On Writing Fan Fiction (Rules & Advice)

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
my spelling is correct in my fan fics but i don't know where to place my punctuation and quotation marks could someone please help me ?
It depends on what puntuation you're using. If it's an question or exclaimation mark, just put it at the end of a sentence. For example;

The barn's on fire!
Why is it on fire?

For quotations, you just put them at the start and end of someone's spoken dalologe and/or quote. For example:

"Hey, look at that," Fozzie said.

Also, if someone isn't asking a question or shouting, put a comma at the end like I just did above. Hope this helps!

Harleena

Reaction score
does this fan fic charactor that i made sound like a mary sue to you ? she gets hired by kermit to do costumes after hilda retires piggy was the one who suggested that kermit hire her after meeting her during an apperance in the charactor 's that i made home town years be for the charactor joined the muppets this charactor dealed with a lot growing up and into adulthood like growing up with a strict mother, dealing with her parents break up and men who treated her bad but my fan fics are not focused on her they are mainly foucus on scooter and his relationship with her in one my fan fics scooter taught my charactor that i made how to dance and how to love again in the second one which is the sequel it tells more about my charactors background but it doesn't focus on her okay moving on to scooter he is recovering from the loss of his uncle jp grosse in my fan fics and he has had his share of bad realationships with past lovers too and my fan fics are pg 13
Okay, you made quite a few errors there. Here: "Does this fan fic character that i made sound like a Mary Sue to you? She gets hired by Kermit to do costumes after Hilda retires. Piggy was the one who suggested that Kermit hire her after meeting her during an apperance in my character's home town years before the character joined the Muppets. This character dealt with a lot growing up, like a strict mother, her parents breaking up, and men who treated her bad, but my fan fics are not focused on her. They are mainly focused on Scooter and his relationship with her. In one my fan fics, Scooter taught my character how to dance and how to love again. In the second one, which is the sequel, it tells more about my character's background, but it doesn't focus on her. Okay, moving on to Scooter…he is recovering from the loss of his uncle, J.P. Grosse, and has had his share of bad realationships with past lovers too. My fan fics are PG-13." She doesn't sound like too much of a Mary Sue. Just a few things:
  • What do you mean by men treating her bad? Do you mean that they take advantage of her or something? Or is it that they abuse her (I'd stay as far away from that as possible, as it's overdone, and not something that should be used in fanfiction unless you can pull it off. You can't pull it off, and neither can I…heck, Suzanne Collins* probably couldn't pull it off.)
  • Her relationship with Scooter sounds really cute. Just try to make it somewhat realistic, and don't have Scooter immediately fall in love with her.
  • What's this OC's name? The name is extremely important in deciding if she is a Mary Sue or not. You can even use your own name if you want. Lots of OCs in the Muppet fandom are named after their creators. If you don't want to use your name, you can always use a name that you really like (for example, I named one of my OCs Molly, because that's a cute name) or a name that has special meaning (like if she were a musician, you might name her Melody). After all, lots of Muppets have meaningful names. Here's a list of names to avoid:
    • Shadow
    • Raven
    • Sapphire (or any other gemstones)
    • The name of a popular anime character (Miku, Serena, etc.)
    • Rainbow
    • Serenity
    • Moonflower
    • Starsong
    • Melantha
    • Nightstar
    • The name of any Disney Princess (ESPECIALLY ELSA, BECAUSE SHE'S SO POPULAR NOW. Anna, Tiana, Alice, Wendy, Meg** and other common names are usually fine, but avoid names like Jasmine or Aurora)
  • Okay, so a lot of those were unrealistic. But as long as you don't make her too perfect (angsty backstory and slight clumsiness don't count as flaws) and let the other characters share the spotlight (you already said the fic doesn't focus on her, which is good), she should be fine!
  • Also, don't devote more than a paragraph to her appearance. If you just go on and on about the way she looks, the readers will get bored.
  • That's all! She sounds good to go! Just be sure to proofread for spelling errors. :flirt:
If you ever need any help with your character or your fic, just start a convo with me and I'll be happy to help you out.

