Joseph Gordon-Levitt Signed On to Star in Fraggle Rock Movie

Drtooth

Reaction score
If the Fraggle Rock movie were to at least appeal to the parents that grew up with FR to take their kids it would have needed to have been made when it was first announced. It's not that it's entirely impossible that kids can get into something from just the movie without the nostalgic context or any other projects to familiarize them with. But it's an uphill battle that's higher on the end of risk than reward. The first Smurfs movie somehow made money and propped the franchise up (though they ran the show on Boomerang and released kid friendly DVD's at the time). That lead to the first reprint of English Smurf comics in years. Second one flopped, haven't seen a Papercutz volume ever since.

Somehow Peabody and Sherman was a kind of draw for kids, but it didn't exactly make back its budget domestically. Not much more internationally either, as the cartoon its based on is deeply American. But it did better than all the other Jay Ward based movies. Probably combined.

So a FR movie may just get lucky and introduce kids to the characters, which I have no doubt is the goal of the movie.

Iscah

Reaction score
I just thought - there is one other old series that has made a comeback: My Little Pony. And although I haven't got around to watching more of it, the first two episodes gave me the impression that it's quite similar (at a basic level) to FR - cute, colourful creatures, exploring a magical world, occasionally bursting into song.... if we could get that fandom crowd on board, we'd be all set.

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
This kind of reminds me of Jason Segel Writing Producing and Acting In the Muppets, and supposedly Joseph Gordon Levett is a huge Fraggle Rock/Muppets fan !

superboober

Reaction score
I think the best way for them to go might be as with Wrath of Khan and do an extension to an existing episode of the original series. For example: recall if you will that, after revealing to the Gorgs they'd been hoodwinking them about Sir Hubris returning, Wembley asides to Gobo what would happen when the real Sir Hubris returns. What about a story where he DID in fact come back and reclaim the Universe? And, whether accidentally or on purpose, things get thrown out of whack in the Fraggles and Gorgs' world because of it? Thus, our heroes would have to go on a quest to set things back in balance, which includes a trip into Outer Space to get something to help set it right? And with the T. Matthew Fraggle Room available for use, that's an easy skirting of Doc's workshop if so desired (perhaps make a joke of sorts with it too, with them repeatedly getting the wrong tunnels, despite Traveling Matt's insistence he knows where each and every one leads, until finally finding the right one to Outer Space by accident)

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
I think the best way for them to go might be as with Wrath of Khan and do an extension to an existing episode of the original series. For example: recall if you will that, after revealing to the Gorgs they'd been hoodwinking them about Sir Hubris returning, Wembley asides to Gobo what would happen when the real Sir Hubris returns. What about a story where he DID in fact come back and reclaim the Universe? And, whether accidentally or on purpose, things get thrown out of whack in the Fraggles and Gorgs' world because of it? Thus, our heroes would have to go on a quest to set things back in balance, which includes a trip into Outer Space to get something to help set it right? And with the T. Matthew Fraggle Room available for use, that's an easy skirting of Doc's workshop if so desired (perhaps make a joke of sorts with it too, with them repeatedly getting the wrong tunnels, despite Traveling Matt's insistence he knows where each and every one leads, until finally finding the right one to Outer Space by accident)
I'll Be honest I haven't seen Fraggle Rock since the 1980's I don't remember any of the story lines?