Thoughts on sponsors

Drtooth

Reaction score
I haven't had that stuff in ages, and at best, I'd rather just have Frosted Cheerios. They're roughly the same thing, just in different shapes. All O's. (insert old Family Guy episode dialogue here)

Anyway, I'd buy the stuff if those *&^% Bug Eyed brats weren't on the package. Martha Speaks or WordGirl? I'd be all over it then.

Actually, is Alpha Bits even a sponsor of Super Why? I never paid attention to that. On that subject, I'm glad the Chuck E. Cheese sponsorship isn't intrusive at all. Because when they sponsor a movie, they become a major plot point to the point where it's illogical. (cough cough Free Birds cough) :stick_out_tongue: nah, nah... What I'm really glad is that with the new Chuck E. redesign, I don't have to see that 1990's cartoon version of him acting painfully uncool. Seriously... people actually got upset losing that?!

Luke kun

Reaction score
What I'm really glad is that with the new Chuck E. redesign, I don't have to see that 1990's cartoon version of him acting painfully uncool. Seriously... people actually got upset losing that?!
Guess what? I actually liked that 1990's cartoon version of him. (inb4 getting beat up by Drtooth)

My ideal Sesame funding would be:
  • Earth's Best organic
  • McDonald's
  • American Egg Board
  • Beaches
  • Discovery Zone (even though it went out of business)
  • IBM
  • GCC
  • America Online
  • Chuck E. Cheese
  • Chick-Fil-A
  • Spaghettios Pasta
  • Polaroid
  • Baby Gap
  • PNC Grow Up Great
  • Party City
  • Stride Rite
  • Ford Foundation
  • Carnegie Corporation of New York
  • Sears Roebuck and Co.

Drtooth

Reaction score
They kept the 1990's version of him well into the 00's. Which was... kinda painfully out of touch. As far as I go? While I never had the CEC franchise near me until the 90's, I absolutely love the sleazy side show version of the character from the 80's. Something that was never meant to be hip or current.

As for my ideal sponsors? I'd say whoever's generous enough to just take the tax write off and not advertise their product other than stating their name in a list. Kinda like the old days. It's a good minute or so between when Sesame Street starts it's broadcast and when it actually starts the show.

That said, I'm also not wild about other PBS show promos before the credits of any of the shows.

Luke kun

Reaction score
They kept the 1990's version of him well into the 00's. Which was... kinda painfully out of touch. As far as I go? While I never had the CEC franchise near me until the 90's, I absolutely love the sleazy side show version of the character from the 80's. Something that was never meant to be hip or current.

As for my ideal sponsors? I'd say whoever's generous enough to just take the tax write off and not advertise their product other than stating their name in a list. Kinda like the old days. It's a good minute or so between when Sesame Street starts it's broadcast and when it actually starts the show.

That said, I'm also not wild about other PBS show promos before the credits of any of the shows.
Chuck E. Cheese started in 1977, Drtooth. (Woo! Disco fever!) And the mascot was a rat back then, not a mouse. "Smile America!" (That slogan was used until 1984. I would want to bring it back.)

I'm okay with CEC sponsoring everything on PBS Kids now. And it all started with Barney.

Luke kun

Reaction score
On that subject, I'm glad the Chuck E. Cheese sponsorship isn't intrusive at all. Because when they sponsor a movie, they become a major plot point to the point where it's illogical. (cough cough Free Birds cough)
Wait... CEC sponsors movies?!

Drtooth

Reaction score
You...eh...know I mean by product placement. Often times this brings in extra money for the movie production the studios just won't give them. Product Placement, if done low key enough ads a level of realism to a movie. But more often than not, it's dealt with a heavy hand. Which brings me to the Chuck E. Cheese/ Free Birds example... you see, the movie is resolved by delivering Chuck E.'s Pizza. It's double obnoxious because the film's plot hinges on the big heroic product coming to the rescue (same thing happened with Little Nicky, which otherwise isn't too bad if you like that sort of thing), but also because, for having a deal with the movie to be mentioned in the movie and to have a nonsensical tie in (cheap rubber bracelets with the turkey characters on them) the most basic thing about the company was somehow overlooked. Chuck E never delivers, and frankly with at least 3 pizza places on every block in every town, why theirs? It's not even that good unless you're under the age of 8.

And that is why Free Birds is a terrible movie.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Which brings me to the Chuck E. Cheese/ Free Birds example... you see, the movie is resolved by delivering Chuck E.'s Pizza. It's double obnoxious because the film's plot hinges on the big heroic product coming to the rescue (same thing happened with Little Nicky, which otherwise isn't too bad if you like that sort of thing)
Little Nicky was at least kinda tongue-in-cheek with its Popeye's plug.

Luke kun

Reaction score
You...eh...know I mean by product placement. Often times this brings in extra money for the movie production the studios just won't give them. Product Placement, if done low key enough ads a level of realism to a movie. But more often than not, it's dealt with a heavy hand. Which brings me to the Chuck E. Cheese/ Free Birds example... you see, the movie is resolved by delivering Chuck E.'s Pizza. It's double obnoxious because the film's plot hinges on the big heroic product coming to the rescue (same thing happened with Little Nicky, which otherwise isn't too bad if you like that sort of thing), but also because, for having a deal with the movie to be mentioned in the movie and to have a nonsensical tie in (cheap rubber bracelets with the turkey characters on them) the most basic thing about the company was somehow overlooked. Chuck E never delivers, and frankly with at least 3 pizza places on every block in every town, why theirs? It's not even that good unless you're under the age of 8.

And that is why Free Birds is a terrible movie.
Oh...like Happy Meals will give out prizes that are themed to movies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Little Nicky was at least kinda tongue-in-cheek with its Popeye's plug.
Oh yeah it was. Certainly in the style of his movies. But Free Birds used theirs unironically as a plot point and solution. And yes, I only read that via TV Tropes. I was willing to give the movie a shot until I heard that. It was a borderline FoodFight celebration of a brand name. And for all the awfulness Food Fight has, the underlying concept is that store brands are evil because they're not the big, more costly national brands. And I'll say they have a point, since I've never not had a disgusting off brand Frosted Flakes. They all taste like they're frosted with Sweet N Low and Library paste.

While not nearly in the same ballpark, I rewatched Wreck-It Ralph, and saw the "No outside food" sign on the door. I'm guessing it's not strictly enforced, since someone smuggled in a Subway cup.

Luke kun

Reaction score
Spaghettios is okay, I've had them once. The Lipton instant noodle soups aren't that bad, I had them once and thought it was yummy! But I still haven't seen that "use your noodle" tag that was played before Clifford, can someone show it to me? (PS: Chuck E.'s pizza is okay! The Skytubes are okay, the kiddie rides are okay, and the games are great.)