Last edited:

scooterfan360

Reaction score
Okay, you made quite a few errors there. Here: "Does this fan fic character that i made sound like a Mary Sue to you? She gets hired by Kermit to do costumes after Hilda retires. Piggy was the one who suggested that Kermit hire her after meeting her during an apperance in my character's home town years before the character joined the Muppets. This character dealt with a lot growing up, like a strict mother, her parents breaking up, and men who treated her bad, but my fan fics are not focused on her. They are mainly focused on Scooter and his relationship with her. In one my fan fics, Scooter taught my character how to dance and how to love again. In the second one, which is the sequel, it tells more about my character's background, but it doesn't focus on her. Okay, moving on to Scooter…he is recovering from the loss of his uncle, J.P. Grosse, and has had his share of bad realationships with past lovers too. My fan fics are PG-13." She doesn't sound like too much of a Mary Sue. Just a few things:
  • What do you mean by men treating her bad? Do you mean that they take advantage of her or something? Or is it that they abuse her (I'd stay as far away from that as possible, as it's overdone, and not something that should be used in fanfiction unless you can pull it off. You can't pull it off, and neither can I…heck, Suzanne Collins* probably couldn't pull it off.)
  • Her relationship with Scooter sounds really cute. Just try to make it somewhat realistic, and don't have Scooter immediately fall in love with her.
  • What's this OC's name? The name is extremely important in deciding if she is a Mary Sue or not. You can even use your own name if you want. Lots of OCs in the Muppet fandom are named after their creators. If you don't want to use your name, you can always use a name that you really like (for example, I named one of my OCs Molly, because that's a cute name) or a name that has special meaning (like if she were a musician, you might name her Melody). After all, lots of Muppets have meaningful names. Here's a list of names to avoid:
    • Shadow
    • Raven
    • Rainbow
    • Serenity
    • Moonflower
    • Starsong
    • Melantha
    • Nightstar
    • The name of any Disney Princess (ESPECIALLY ELSA, BECAUSE SHE'S SO POPULAR NOW. Anna, Tiana, Alice, Wendy, Meg** and other common names are usually fine, but avoid names like Jasmine or Aurora)
  • Okay, so a lot of those were unrealistic. But as long as you don't make her too perfect (angsty backstory and slight clumsiness don't count as flaws) and let the other characters share the spotlight (you already said the fic doesn't focus on her, which is good), she should be fine!
  • Also, don't devote more than a paragraph to her appearance. If you just go on and on about the way she looks, the readers will get bored.
  • That's all! She sounds good to go! Just be sure to proofread for spelling errors. :flirt:
If you ever need any help with your character or your fic, just start a convo with me and I'll be happy to help you out.
okay first of all her name is stephanie full name stephaine lorraine briar second of all when i mean men treated her bad they cheated on her okay third she is not perfect in anyway because her mother was so strict she had to sneak out just to get out of the house and she can't sing and she can't dance okay moving on scooter doesn't atuomatically fall in love with her but he does blush and get nervously when he sees her and he does look at her too along with pepe and he does try to ask stephanie out but he chickens out like a few times but one day he finally does ask her out and the part where he kisses stephaine good night he apologizes to her and does it again but stephaine understands and kisses him back
    • Shadow
    • Raven
    • Rainbow
    • Serenity
    • Moonflower
    • Starsong
    • Melantha
    • Nightstar
first off my fan fic character's name is stephanie briar full name stephanie lorraine briar second when i mean men treated her bad i mean that they cheated on her third she is not perfect in anyway she can't dance and she can't sing fourth scooter doesn't automatically fall in love with her but he blushes and gets nervous when he sees her and he also looks at her too along with pepe and he also chickens out a few times before he finally asks her out and the part where he kisses her good night he gives her a long good night kiss when he meant to give her a short one but he apologizes for it and does it again stephanie understands and kisses him back okay moving on although stephanie is pretty i don't talk about her appearance much but i do mention what she is wearing a few times and finally i also included some ov's aka original villans like tex richman , mickey holiday ,and the moopets plus other muppets have the spotlight in my fan fics also like gonzo , pepe, rizzo, clifford , anne sue, and animal . ect... and one more thing stephanie is human i wanted to play with the concept of a human being in a relationship with a muppet you know break that barrier my fan fics take place in a world where muppets and humans mix .

