Muppets Most Wanted: What went wrong?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Hmm maybe she was legitimately hurt instead of angry. Kermit would never be THAT mean to her so she was shocked and too hurt to attack him maybe?
I got scared from her instead of hurt. Hurt I could understand.

LipsGF4Life

Reaction score
They could have done a much better job than they did. a LOT of people think disney is butchering the muppets. My opinion is they can do better. lol they could hire me to do some writing but I'd probably make dr. teeth and the electric mayhem have big roles. :big_grin:
Yas! And especially Lips, him especially desurves more roles! I see that only some members of the band only had little roles in the movie, which were Dr.Teeth Floyd Janice and Animal. Zoot and Lips need a much more bigger role, as well as their band mates. I totally agree with you @Ladywarrior

Gonzo14

Reaction score
I would have to disagree with that, Zoot and Lips have always been quiet characters. Even in the early days, they would talk way less then the other members of the Electric Mayhem, because that's their personality.

I think that's the charm of them, especially Zoot. He'll rock out on the Saxophone and then the rest of the time he takes it easy in the background, occasionally chiming in with some random comment, like in The Great Muppet Caper when he says that he lost the wax lips in his pants.

I'm all for the Electric Mayhem being featured more, but in my opinion, Zoot and Lips work best when they don't say much and pick one or two moments to speak up. Both of them seem to enjoy expressing themselves through their instruments rather than their voices.

Harleena

Reaction score
Well, Janice at least got a couple of lines in this one, so that makes me happy.

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
Dr. Teeth has only one line outside of a singing number. Janice and Floyd have the mst lines out of the group. also just remember the guy who voices Zoot always considered him a quiet fellow. he hardly spoke in everything he's in.
But really teeth needs lines. I miss his chatterboxing and butchered grammar.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
While I like the film, the Ruth Buzzi TMS episode does it much better, and this from someone who thinks that season was mediocre to boring, that episode was one of the best of the season, and made it show how this plot should work, MMW jumped the shark, with nobody liking the muppets, they should have made it so that the muppets were being mind controlled, which actually seems like a good excuse, then it wears off, and they realize who he is. Making the muppets like toddlers is sad, though still enjoyed the film, I just try thinking that the muppets are a little tipsy, which makes me enjoy the film.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
As a fan of MTM since age 0, we will have to agree to disagree there, lol. :insatiable:

I do agree that MTM is a very different tone from TMS. It's more about sentimentality than cynical show biz humor. I just don't see much resemblance between TMS and MMW (or TM).

In TMS they all kinda know the show is bad, but they're proud of it anyway. It's the embodiment of the "What, and give up show business?!" joke.

In MMW, the joke is on them not knowing how unpopular they there or even why. That's not funny, that's embarrassing.

And frankly, I don't want to see a meta Muppets movie. In the original three films, they put themselves into artificial, dramatized situations. In TMM, they're playing fictionalized versions of their earlier selves. In GMC, they're playing completely fictional characters in an old fashioned Caper heist. In MTM, they're recent college graduates. It all hearkened back to the old days when Laurel & Hardy or the Marx Brothers were always playing different characters in different situations, just with the same personalities. But you didn't see a Laurel & Hardy movie where they sat around wondering if they're popular or not.
Just about all of this seems completely wrong to me. I don't know what Muppets you've been watching, but yeah...100% off the mark.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I have to agree. Muppets Take Manhattan just isn't as crazy for me. Muppets Most Wanted also in.my opinion balances the two storylines of the Gulag and World Tour/Caper. I think Muppets Take Manhattan could have been even better if we saw more scenes from the rest of the Muppets. Some just had too promising ideas for only one scene especially Rowlf.
MTM, while it contains a lot of Muppety goodness, was the beginning of the truncated Muppets. Aside from it being the beginning of the preoccupation with Muppet babies and Muppet weddings, it also limited the number of important Muppets and set an ill-fitting formulaic standard that reeled-in the wonderful anarchy rather than cut it loose. I love MTM, but TMM and GMC will always be the standard and I feel MMW follows suit. My faves are now: TMM, GMC, MMW, MTM, TM, MTI, MCC and MFS.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
MTM, while it contains a lot of Muppety goodness, was the beginning of the truncated Muppets. Aside from it being the beginning of the preoccupation with Muppet babies and Muppet weddings
I have no idea what Muppet Babies ever did to you, but to each their own, lol.

I don't know what Muppets you've been watching
I've been watching MTM. I guess that makes me a truncated fan. :wink:

it also limited the number of important Muppets
On the contrary, MTM made each Muppet quite important as we yearned for their return. TM and MMW tried to cram every single character into every shot, where half the time Kermit might as well have been standing behind a matte painting of Muppets, who barely got to say anything.

Last edited:

Iscah

Reaction score
One interesting thing I realised with Kermit and Constantine's resemblance (or non-resemblance) is that it works a bit like Kermit and Fozzie's "twin brothers" in Caper. Characters see the brothers as identical, unless one is wearing a hat. And they see the frogs as identical, unless Constantine's mole is visible. (See the scene where Fozzie works it out from the newspaper photo - it's like it magically changes what they perceive. They literally cannot tell the difference otherwise.)

The only difference is how it's presented to the audience - establishing non-identical characters as "identical" through dialogue (indicating that the audience just needs to suspend disbelief for the rest of the movie), or having them look similar-but-distinguishable and just making the characters seem stupid for not working it out.

(For the record, I never liked MTM. Too much sad drama and not enough character interaction - splitting up the group was a bad idea. Kermit seems 'off'. And the whole amnesia scene was depressing and unenjoyable to watch. I've seen the movie twice, both times thought it started off okay, but was quite disappointed by the end. The wedding scene is nice, but not enough to make me like the movie overall...)