Star Butterfly Vs. The Forces of Evil Thread

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
So did anyone else watch the premiere today? if so, what did you guys think?
I thought it was really good, it reminds me of Steven Universe mixed in with Rainbow Brite and Sailor Moon.
here's a clip for anyone who didn't watch it.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I'm really enjoying the series so far. Star Butterfly is so adorable with her unbridled and potentially deadly optimism, yet I also love how she can still hold her own in a fight. How fitting that she's voiced by the girl who played Sue Heck in The Middle, too. :smile:

mr3urious

Reaction score
Also notable is that this is the first Disney animated series to be created by a woman since Pepper Ann.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really enjoyed this, and I really feel the character of Star was perfectly cast. She has a real voice for manic, hyper characters like that, and it's great to see the voice actress pool expand beyond Tara Strong and Grey Delisle. I mean, they're great, but they seem to be like 90% of female roles in animation. I really hope to see (forget her name) Sue Heck get other voice acting roles beyond this series.

As it stands, Brick Heck is the youngest son of the French Fry stand owner in Steven Universe, the Adam Goldberg is Jeff in Clarence, and that guy that played the Male Nanny in Modern Family is Pizza Steve! ABC's Wednesday Sitcom characters are all over CN shows. Granted, this one's on Disney XD, but it's great to see sitcom actors moonlighting as cartoon voice actors.

The show itself looks gorgeous with its animation. I'm glad that Flash animation technology has been used as a tool, and not a shortcut as it usually is. It's a shame this is on XD instead of Disney's girl focus main channel where it should be. I think I've found a new favorite Disney princess right here... cuz unlike Disney, I count the TV shows.

And it was Mira Nova from the Buzz Lightyear cartoon if you wanted to know it was previously.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I really enjoyed this, and I really feel the character of Star was perfectly cast. She has a real voice for manic, hyper characters like that, and it's great to see the voice actress pool expand beyond Tara Strong and Grey Delisle. I mean, they're great, but they seem to be like 90% of female roles in animation. I really hope to see (forget her name) Sue Heck get other voice acting roles beyond this series.
It's Disney's long-standing corporate synergy model being used to positive effect: using actors from their live-action shows to voice characters on their animated programming. Pretty much the only time they messed up on this was with the cast of Jessie hijacking Ultimate Spider-Man on a Halloween episode. Probably would have been a little less painful had the Jessie actors voiced original characters instead, or at the very least not shove Spidey aside.

And Sue Heck is played by Eden Sher, BTW.

The show itself looks gorgeous with its animation. I'm glad that Flash animation technology has been used as a tool, and not a shortcut as it usually is.
Probably Toon Boom again. Toon Boom is good at providing skeletal Flash-like movement as Flash is at traditional frame-by-frame stuff. It's getting harder for me to tell which show was made by which software.

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Pretty much the only time they messed up on this was with the cast of Jessie hijacking Ultimate Spider-Man on a Halloween episode. Probably would have been a little less painful had the Jessie actors voiced original characters instead, or at the very least not shove Spidey aside.
Ugh... yeah. I really do like USM, and it's become my third favorite after Spectacular and His Amazing Friends (which I like more than the predecessor). I consider it Marvel's answer to Batman: Brave and the Bold. The team ups with the Guardians and Deadpool were epic, the one with Jessie, much, much less so. It was awkward all the way around, but probably better written than the average Jessie episode. But it felt like a backdoor pilot to a show that already exists, considering how little time the wall crawler had in his own show. I don't even see the point since both shows are popular, but with their own demographic.

But yeah. Even though The Middle is a Fox produced show, it's a staple of Disney's Abc line up. And if that managed to get Eden another role besides Sue, I'm all for it. I hope to see her outside the sitcom, her and the kid who plays Brick.

As for the show itself, I don't know what I'd compare it to. The relationship between Star and the safe kid almost feels like a genderswapped version of Bobobo-Bo Bo-Bobo and Beauty. Plus it seems to be both homaging and ragging on Magic Girl sentai type shows.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Ugh... yeah. I really do like USM, and it's become my third favorite after Spectacular and His Amazing Friends (which I like more than the predecessor). I consider it Marvel's answer to Batman: Brave and the Bold. The team ups with the Guardians and Deadpool were epic, the one with Jessie, much, much less so. It was awkward all the way around, but probably better written than the average Jessie episode. But it felt like a backdoor pilot to a show that already exists, considering how little time the wall crawler had in his own show. I don't even see the point since both shows are popular, but with their own demographic.
I know I've ragged on the show in the past, but once the 2nd season put less of a focus on cutaway gags and more of a focus on the team-ups, it's grown on me.

The relationship between Star and the safe kid almost feels like a genderswapped version of Bobobo-Bo Bo-Bobo and Beauty. Plus it seems to be both homaging and ragging on Magic Girl sentai type shows.
I'd say the relationship is more like Kim Possible and Ron Stoppable, where she saves him more often than the other way around.

Xerus

Reaction score
Star is a pretty good show. I like the friendship she and Marco have. I think this is becoming the new cartoon craze. Where average boys befriend magical girls. Like Star Vs. The Forces of Evil, The Rainbow Brite Reboot, World of Narue, and my Rebusquest cartoon.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I loved how crazy Star was in the latest episodes, along with all her exaggerated expressions. It's great to know that Twilight Sparkle isn't the only princess to suffer a nervous breakdown. And Rob Paulsen really knows how to pull off silly accents. :big_grin: