New Muppet Pilot in Development by Randall Einhorn (The Office, Modern Family) for ABC

D'Snowth

Reaction score
As for these other pilots. . . .

-Whitney Cummings is getting another show? Why? Nobody liked her first show to begin with.
-Rob Lowe can't keep a series. Why do we keep giving him work? I think it's past time we admitted there's no hope for him, and just move on.
-A RUSH HOUR series? Erm . . . hasn't the spark the original movies had kind of fizzled away long ago? But then again, I think they're working on a new movie right now, are they not?
-A sitcom about the NBA? That might be interesting . . . I doubt it would be like another Harlem Globetrotters . . . in fact, I almost get the feeling it may be like that Will Ferrell movie SEMI-PRO.
-A black UNCLE BUCK? Well, why not? We've got a black HONEYMOONERS, a black JANE THE VIRGIN, Frank Oz did a black version of DEATH AT A FUNERAL, and last year we had a black ANNIE that everyone intentionally ignored that it was a race lifted production . . . sure, why not?
-A sitcom about Satan working for the police force? Yeah, the uber-conversative Far Right groups are gonna shoot this one down before the pilot even makes it to air.
-I really don't want to see a show about a naked lady covered in tattoos, I already see too many clothed women with tattoos in real life.

Is it just me, or does it seem like a majority of these pilots are superhero and cop themed?

LaRanaRene

Reaction score

-Whitney Cummings is getting another show? Why? Nobody liked her first show to begin with.
-Rob Lowe can't keep a series. Why do we keep giving him work? I think it's past time we admitted there's no hope for him, and just move on.
-A RUSH HOUR series? Erm . . . hasn't the spark the original movies had kind of fizzled away long ago? But then again, I think they're working on a new movie right now, are they not?
-A sitcom about the NBA? That might be interesting . . . I doubt it would be like another Harlem Globetrotters . . . in fact, I almost get the feeling it may be like that Will Ferrell movie SEMI-PRO.
-A black UNCLE BUCK? Well, why not? We've got a black HONEYMOONERS, a black JANE THE VIRGIN, Frank Oz did a black version of DEATH AT A FUNERAL, and last year we had a black ANNIE that everyone intentionally ignored that it was a race lifted production . . . sure, why not?
-A sitcom about Satan working for the police force? Yeah, the uber-conversative Far Right groups are gonna shoot this one down before the pilot even makes it to air.
-I really don't want to see a show about a naked lady covered in tattoos, I already see too many clothed women with tattoos in real life.

Is it just me, or does it seem like a majority of these pilots are superhero and cop themed?
Let's hope the Muppets is the best of all

jvcarroll

Reaction score

I am so happy to hear the reaction to the Muppets show. It sounds like they've found the right balance. Let's hope.

Superheroes and cops are easier to sell to audiences, I guess. It really is unimaginative, but the Flash is a solid show so at least that came out of the superhero glut of last season. And Netflix's Daredevil is amazing. Gotham seems to be hit-or-miss from week to week.

Whitney Cumming's show was terrible, but she's also the co-creator of Two Broke Girls. I don't watch it, but it's popular and that's probably why they're giving her another shot.

Frank Oz didn't do the black version of Death at a Funeral. He shot the original and then Hollywood decided to remake it with an African American cast. I don't think he had much to do with that. I couldn't make it through the first ten minutes of that remake when it was on cable. Eugh.

I agree that Rob Lowe just doesn't have the charisma he once did. Or at least it doesn't really last much longer than the length of a commercial. Leaving the West Wing all those years ago (because they gave screentime to other actors) was probably his worst career decision ever.

Limitless sounds interesting. I'm particularly pleased to hear they've revived Tales from the Darkside. That was such a fun series.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Wha? A sitcom about Satan working for the police force? What happened to Satan and the Schoolgirl? *Angry demand!

All kidding aside, I'll be waiting for the new Muppet pilot project to air. I'm sure we'll all have opinions to share at that time.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Superheroes and cops are easier to sell to audiences, I guess. It really is unimaginative, but the Flash is a solid show so at least that came out of the superhero glut of last season. And Netflix's Daredevil is amazing. Gotham seems to be hit-or-miss from week to week.
I'm afraid the bubble on that one will burst. I mean, CBS is ordering a Supergirl series. While I'm all for a female head up superhero show, I'd rather see an original creation and not one of DC's "take one of our popular super heroes and make them a woman" characters. Personally, I'd rather see comic book based television shows than yet another show about young nerdy hackers fighting terrorists like it's 2003. I heard good things about Scorpion, but actually checked it out and found it the same exact CBS crime drama in a different, hipper and trendier package. All the sarcastic one liners in the world couldn't make it better than it is. I'll agree that Gotham is inconsistent. I give them credit for trying, and it's certainly a nice change of pace from the same crime drama formula of interviewing suspects and finding out it was the one they either didn't interview or dismiss in the first place.

Whitney Cumming's show was terrible, but she's also the co-creator of Two Broke Girls. I don't watch it, but it's popular and that's probably why they're giving her another shot.
She's a co-creator, but it ends there. I find 2 Broke Girls alright, but it hardly has longevity. I like sex puns as much as the next barely mature guy, but it seems those get priority over plot, and it gets more forced every season. But Whitney was amazing. At least in the fact that everyone absolutely loved it when it first came out for some reason, but by the time the third episode aired, everyone realized what a freaking awful, 90's wanna be crapfest it really was. Which goes back to what I was saying earlier, there might be an overload of laugh track-less theatrical looking sitcoms, but it's not like they can make a decent classic style sitcom anymore.