The closing themes of Sesame Street

Luke kun

Reaction score
I remember something that scared the crap out of me once.

It was 1999 (perhaps 1997?), and I was watching SS. So the Calypso-era closing credits played (the Dancing City one) and the CTW notice played with Big Bird saying "toodle-oo". Then the funding credits played. Rather than what I was used to during that time, the voiceover was different. It was this deep voice that sounded like Mewtwo from Pokemon The First Movie. The voice said "Funding for Sesame Street is brought to you by..." and I ran away screaming. But I did come back to watch the Discovery Zone and Spaghettios credits. After that, the CPB logo and Viewers Like You appeared and 'Mewtwo' said "Sesame Street was also brought to you by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting and Viewers Like You." The PBS Kids P-Pals logo played after that (this was before Dash & Dot) and I ran away screaming again.

Did anyone else expect the 1997/1999-era funding voiceover but wind up with a voice that sounded like Mewtwo from Pokemon The First Movie?

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
I remember something that scared the crap out of me once.

It was 1999 (perhaps 1997?), and I was watching SS. So the Calypso-era closing credits played (the Dancing City one) and the CTW notice played with Big Bird saying "toodle-oo". Then the funding credits played. Rather than what I was used to during that time, the voiceover was different. It was this deep voice that sounded like Mewtwo from Pokemon The First Movie. The voice said "Funding for Sesame Street is brought to you by..." and I ran away screaming. But I did come back to watch the Discovery Zone and Spaghettios credits. After that, the CPB logo and Viewers Like You appeared and 'Mewtwo' said "Sesame Street was also brought to you by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting and Viewers Like You." The PBS Kids P-Pals logo played after that (this was before Dash & Dot) and I ran away screaming again.

Did anyone else expect the 1997/1999-era funding voiceover but wind up with a voice that sounded like Mewtwo from Pokemon The First Movie?
What season of Sesame Street was this?