Thoughts on sponsors

mr3urious

Reaction score
Oh yeah it was. Certainly in the style of his movies. But Free Birds used theirs unironically as a plot point and solution. And yes, I only read that via TV Tropes. I was willing to give the movie a shot until I heard that. It was a borderline FoodFight celebration of a brand name.
And Hero of Color City looks to be extremely unironic with its Bumble Bee Tuna plugging. They're not even trying to hide it there.

And for all the awfulness Food Fight has, the underlying concept is that store brands are evil because they're not the big, more costly national brands. And I'll say they have a point, since I've never not had a disgusting off brand Frosted Flakes. They all taste like they're frosted with Sweet N Low and Library paste.
Store brand stuff isn't always low quality. It's the really cheap dollar store brands you've gotta look out for.

Luke kun

Reaction score
Woo-hoo! We've got 4 pages of sponsor debate! :smile::laugh:
Anyway, let's go back to what we were originally talking about: sponsor plugs (aka sponsor tags). Yeah...what was your favorite and which ones were creepy?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Store brand stuff isn't always low quality. It's the really cheap dollar store brands you've gotta look out for.
I've had things that were at least brand quality. Sometimes slightly better. But Frosted Flakes is something no one but Kelloggs does right. And believe me, I've tried several store brands of that and they all taste awful. That seems to be the one specific thing that they can't get right. it's strange.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Woo-hoo! We've got 4 pages of sponsor debate! :smile::laugh:
Anyway, let's go back to what we were originally talking about: sponsor plugs (aka sponsor tags). Yeah...what was your favorite and which ones were creepy?
Well, when it comes to sponsors I like, it's anything that doesn't pass its sponsorship tag off as a blatant commercial. As in, not Pfizer or Spaghetti-Os.

Drtooth said:
I've had things that were at least brand quality. Sometimes slightly better. But Frosted Flakes is something no one but Kelloggs does right. And believe me, I've tried several store brands of that and they all taste awful. That seems to be the one specific thing that they can't get right. it's strange.
I once tried some store-brand Wheat Thins, and they were just all right. They weren't as sweet and crispy as the real thing.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, when it comes to sponsors I like, it's anything that doesn't pass its sponsorship tag off as a blatant commercial. As in, not Pfizer or Spaghetti-Os.
Most of them are a little less hard sell. They still have commercially ones, but nothing that actually tells you to buy a product. I still think shorter sponsor announcements should be required. They take a good minute off the beginning and ending of the show. I do like how the new Chuck E Cheese ads don't feature adults and kids dancing poorly around a flat backdrop like they used to. They actually look like families doing stuff. And no 4 fps framerate Chuckie bouncing around either.

Did I mention that I don't get why everyone's upset with the new Chuck yet?

Luke kun

Reaction score
Most of them are a little less hard sell. They still have commercially ones, but nothing that actually tells you to buy a product. I still think shorter sponsor announcements should be required. They take a good minute off the beginning and ending of the show. I do like how the new Chuck E Cheese ads don't feature adults and kids dancing poorly around a flat backdrop like they used to. They actually look like families doing stuff. And no 4 fps framerate Chuckie bouncing around either.

Did I mention that I don't get why everyone's upset with the new Chuck yet?
I liked those.

Luke kun

Reaction score
Bump...I made a mock-up sponsor plug yesterday.

"Sesame Street is brought to you by..." *clip from the Mega Man episode Bro Bots* Mega Man: Woah! What gives? *his vision goes blurry as a ding sound plays and text shows up on the screen reading "Now, that is a sponsor!"*

And the announcer is Mewtwo, played by Phillip Barlett!

Luke kun

Reaction score
Bump. Once, I went to Shop-Rite and saw BumbleBee Tuna, and guess what movie was shown on the package?

And BTW, haven't seen any bad sponsors recently. Also going to Chuck E. Cheese next week.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
I like the Looksmart, America Online, and Pfizer sponsors.

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I love how, no matter what the PBS show is, no matter how infrequently new episodes are aired, they always manage to change the sponsor tags at least 3 times a season for these shows.