We Need Another Movie

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm mixed about the idea. I really like what those guys did with the Muppets, despite the naysayers and Geewunners who didn't think they captured the characters (something that hasn't been done since most of everyone involved originally is gone). I would agree on a trilogy as well, but I think we need to go another direction. We need a more grounded in reality type film like MTM. Something that's not self aware it's a movie with a tone that can be a little less wacky, but by no means a complete downer. I can just see a third movie lampshading the heck out of the second one, and that's fine. I'd just rather they have a completely disconnected alternate universe type deal. Not that it should completely distance itself, but something not so connected to the others.

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
I'm mixed about the idea. I really like what those guys did with the Muppets, despite the naysayers and Geewunners who didn't think they captured the characters (something that hasn't been done since most of everyone involved originally is gone). I would agree on a trilogy as well, but I think we need to go another direction. We need a more grounded in reality type film like MTM. Something that's not self aware it's a movie with a tone that can be a little less wacky, but by no means a complete downer. I can just see a third movie lampshading the heck out of the second one, and that's fine. I'd just rather they have a completely disconnected alternate universe type deal. Not that it should completely distance itself, but something not so connected to the others.
I hear you and that Is why I think the next movie should be a total homage to MTM and have Kermit and Piggy Remarry. I personally think that The Muppets and Muppets Most Wanted recaptured that Muppet Magic from the 1970's and The 1980's something we haven't seen since Jim Henson Died, and some of the same original Muppeteers Who have always worked on the Muppets are still here and others have been here well over 20 years!

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
I kind of feel, whatever their next movie is, should be something TOTALLY different. The homages to TMM in TM11 and homages to TGMC in MMW are nice, but if the next one is going to be like "The Muppets ReTake Manhattan Again?" It's too predictable, in my opinion. I'd like to see them have a REAL world tour, and not just around European countries. Muppets in Tokyo? Maybe.
Or they should try to explore some sort of new plot thread. Maybe not so much with another "Book Adaptation" but...just something different. I'd say revisit the "Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever" type script, and see them bungle their own shoot and blow money on expensive effects for the first act. Maybe another spinoff focusing on a couple characters (Like KSY...but...you know...way better). Electric Mayhem would be interesting, like a "Mockumentery" or something?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Why does everyone need Cheapest Movie so badly? I mean, sure, if Frank Oz were on board and could manage to give it the vision Jim and Jerry Juhl had. But it really seems that project was never finished for a reason. Even if the film was mostly Gonzo filming the movie, showing the actual finished film at the end, I just don't see it working for 90 minutes. Best thing I could link it to is that Darkwing Duck episode where everyone screws with the comic book he's writing or "Stimpy's Cartoon Show." Even then, those episodes worked by being short. Stimpy's cartoon show specifically for having the really bad cartoon at the very end of the episode, and not being the entire episode.

I just think the jokes behind how cheap the movie would be would burn out by the half hour mark, no matter how well it's done.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Why does everyone need Cheapest Movie so badly? I mean, sure, if Frank Oz were on board and could manage to give it the vision Jim and Jerry Juhl had. But it really seems that project was never finished for a reason. Even if the film was mostly Gonzo filming the movie, showing the actual finished film at the end, I just don't see it working for 90 minutes. Best thing I could link it to is that Darkwing Duck episode where everyone screws with the comic book he's writing or "Stimpy's Cartoon Show." Even then, those episodes worked by being short. Stimpy's cartoon show specifically for having the really bad cartoon at the very end of the episode, and not being the entire episode.

I just think the jokes behind how cheap the movie would be would burn out by the half hour mark, no matter how well it's done.
I agree. I'm for just a good idea whatever that may be. The Muppets have come back, they've played their greatest hits, they returned to England and found their voice again. It's time to go forward now and do something with it. There should be a million ways they can go. My only note is that the idea should take a backseat to the Muppets' goofiness and humor. There was a little bit too much plotting in MMW.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The problem with a Muppet movie is that there's so much they can do with the characters, and narrowing down that signature script that's not a redo of an earlier movie. Well... a total redo MTM was essentially an alternate universe TMM with the spin of splitting up instead of building up, and TM somehow managed to grab like minded plot points from VMX. To be fair, those were pretty obvious things for a Muppet movie to go to.

There are so many directions, but I just don't see Cheapest as one of them. Other than the fact that the gag pretty much can't fill up a movie without getting stale less than half way, I doubt we'd get the exact script Jim and Jerry were tooling with. I just see a VMX level of pop culture referencing and very dated humor propping up an unfinished script, instead of gently updating it. I'd love to see a project where Gonzo goes around with an iPhone filming stuff, but that's more of a web series than anything beyond that. I absolutely wouldn't want to see them do another classic retelling. MCC felt restricted, MTI was much looser and felt like a Muppet based movie, but it still wasn't the same as The Muppets as themselves.

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
THE Cheapest movie idea Sounds intriguing but like some others have said the Muppets got there groove back now lets see something original but I still want to see the Muppets do a big wedding for Kermit and Piggy not to do an homage to MTM but because that Is where I think the story is headed based on the last two movies. What about the Cheapest Movie Ever Made mixed with Kermit and Piggy remarrying! :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't mean an exact copy or homage to MTM. I mean something in the same grounded in reality, emotional subtext. Something where they do indeed make jokes, do funny stuff, have fantastic characters doing slightly mundane things the right way this time, MFS! TM and MMW really homaged the style of TMM and GMC, keeping that cartoony style. But I'd love to see a subtle character piece like MTM was for Kermit. Not using the same plot or setting of course, but something that goes for the less cartoony, less self awareness that MTM had. I mean, every other Muppet Movie basically says at one point of another "this is a movie," but MTM has this refreshingly subdued feel through the whole thing. It stands out and is a special movie all its own. Not that any of the others weren't fun for being wackier and cartoonier, but I think that would be a nice way to continue the series. One toned down (but not outright unMuppety) film after a couple cartoony ones.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I actually think The Cheapest Muppet Movie script would work perfectly as a theatrical short, or an online Muppisode at the least. I honestly can't see the script holding up an entire film, but if Disney would be willing to make Cheapest a theatrical short before one of their films, it would work perfectly in a six-minute short.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah. Anything under a half hour. A TV special, a theatrical short. Part of a larger sketch based movie... just not as a 90 minute film.

Actually, that's what I'd personally like to see. A Muppet Sketch film of all new skits. Similar to Monty Python's Meaning of Life. Like short films by the characters or something. I don't think it would fly outside of the fandom, though.