Should Muppet Babies be rated TV-G?

Schfifty

Reaction score
Okay, so here's something I've thought about. When Muppet Babies was broadcast on television in the United States, it was given the rating TV-Y, so parents would know that it was intended for young children. It definitely is child-appropriate, with starting the trend of young versions of famous characters and all. However, given that it's been around for a long time, and that several other Muppet productions are rated TV-G, should Muppet Babies ever be rated TV-G as well?

I think it should, even if it ever saw a return to American television in the future. It's been around long enough that I think people of all ages would enjoy it and not just kids. TV-G means it's intended for general audiences, so I think the show could fit, as the entire Muppet franchise was intended for both children and adults.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Okay, so here's something I've thought about. When Muppet Babies was broadcast on television in the United States, it was given the rating TV-Y, so parents would know that it was intended for young children. It definitely is child-appropriate, with starting the trend of young versions of famous characters and all. However, given that it's been around for a long time, and that several other Muppet productions are rated TV-G, should Muppet Babies ever be rated TV-G as well?

I think it should, even if it ever saw a return to American television in the future. It's been around long enough that I think people of all ages would enjoy it and not just kids. TV-G means it's intended for general audiences, so I think the show could fit, as the entire Muppet franchise was intended for both children and adults.
The show is a kids show, it was on Saturday mornings, it would be wrong to give it a TV-G rating which is mostly for classic shows that are clean, TV-G is not used for kids shows. The only muppet productions I have seen on TV have been given these ratings.

• The Muppets Take Manhattan TV-PG
  • It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie TV-PG
  • Lady Gaga and the Muppets TV-PG-D
All of them have been given TV-PG or more which is not really for kids, but TMS would probably either get a TV-PG, but more likely TV-G. Though, I do not think the show would get a TV-Y, though it does not really matter, just watch the show, and have a good time.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Actually on the Muppet Show DVD boxes They are rated TV G I believe

Schfifty

Reaction score
The show is a kids show, it was on Saturday mornings, it would be wrong to give it a TV-G rating which is mostly for classic shows that are clean, TV-G is not used for kids shows.
Then why are cartoons like Animaniacs and Dexter's Laboratory (at least for most of its run) rated TV-G? They're classified as "kids shows", yet are often broadcast along with cartoons that are rated either TV-Y or TV-Y7.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Then why are cartoons like Animaniacs and Dexter's Laboratory (at least for most of its run) rated TV-G? They're classified as "kids shows", yet are often broadcast along with cartoons that are rated either TV-Y or TV-Y7.
Both of those shows have a lot of violence, and are not just for kids as they are more classic cartoons, than that much of a show for kids, but I still doubt it would be rated more than a TV-Y, just my opinion though.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Also, TMS would probably be rated TV-G, but on the UK release, the second season is given a TV-PG, so I really do not know.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Wait. When and where the heck was Muppet Babies broadcast by the time TV ratings were implemented? TV Y-7 seems like a stretch, as it's clearly a younger person's show. By no means violent or scary enough to warrant a TV Y-7. I call bull on that.

As far as I'm concerned TV ratings for kid's shows are meaningless. Like, totally and completely meaningless. Kids younger than 7 watch shows with a TV Y-7 on there. They make TMNT and Power Rangers clothes for small children, if not toddlers. Why do we even have TV Y7?! I'm pretty sure action shows are freaking action shows. We were fine for years when parents made their own rudimentary research as to what cartoons had violence and which didn't. But seriously... Muppet Babies?! Do they give Transformers a TV MA rating? Seems like a local programming market's oversight to me.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Wait. When and where the heck was Muppet Babies broadcast by the time TV ratings were implemented? TV Y-7 seems like a stretch, as it's clearly a younger person's show. By no means violent or scary enough to warrant a TV Y-7. I call bull on that.

As far as I'm concerned TV ratings for kid's shows are meaningless. Like, totally and completely meaningless. Kids younger than 7 watch shows with a TV Y-7 on there. They make TMNT and Power Rangers clothes for small children, if not toddlers. Why do we even have TV Y7?! I'm pretty sure action shows are freaking action shows. We were fine for years when parents made their own rudimentary research as to what cartoons had violence and which didn't. But seriously... Muppet Babies?! Do they give Transformers a TV MA rating? Seems like a local programming market's oversight to me.
That is my point, TV-G is meant for classic shows like The Brady Bunch and TMS to show that it is a show for all ages, but it might have some stuff that kids should not watch, but nothing much, maybe a little violence, drinking, or smoking. TV-Y7 and TV-Y are basically the same thing, they should not even rate kid shows, its not like they have anything disturbing or unsuitable, so they are all the same.

Drtooth

Reaction score
TV Y-7 was meant to placate lazy and or ignorant parents who can't tell the difference between preschool show and action show. Jackie Chan Adventures looks a lot different from Barney and Friends. That's Y-7 enough. TV-G is also useless, and I really think CN's TV-PG rating for half their cartoons is ridiculous. I mean, most cartoons always threw in questionable content with no one complaining. That's how animators communicate with older cartoon fans, actually. Something to say "we know you're out there and we hope you like this." I'm just going to say the TV PG CN shows get is the equivalent of the PG rating clearly G rated movies get to hip themselves up.

Cuz you can swear in TV PG shows. They managed to get a couple PG rated words in Regular Show, but first season only. And crap totally shouldn't be a PG word as it's a substitute for a real hard cuss word.

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score

On The Jim Henson Company's former channel, The Oddesy Channel is a likely guess.