Where's the love for Rocky and Bullwinkle?

Erine81981

Reaction score
I did really enjoy the R&B short that came with the movie. Wished i could have seen it in theaters but didn't but still reminded me how much i care about those two characters and why i got into the cartoon on Nick. I used to tell people that this was my soap like how soaps always live on a cliff hanger. Want more and hope we get more soon.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Again, it was hard being a Gen Y kid, because none of the other kids liked R&B - at that age, anything older than the early 90s was automatically disliked by kids, so considering R&B was way back from the late 50s/early 60s, yeah, nobody liked them. In fact, many kids found the show to be "stupid". Isn't funny how a lot of the better-written cartoons that have a lot of humor that goes over the kids heads for adults, kids automatically call it "stupid"? I guess what they don't understand makes it "stupid", lol. They used to say the same abouw COW AND CHICKEN - that was a really well-written cartoon that had considerable amounts of humor that went right over the kids heads that adults got, yet kids thought it was "stupid". Same with Rocko.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I agree most kids my age didn't care for R&B or those others. I loved all the cartoons that i grew up with older or newer.

But what else is new with kids that grew up with them or not. Most kids that grew up with the shows they remember or shows that weren't new to parents but to kids was that the kids always hated them.

Also kids who grew up with Ren and Stimpy, Rugrats, Doug and other types of cartoons that there parents didn't like that's why most of them didn't enjoyed the older stuff that came before them.

Me and my dad would love watching Ren and Stimpy together and i would tell my friends and they would tell me their dad wouldn't care to watch it only cause it was stupid.

So i see it as kids who grew up during the late 80's early 90's who didn't care for most of the older shows or cartoons only meant that their parents wouldn't care for most of new shows or cartoons. That's how I see it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
They used to say the same abouw COW AND CHICKEN - that was a really well-written cartoon that had considerable amounts of humor that went right over the kids heads that adults got, yet kids thought it was "stupid". Same with Rocko.
By all means, Cow and Chicken was a stupid show, but it owned stupid so hard it was wonderful.

Maybe Bullwinkle would have got more respect in the 90's if they sold T-shirts where they were dressed semi-ironically like hip hop figures and had Rocky dress confusingly like a girl. Worked for Looney Tunes, and look how freaking popular that decade. :smirk:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
By all means, Cow and Chicken was a stupid show, but it owned stupid so hard it was wonderful.
Cow and Chicken is my least favorite of the original three Cartoon Cartoon shows. I didn't hate it, but didn't enjoy it as much and don't feel a big desire to see that again. But it is a much better show than Ed, Edd & Eddy.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Bullwinkle, by comparison, is one of the most sophisticated in terms of humor there is. Have you ever heard of a cartoon series promoted via a series of lush, yet eccentric galas? Jay Ward was the only one to do so as far as I know. Even Fractured Flickers got that extravagant "Coney Island Film Festival." As for the writing itself, Ruby Yacht of Omar Kayam? It's one thing to write over the heads of kids, but that one must've gone over the heads of the entire audience, young and old, unless they're literary majors. Who's going to get that? Unless that piece was better known back then. I doubt it was.

As for Cow and Chicken, it really wasn't for everyone. But I admit, the show's goofiest, idiotic moments are so intentionally moronic that they're pulled off beautifully. What other cartoon show gets away with saying that an eye chart reads "Four Score and a hundred years ago my father bought me a fuzzy pickle at the slurp and burp." If you can take the goofiness of the series, you were in. Others were really turned off by it. Divinely stupid is hard to pull off, and usually you'd get just dumb stuff like "My Gym Partner's a Monkey" and it's incessant monkey butt jokes falling flat.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In the Bullwinkle's Corner segment "The Queen of Hearts", what is that thing that Bullwinkle hits Boris with?

Bliffenstimmers

Reaction score
Appears to be sort of a flail or mace, a sort of medieval weapon of a spiked ball hooked to a chain with a handle...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In The Moose That Roared, it is said that the Fan Club segments were made as a way of subliminally reminding viewers of the Rocky and Bullwinkle merchandise that was out there. Did anybody get a sense of that from the segments? I never did. The segments never featured any Bullwinkle merchandise (whether it was made up for the segment or actually available to buy). Always felt more like extra entertainment for the show, and the fan club seems more like a typical kids clubhouse than a fan club for a TV show.

The only time the fan cub segments had them selling a product was when they sold cookies, and it wasn't "Official Rocky and Bullwinkle Cookies", but cookies in general (in fact the cookers had previously been donated to Captain Peachfuzz, who was tired of getting so many cookies). There were segments involving a telethon, fan club president election, and newspaper publicity stunts, but those didn't really promote products, either.

I've been thinking about the Fractured Fairy Tales segment "Riding Hoods Anonymous", and I've been trying to determine whether, for TV Tropes purposes, the wolf would count as a designated villain or anti-villain, or if Red and her Grandma would qualify as either. Maybe a bit of gray and gray morality? On one hand, the wolf decided to give up riding hoods but is happy that he can still eat the grandma, while Red attacks the wolf (before hearing about Riding Hoods Anonymous) and keeps giving him exploding baskets, and the Grandma is able to trick him (though it's in self-defense, but also has no problem with tricking him into thinking her granddaughter is a grandma, aware that the wolf eats grandmas, though it's likely she knew Red could handle the wolf and vice versa). But then as soon as he decides to quit, they both take him seriously as a threat and run, and it's implied that he eats them (though it's not seen and he doesn't specifically mention that he ate them, just that he lived happily ever after - due to getting memberships into what they sold and hundreds of baskets of goodies, which they could have sent him to distract him).