You're favorite/ least favorite character designs

gonzo77

Reaction score
oooooh! - thank you!! - been dying for someone else to notice this sort of stuff!!!
Firstly I totally agree about animal - one of my favourites but the bags under the eyes?? - why??? - He looks hideous now compared to how he used to be.
Like you said he looks like he really old and is on drugs.

Gonzo was horrible when he first came about but was perfect in the Great Muppet caper. Since the latest Disney film and especially in that queen parody video he is really ugly - colours wrong nose too big and his eyes look too dopey - with big eyelids - better being wide eyed like the one on my profile picture.

Fozzie looks ok but why do they hold him so low now - he is much taller than Kermit in everything the Muppets have done but in the two Disney films he seems really short - especially in the first scene of Muppets most wanted just before they sing "we're doing a sequel" - he is also a bit fluffy and his nose is not quite right.

For me Miss Piggy looked her best in the great Muppet caper and in the Muppet show Season 4 which we will probably never see on DVD.

I think Miss piggy looks great now but they must stop changing her hairstyle every ten minutes and for gods sake keep her trademark lavender gloves on. I think its her voice that really irritates me the most - I can do it closer to Frank Oz's voice than the new guy!

and one last thing - when Celine Dion was singing with her and was doing that warbling thing that Celine does at the end of the song I was dying for piggy to say something like "will you knock it off!" or "cool it!!" but she didn't. Piggy hates being upstaged - even if her singing is much better than it was in the 70s!!

She used to try and be sweet and then build up to getting annoyed when people mentioned pork or bacon or insulted her weight. Now she is a diva with a bad attitude from the offset which is not as much fun.

still rant over - just my opinion! - lol

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
and one last thing - when Celine Dion was singing with her and was doing that warbling thing that Celine does at the end of the song I was dying for piggy to say something like "will you knock it off!" or "cool it!!" but she didn't. Piggy hates being upstaged - even if her singing is much better than it was in the 70s!!

She used to try and be sweet and then build up to getting annoyed when people mentioned pork or bacon or insulted her weight. Now she is a diva with a bad attitude from the offset which is not as much fun.
You couldn't be more spot on! :smile:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I think Miss piggy looks great now but they must stop changing her hairstyle every ten minutes and for gods sake keep her trademark lavender gloves on. I think its her voice that really irritates me the most - I can do it closer to Frank Oz's voice than the new guy!
I always thought Eric was spot on with Piggy's voice, but I agree with you about her attitude especially on Good Luck Charlie. Hopefully, she'll be a bit more loosened up in future projects.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
For me Miss Piggy looked her best in the great Muppet caper and in the Muppet show Season 4 which we will probably never see on DVD.
Enough with the off-putting pessimism!

It would've ruined the mood if that happened.

This I do agree with, however. We need to find out who's writing for her improperly these days.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It wouldn't have ruined anything. That is normal Piggy behavior. :smile:

Muppet Master

Reaction score
For Gonzo, I like his post TMS to MCC era look best.

He just looks calm and collected, but at the same time you know he is a wild manic, which is why I like it best. For Fozzie, I like his season 2 and 3 look the best, he is not too light, but not like he was in season 1, it just seems like a perfect moderation.

For Floyd Pepper, I think his season 2 look suits him best with his well known jacket, which he sadly stops wearing in season 5.

For Sam the Eagle, I like his season 3 to MCC look, because his blue is much darker.

I will post more when I find more designs that I find are the best ones in my opinion.

jobi71

Reaction score
I think the characters who have suffered the most with redesigns are Miss Piggy and Gonzo and to a lesser extent Fozzie and Animal. It makes sense. These are lead characters. The puppets are used a lot and they deteriorate. So they are rebuilt and a few tweaks are made. One tweak too many and you are off model. Also, I know that when Dave Goelz rebuilt Gonzo for season 2 of The Muppet Show he added a mechanism so he could open his eyes wide, so I suppose there could be a practical reason - we the fans are unaware of - that necessitates a change. As for designs I like I love Bunsen Honeydew for his simplicity at the other end of the spectrum I think Uncle Deadly is a beautiful puppet. Also I think the design of the original Anything Muppets on Sesame Street and the original Whatnots on The Muppet Show (say seasons 1 and 2) are awesome. So simple and yet so versatile.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I think the characters who have suffered the most with redesigns are Miss Piggy and Gonzo and to a lesser extent Fozzie and Animal. It makes sense. These are lead characters. The puppets are used a lot and they deteriorate. So they are rebuilt and a few tweaks are made. One tweak too many and you are off model. Also, I know that when Dave Goelz rebuilt Gonzo for season 2 of The Muppet Show he added a mechanism so he could open his eyes wide, so I suppose there could be a practical reason - we the fans are unaware of - that necessitates a change. As for designs I like I love Bunsen Honeydew for his simplicity at the other end of the spectrum I think Uncle Deadly is a beautiful puppet. Also I think the design of the original Anything Muppets on Sesame Street and the original Whatnots on The Muppet Show (say seasons 1 and 2) are awesome. So simple and yet so versatile.
Most secondary characters are not really redesigned which is really cool in my opinion.