Harleena

Reaction score
first off my fan fic character's name is stephanie briar full name stephanie lorraine briar second when i mean men treated her bad i mean that they cheated on her third she is not perfect in anyway she can't dance and she can't sing fourth scooter doesn't automatically fall in love with her but he blushes and gets nervous when he sees her and he also looks at her too along with pepe and he also chickens out a few times before he finally asks her out and the part where he kisses her good night he gives her a long good night kiss when he meant to give her a short one but he apologizes for it and does it again stephanie understands and kisses him back okay moving on although stephanie is pretty i don't talk about her appearance much but i do mention what she is wearing a few times and finally i also included some ov's aka original villans like tex richman , mickey holiday ,and the moopets plus other muppets have the spotlight in my fan fics also like gonzo , pepe, rizzo, clifford , anne sue, and animal . ect... and one more thing stephanie is human i wanted to play with the concept of a human being in a relationship with a muppet you know break that barrier my fan fics take place in a world where muppets and humans mix .
Okay, Stephanie Briar is a perfect name. It's really cute. The cheating on her thing is good. I like how you gave her flaws, like not being a talented singer or dancer. It helps make her more believable. The humanxMuppet thing is a cool idea, and I'd like to see how that turns out. Her relationship with Scooter seems believable, and I've learned something in fanfiction: if the "ladies man" is hitting on your character, it's fine. I abused that privilege very quickly. Overall, Stephanie seems like a really cool and believable character. Awesome job!

scooterfan360

Reaction score
Okay, Stephanie Briar is a perfect name. It's really cute. The cheating on her thing is good. I like how you gave her flaws, like not being a talented singer or dancer. It helps make her more believable. The humanxMuppet thing is a cool idea, and I'd like to see how that turns out. Her relationship with Scooter seems believable, and I've learned something in fanfiction: if the "ladies man" is hitting on your character, it's fine. I abused that privilege very quickly. Overall, Stephanie seems like a really cool and believable character. Awesome job!
thank you it's going to be an exciting fan fic the second one is too .

scooterfan360

Reaction score
okay first of all her name is stephanie full name stephaine lorraine briar second of all when i mean men treated her bad they cheated on her okay third she is not perfect in anyway because her mother was so strict she had to sneak out just to get out of the house and she can't sing and she can't dance okay moving on scooter doesn't atuomatically fall in love with her but he does blush and get nervously when he sees her and he does look at her too along with pepe and he does try to ask stephanie out but he chickens out like a few times but one day he finally does ask her out and the part where he kisses stephaine good night he apologizes to her and does it again but stephaine understands and kisses him back

Cool! If you ever need any help with it, just let me know!
i made a little boo boo i mean that scooter kisses her goodnight but didn't meant to do it on their first date because he figured that stephanie doesn't kiss on the first date he apologizes for it and does it again stephanie understands and kisses him back

Harleena

Reaction score
i made a little boo boo i mean that scooter kisses her goodnight but didn't meant to do it on their first date because he figured that stephanie doesn't kiss on the first date he apologizes for it and does it again stephanie understands and kisses him back
I think that that should be fine…

scooterfan360

Reaction score
i think that this should be a rule in writting fan fiction , never include a character that somebody else created in your fan fiction .except for the original muppets, i think that fan fic writers should only include the original muppets and just the character that they made up . now im' not naming any names but , i read one person's fan fics , and they used somebody else's character in them