New Muppet Pilot in Development by Randall Einhorn (The Office, Modern Family) for ABC

Drtooth

Reaction score
There's a difference between adult and "adult." As any really bad adult cartoon can tell you. I have a feeling this will be a more sophisticated, "we're all adults here" type deal in line with better written sitcoms and not the "WE CAN SAY SEX THINGS!!!" juvenileness of a bad Robot Chicken skit/ any given Mr. Pickles episode.

There is indeed a good middle ground between juvenile and juvenile in adult clothing. I have nothing to fear of it being either of those two.

MuppetMan28

Reaction score
The muppets just tweeded a TBT picture on Twitter, that photo was from the muppet show. BUT I have never seen that picture before and it looked really new. So is it just me or is that photo just recently token.

terrimonster

Reaction score
*sighs*
I hope I'm not stepping on toes, but I want to clear this up before it gets dragged out any further.

Dwayne proposed two hypothetical situations that could cause him not to give this project a chance. The first one was:

"One: the original muppeters where recast. Steve, Eric Dave, Bill, all gone."

After stating both hypothetical situations he said,

"Nether one of those is happening...."

His point all along was that the Muppeteers have not been recast, so that is not a reason to fear. When you came along and told him that they have not been recast, it seemed that you had missed his point completely.

I hope that clears it up enough that we can all move on.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Actually, ToughPigs put the hole overblown "adult" buzzword panic in its place better than some of us could.

Of course, the article mentions prude parents already vowing to keep their kids from seeing the completely imaginary "smut" they just automatically panicked about reading the word "adult." Probably the same groups of people who had nothing better to do than whine about Snoop Dogg in that Christmas movie (you know, the voice of Smoov Moove the Snail in a freaking kid's movie) and posted the idiotic comments on Sesame's YT page that got the Katy Perry skit banned.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's kind of like how some people here keep misinterpreting the term "family show" as being a show about families or family life in general, when that is actually called a "domcom" (short for domestic comedy), while a "family show" is just that: a show that's appropriate families to watch.

I digress though. Even if the new show is going to be "adult" in the sense that the show is going to tackle more grown-up situations, they need to be mindful that kids still make up a large demographic of the Muppets' audience, if they stray too far into that territory, we could have situations like certain cartoons ofthe 90s like ROCKO'S MODERN LIFE or COW AND CHICKEN where the kids aren't going to understand it and therefore dismiss it altogether as being a "stupid show." But then again, back in the day, the Muppets were considered "for babies," so what am I even talking about?

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
The muppets just tweeded a TBT picture on Twitter, that photo was from the muppet show. BUT I have never seen that picture before and it looked really new. So is it just me or is that photo just recently token.
That's not from The Muppet Show. That's a photo from the 2011 movie, The Muppets.

Iscah

Reaction score
I honestly can't picture Fozzie having a girlfriend. Having be a momma's boy briefly seemed to fit his insecure yet neurotic personality, but I can't see any girl finding that kind of personality appealing.
He's also sweet and eager-to-please and.... I could see him getting along well with a girl who has a similar sort of personality. (And since her parents are apparently going to be characters too, I can see him stressing out over having to meet them and worried about making a good impression.) At any rate, I'm hopeful about the fact that he's being used for a "serious" storyline and not just cheap gags.

If they're bringing back a past character, the best choice would be Dora from the final chapter of the "Family Reunion" comic arc. She was only in it briefly so there's not much established story to confuse non-comic-readers, but it seemed like it had potential. (Of course, it depends on whether this is in the same "reality" as The Muppet Show...)

On a side note, this will mean that the 'main three' male characters (Kermit, Fozzie, Gonzo) all have girlfriends.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
It's kind of like how some people here keep misinterpreting the term "family show" as being a show about families or family life in general, when that is actually called a "domcom" (short for domestic comedy), while a "family show" is just that: a show that's appropriate families to watch.

I digress though. Even if the new show is going to be "adult" in the sense that the show is going to tackle more grown-up situations, they need to be mindful that kids still make up a large demographic of the Muppets' audience, if they stray too far into that territory, we could have situations like certain cartoons ofthe 90s like ROCKO'S MODERN LIFE or COW AND CHICKEN where the kids aren't going to understand it and therefore dismiss it altogether as being a "stupid show." But then again, back in the day, the Muppets were considered "for babies," so what am I even talking about?
I agree about the "family" label. The religious right of the 80's is responsible for rebranding that word into something more limiting and insidious. The first three Muppet films were family films. Sure, there were some moments with Steve Martin and Madeline Kahn with a bit of edge and subtext that went over the heads of kids while entertaining their parents. That's classic Muppet humor. It walks a fine line sometimes, but it's still family friendly enough.

I never got the impression that the Muppets were for babies in my generation. Maybe the one after got that idea from the Muppet Babies. I admit to graduating to Fraggles around that time. :coy:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
\
I never got the impression that the Muppets were for babies in my generation. Maybe the one after got that idea from the Muppet Babies.
I dunno, but with my generation, you were considered "too old" for the Muppets by the time you were seven or eight.

Yet, ironically, my generation watched TELETUBBIES when it first came to the U.S., and we were eight and nine years old then, but somehow, it mesmerised us. :stick_out_tongue: