Indiewire: Does Muppets Most Wanted Have Oscar "Best Song" Potential?

WalterLinz

Reaction score
Does anybody else agree that a high school student could have easily come up with the lyrics for the song? (That's not to say that I think so.)
To me, when I first heard it, I thought the song had a pretty powerful message to it. The lyrics may seem pretty cheesy to a few...but I thought that it was quite fitting for a movie that has a character like Constantine. So powerful, it just seemed that the song had that...you know...certain feel to it where you'll consider that it'll be an Oscar-nominated song.:stick_out_tongue:

I don't know if this may help as much, but that's all I could say and think about the song..:fanatic:

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Like everyone else, I hope Something So Right gets nominated. However, last month one of my younger sisters agreed to watch the film with me and my parents, and here's what happened: now, this particular sister of mine is the type who will take anything too seriously or make any comments of things that bother her in TV shows, movies, or popular culture in general. Muppets Most Wanted was no exception. There were a good number of scenes that she felt the need to comment on- Something So Right happened to be one of them. She was pretty well aware that we fanatics want this song to be a nominee if not the winner for the Best Original Song. After hearing the song, she proclaimed that "a high schooler could have come up with these lyrics!" (Oh, and as a side note: like a lot of other people, she found Kermit and Piggy's imaginary babies creepy.)

Does anybody else agree that a high school student could have easily come up with the lyrics for the song? (That's not to say that I think so.)
No offense, how do I put this in a kind way, to me that opinion is not just to the song and the writers, though I respect their opinion I am far from agreeing with it. Has she heard the garbage that people call songs these days, and that any song high schoolers make up will be about social media. Also, even if a high schooler made it, that does not mean it is a bad song in my opinion, high schoolers are close to adults. Still, I feel that is a rotten thing to say when a certain Disney princess movie had much less sophisticated songs.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Still, I feel that is a rotten thing to say when a certain Disney princess movie had much less sophisticated songs.
Are we talking about the overrated "Do You Wanna Build a Snowman?" and the equally overrated "Let it Go" from the super overrated Frozen?

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
My favorite song from the movie is I'll Get You What You Want, but I think Something So Right is the type of song to be nominated. Oscar loves emotional songs. Why else do you think Man or Muppet or Let it Go won Oscars?

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Are we talking about the overrated "Do You Wanna Build a Snowman?" and the equally overrated "Let it Go" from the super overrated Frozen?
The second one, but the other one is also annoying and seriously is not good enough to be praised as much as it is, any song in MMW is a billion times better than the snowman song in my opinion.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
The second one, but the other one is also annoying and seriously is not good enough to be praised as much as it is, any song in MMW is a billion times better than the snowman song in my opinion.
Still to this day, I fail to see what the obsession is with those 2 songs and the movie in general. It was a good film and everything, but not good enough to become that big of a hit. Tangled had nearly the same popularity that Frozen has, but I can't recall anyone randomly belting out any of the songs written for the film- any song from Tangled (and the movie in general) is a thousand times better than Frozen!

Regarding what you said about how any song in MMW is a billion times better than the snowman song...if a Frozen 2 eventually happens, I'd like to see them TRY to write a better opening song than "We're Doing a Sequel"!

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Still to this day, I fail to see what the obsession is with those 2 songs and the movie in general. It was a good film and everything, but not good enough to become that big of a hit. Tangled had nearly the same popularity that Frozen has, but I can't recall anyone randomly belting out any of the songs written for the film- any song from Tangled (and the movie in general) is a thousand times better than Frozen!

Regarding what you said about how any song in MMW is a billion times better than the snowman song...if a Frozen 2 eventually happens, I'd like to see them TRY to write a better opening song than "We're Doing a Sequel"!
Yes, that is exactly what I think. When that movie came out any weirdo would sing those annoying songs in your face and obnoxiously yell about how it was the best movie ever, that makes me think the only other movies they have seen are poorly made live action kid movies like Alexander or something. For once I would have liked people at my school to say hey MMW is coming out, I never heard anything about that, even on its premiere day I was disgusted when people at school were talking about that movie coming out on DVD, really? It makes me sad how nobody cared about MMW, overal I really hope one muppet song gets nominated or wins the oscar, most of the songs deserve an award.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
@Muppet Master "When that movie came out any weirdo would sing those annoying songs in your face and obnoxiously yell about how it was the best movie ever" For real though! When I kept hearing all these great about the film, I thought 'OK, I'll go see it for myself'. After the first viewing (this was on one of those movie pirating sites), I didn't understand how people could be so obsessed with it. Again, Tangled was pretty popular too, but I don't ever recall people constantly talking about the film, or singing the songs day in and day out.

"People at school were talking about that movie coming out on DVD" (*my eyes and mouth grow wide open*) WHAT??!! No way!! There's no excitement about the film coming to theaters, but there's excitement about the DVD release?? You've gotta be kidding me!! I'd be pretty disgusted as well...

Well, I too hope that any song from Muppets Most Wanted gets a nominee. Sure they got stuck in my head the same way "Do You Wanna Build a Snowman" and "Let it Go" did, but at least they were more worthy of that job- always and forever.

jvcarroll

Reaction score

Hmmm...that's not quite right. While I enjoyed things about both films, here are the facts:

Tangled (at a cost of $260 million) made only $200 million domestically and $591 million worldwide.

Frozen (at a cost of $150 million) made $400 million domestically and a total of $1,274 million worldwide.

Frozen is the 5th largest grossing film worldwide...ever, and by far the most popular animated film ever made. The only films above it are Avatar, Titanic, Marvel's Avengers and the last Harry Potter film. I am surprised that Tangled made the list at all, but it rates at 95. That's 90 slots down from Frozen.

Anyway, that's what gives Frozen its momentum. Audiences loved it.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I still think We're Doing a Sequel was the best of the bunch and I'd love to see it performed live at the Oscars. I'm not sure if they do that sort of thing anymore. Considering NPH is hosting, maybe so.

If not that song, then I'll Give You What You Want will do. That is, if they pick a Muppets song at all. The Adam Levine song is a strong contender. So are the ones from Dragons 2 and Rio 2. We'll just have to see what happens.