Diamond Select Toys to Produce new Muppet figures and mini mates!

jvcarroll

Reaction score
What pessimism? I have the full support of this line. I'm just saying, there's going to be part of the fanbase that are either going to judge this line based on the last one, or think this is going to be some continuation when it isn't. And then there's going to be part of the fanbase saying "We're going to get [insert painfully obscure character here, I'm tired of making that joke] in series 20!" and then complaining that the line didn't get past the fourth or fifth wave. That's stuff that happens because it has. I totally was one of those people back in the last line, actually.

Cautious optimism not because it's Muppets. Cautious optimism because no one really buys action figures anymore. I'm happy we're getting Muppet stuff at all.
The line isn't anywhere near a release date yet and already there are predictions of negative reception. That's pessimism. There will always be detractors, but after the years of complaining over Disney not releasing a proper line of Muppets toys and figures they're finally doing it. Who knows if it will be successful or what the end result product will be. It takes at least a good six months to get a figure through production and the rough designs are still unapproved. There's really nothing to do other than celebrate the potential at this point. The critiques should come once there's an actual product to look at. That's all I'm saying. :smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't expect the action figure line to include anybody not made by Palisades (except maybe Walter, and a bigger maybe to Bean Bunny and Bobo). But I could see the Mini-Mates line including some characters that Palisades didn't make. But we'll have to wait and see.

Hmm, I wonder if a "Muppets Movies" wave of mini-mates would sell well. One consisting entirely of characters who mainly only appeared in movies. Movie-only characters aren't exactly "big guns", but I don't think any of the movies are too obscure. Maybe if they had an even number of movie variants and movie characters, with each two-pack pairing a character variant with a movie character (like a "big time producer Kermit" and Bubba the Rat, or Charles Dickens Gonzo and Clueless Morgan).

I remember when the Palisades line was out, while I wanted almost every recurring character from The Muppet Show (and one-shot characters from the movies) to be included, I actually didn't really have a desire for there to be characters who only appeared once on The Muppet Show. Up to the time when Angus McGonacle was announced for series 5, I hadn't thought of him as a one shot character. After all, I had noticed him in the background of the Gene Kelly episode and The Muppets Go to the Movies, so for a long time I thought he was a regular character (and yet for some reason hadn't noticed that I only knew of one major appearance by him).

jvcarroll

Reaction score
What I think we can expect:

• Newer characters like Walter, Pepe and Constantine will almost definitely be an inclusion somewhere down the line.
  • The success of the line depends on maintaining high sales - so tell your friends!!!
  • Figures representing projects like TMS, TMM, GMC, MCC, MT, MTI, TM and MMW are covered by Disney's complete ownership so they're likely to be included.
  • Figures representing projects like MTM, MFS and KSY are longshots because they require additional licenses from Sony Pictures.
  • If history tells us anything, figures representing projects like MB and JHH are less likely. Except for Bean Bunny, Disney hasn't shown much love for those properties in product development.
  • Characters from SS, FR, DC, Labyrinth, Storyteller etc are not owned by Disney and will definitely not be included in the figure selection.
  • It appears that the Diamond Select figures will be mostly heavy-hitters while the Mini-Mates will test the ground for the more obscure characters. In other words, if you want Diamond Select to make a Sal, you should probably buy the Mini-Mates one if they ever make him.
  • Figures take about 6 to 9 months from sculpt approval to store shelves so we might not see these until Christmastime. It could even be a year, but I hope not. It all depends how far along they are behind the scenes.
  • Finally, the success of this figure line will predict the success of other types of Muppet products. Go buy them!!!
Just my two cents.

Mr Sweetums

Reaction score
It's been so many years since Palisades, I so excited and ready for these new action figures. I'm happy that they're going to be bigger than the Palisades Action Figures, they'll stand out nicely on display.

Once they release Kermit, Fozzie, Gonzo, Miss Piggy and Animal that's where the real fun begins for me be it The Swedish Chef, The Electric Mayhem or any other secondary character. As far as characters we don't own in our Palisades collection other than Walter (maybe Constantine) I wouldn't really expect anyone else although I'll still wish and hope for a Bobo Bear and Uncle Deadly 2-pack... plus Bean Bunny, Sal Manila, Clueless Morgan etc...

This is why although I'm not that fond of the look of the Mini Mates I'm really excited about them because that's where we might have a chance of adding obscure Muppets to our collections. We have Scooter and Robin in series one that's a good sign :wink:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
It's been so many years since Palisades, I so excited and ready for these new action figures. I'm happy that they're going to be bigger than the Palisades Action Figures, they'll stand out nicely on display.

