was that MWoO was a remake of a classic, while GMC was an indirect sequel, you are not making a fair comparision.
I agree, but the Muppets have always been irreverent, particularly when remaking classics. The reason Oz fell flat is due to the meandering story, dud of a lead actress (who reportedly didn't like the Muppets) and unfinished-looking special effects. It was also made in the time when they were adverse to doing a full-fledged musical. That was the final nail in the coffin for me. Muppets sing and dance and don't just go from plot-point to plot-point. I still enjoyed the film more than most fans did, but there was certainly room for improvement.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Before I even talked with them about The Muppets, he had seen a little bit of season 1 TMS ( at its worst.. Man, he watches the worst Muppet stuff), TMM ( finally, a good one!!) and then MMW and I think TM... And, then, MWoO. Although I recently encouraged him to watch frogfan76, and, now, he's a huge fan.
You should never show a new muppet fan season 1 of TMS, only season 2-5, it will ruin their image of the muppets. They will probably only appreciate it after they have became a legitimate muppet fan.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
You should never show a new muppet fan season 1 of TMS, only season 2-5, it will ruin their image of the muppets. They will probably only appreciate it after they have became a legitimate muppet fan.
The first season of most every show is kind of experimental. The Muppet Show is no exception. While I like it, the dynamics of the characters aren't fully formed yet. But every season is the best of the best of television IMHO.

One of the many things that I really appreciate about the Muppet Show is the growth and development of Gonzo. He starts off as a quirky kid and gains confidence and self-acceptance along the way. He's almost one of the wise Muppet elders these days, but with a wild streak that prevents that from really being so. He's really the most remarkable Muppet of the bunch. I'm glad to have had him as a role model growing up. Hehe. :concern:

Muppet Master

Reaction score
The first season of most every show is kind of experimental. The Muppet Show is no exception. While I like it, the dynamics of the characters aren't fully formed yet. But every season is the best of the best of television IMHO.

One of the many things that I really appreciate about the Muppet Show is the growth and development of Gonzo. He starts off as a quirky kid and gains confidence and self-acceptance along the way. He's almost one of the wise Muppet elders these days, but with a wild streak that prevents that from really being so. He's really the most remarkable Muppet of the bunch. I'm glad to have had him as a role model growing up. Hehe. :concern:
Well not all shows, there are shows that stay the same for basically their entire run. TMS was a different story, it was eons different from the rest of the series. Especially Gonzo who was a child basically, and I cringe at how he looked, talked, and acted in season 1, and am really happy he went on to be the Gonzo we all know. The plots were not really plots in season 1, more like running gags, take this season 1 episode Candice Bergen against a season 2 episode, Judy Collins. The season 2 episode has a plot crucial to the episode, J.P. Grosse is going to tear down the studio. The season 1 plot is Fozzie randomly throwing or pouring stuff or making random jokes just to mess with Kermit, it could have easily been replaced with another season 1 plot, and there would be next to no difference. Now, in season one's defense, from the Avery Schreiber episode on it did have real plots though it was still deformed. Even though, season 1 is still good, but I would greatly prefer the rest of the series over the first season.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Well not all shows, there are shows that stay the same for basically their entire run. TMS was a different story, it was eons different from the rest of the series. Especially Gonzo who was a child basically, and I cringe at how he looked, talked, and acted in season 1, and am really happy he went on to be the Gonzo we all know. The plots were not really plots in season 1, more like running gags, take this season 1 episode Candice Bergen against a season 2 episode, Judy Collins. The season 2 episode has a plot crucial to the episode, J.P. Grosse is going to tear down the studio. The season 1 plot is Fozzie randomly throwing or pouring stuff or making random jokes just to mess with Kermit, it could have easily been replaced with another season 1 plot, and there would be next to no difference. Now, in season one's defense, from the Avery Schreiber episode on it did have real plots though it was still deformed. Even though, season 1 is still good, but I would greatly prefer the rest of the series over the first season.
Eugh. I think Gonzo and the show did just fine in every season. If it hadn't there wouldn't have been a season two. Personally, I enjoy seeing the evolution of things. Nothing's perfect from the beginning and that's what makes programs (and life) so great. The outlook you've outlined sounds completely boring to me. Dynamics need to grow and change in order to remain fresh. And yes most EVERY show goes through its beginning awkward period. That's just how things work.

I don't think the first season is "eons" different from anything. It just didn't hit its stride until later on. This is where fandom comes in contact with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and I clear out. But whatever.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Eugh. I think Gonzo and the show did just fine in every season. If it hadn't there wouldn't have been a season two. Personally, I enjoy seeing the evolution of things. Nothing's perfect from the beginning and that's what makes programs (and life) so great. The outlook you've outlined sounds completely boring to me. Dynamics need to grow and change in order to remain fresh. And yes most EVERY show goes through it's beginning awkward period. That's just how things work.

I don't think the first season is "eons" different from anything. It just didn't hit its stride until alter on. This is where fandom comes in contact with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and I clear out. But whatever.
I guess you are right, it is more fun to go from the first to the other seasons, and see how much better the show ends up being.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I guess you are right, it is more fun to go from the first to the other seasons, and see how much better the show ends up being.
Gonzo's Wishing Song with Madeline Kahn in Season Two is one of my favorite Muppet moments of all time. I enjoy seeing this developmentally younger moment from him even though I enjoy the confident weirdo he later became.

It's interesting. Those sorts of moments can't really be easily slid around among the first three seasons (and not just because the puppets look different). The characters really developed in those first three years.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I agree, but the Muppets have always been irreverent, particularly when remaking classics. The reason Oz fell flat is due to the meandering story, dud of a lead actress (who reportedly didn't like the Muppets) and unfinished-looking special effects. It was also made in the time when they were adverse to doing a full-fledged musical. That was the final nail in the coffin for me. Muppets sing and dance and don't just go from plot-point to plot-point. I still enjoyed the film more than most fans did, but there was certainly room for improvement.
I give them credit for trying to get the musical element back into the Muppets after the Funk soundtrack of MFS, and the one song each of KSY and VMX (unless you count the parody Moulin Rouge segment). As much as the songs were...eh...uneven and a couple of them given specifically to Ashanti, at least someone remembered that Muppet films have them in it. That's the nicest thing I can say about that movie. THAT was a step in the right direction at least.

MwOO is essentially a what if. Something that seems to be the direction Henson would have been goaded to take. Something tells me the "edginess" was a mandated from Fox, or at least they had a major hand in it. VMX was edgy, but peel away the dated references and there's a little substance there. There's plenty of reasons that I've bludgeoned everyone with that I hated the movie, but the unmistakable American Idol tie-in (no doubt at Fox's behest) was the worst thing about the film. Even more forced and vertical intergration-y than the relentless NBC promos shoved in VMX.

fozzieisfunny

Reaction score
He still loves The Muppets. And, I didn't show him this stuff. He found it on his own.