Once they release Kermit, Fozzie, Gonzo, Miss Piggy and Animal that's where the real fun begins for me be it The Swedish Chef, The Electric Mayhem or any other secondary character. As far as characters we don't own in our Palisades collection other than Walter (maybe Constantine) I wouldn't really expect anyone else although I'll still wish and hope for a Bobo Bear and Uncle Deadly 2-pack... plus Bean Bunny, Sal Manila, Clueless Morgan etc...

This is why although I'm not that fond of the look of the Mini Mates I'm really excited about them because that's where we might have a chance of adding obscure Muppets to our collections. We have Scooter and Robin in series one that's a good sign :wink:
Who said these would be bigger than Palisades? Where is that sourced?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
So I have yet to see the book but what if they use the new encyclopedia that they recently published as a guide for what toys to make. That way we would get Sam and Friends as well.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
OK sorry for double posting, but I am looking at the Diamond toy website, and I like what I'm seeing out of there other products.

For sometime now on other threads on the forum, fans have said that the Muppet fandom is kind of like an underground fandom. However when Diamond starts making these toys it will put the Muppets in the "cult classic" category like a lot of there other products such as Clerks, Pulp Fiction, and Back to the Future.

I also think just by looking at there website that the market is going to be for more older fans, and collectors and not just kids. Which is also a plus in my mind. I think these toys will be a great move for the Muppets in the long run.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
So I have yet to see the book but what if they use the new encyclopedia that they recently published as a guide for what toys to make. That way we would get Sam and Friends as well.
I wonder if Sam and Friends would be allowed. Craig Shemin said in his Tough Pigs interview that Disney owns the characters but for some reason still needs Henson's permission to use them.

• Figures representing projects like MTM, MFS and KSY are longshots because they require additional licenses from Sony Pictures.
I wonder if that will be an issue. Sony owns the films, but Disney owns the characters (including original characters). I wonder how difficult it was for Palisades to include toys based on the movies that Henson didn't own.

Who said these would be bigger than Palisades? Where is that sourced?
I can't remember, but I think it was said by one of the tough pigs people, either on the forum or a Facebook comment, that the prototype sculpts shown were either bigger or smaller than what the final product will be. Who knows, maybe they'll be significantly bigger or smaller, or maybe a different size without really looking a different size.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I wonder if Sam and Friends would be allowed. Craig Shemin said in his Tough Pigs interview that Disney owns the characters but for some reason still needs Henson's permission to use them.

I wonder if that will be an issue. Sony owns the films, but Disney owns the characters (including original characters). I wonder how difficult it was for Palisades to include toys based on the movies that Henson didn't own.

I can't remember, but I think it was said by one of the tough pigs people, either on the forum or a Facebook comment, that the prototype sculpts shown were either bigger or smaller than what the final product will be. Who knows, maybe they'll be significantly bigger or smaller, or maybe a different size without really looking a different size.
The size of the sculpts probably doesn't matter. They usually scale the figures down from the prototypes.

I doubt Sam & Friends is covered by the license. There are enough non-conflict characters in the Muppet library that Disney completely owns so it would make no financial sense to create figures of obscure non-Muppet Show characters with shared rights. I know Palisades wasn't allowed to do the purple version of Yorick. I had him mocked up to accompany Uncle Deadly, but they switched it to the TMS accurate Yorick for several reasons including rights/brand conflicts.

j3h

Reaction score
We've been talking with a representative from DST about these Muppet figures over on the Fwoosh action figure forum and here are a few key points:
  • This line is going to be 7 inch scale, BUT that does not mean the muppets will be 7 inches tall...scale means that the Muppets will be appropriately in scale with human figures that are 7 inches tall. That means the Muppets will be about a inch or so smaller than Palisades offerings.
  • DST is not interested in being a continuation of what Palisades has done or didn't finish. So it is unlikely they will get to Sal Minella anytime soon.
  • Since these are two packs with accessories, it is unlikely that they will come with diorama display bases (which almost all of DST figures come with of some kind)
  • Everyone can direct questions to Diamond select online at www.artasylum.com and select "ask DST"
  • The Rep, "MSWord", did ask about versions of the main cast that have not been done or were hard to get. Naked Rowlf was immediately mentioned and he commented back that it ws a shame Dr. Bob was never made or the rest of the Vets Hospital cast. That's not a hint, but interesting the see the wheels turning.
Personally I think the scale news is cool. DST wants the muppets to be in true scale to all their other action figure offerings...so Kevin Smith could be a guest star or Sam could interact with Captain America (and so on and so on)

I suggested that perhaps if they could find the budget, to include connectable/stackable archways from the opening for display. DST would only have to finance the tooling for one arch which would be issued over and over.