Speculations for ABC's The Muppets

Drtooth

Reaction score
I hope that the series proper manages to keep Chip around as a running gag. I loved watching the pitch and all, I thought it was funny and stuff, but nothing cracked me up like Chip randomly questioning, "Was I in Muppet Treasure Island?"

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Given he's the likeness of the creator, it seems entirely possible.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I heard that Bill Prady said that the show can have any possible Muppet character appear. I guess he means any Muppet character that Disney owns the rights to, but I wonder if he also means any obscure character whose puppet is still useable, or if they will rebuild any obscure characters if the need arises.

Suddenly I feel like it would be great if there was an official list of all Muppet characters whose puppets are in good enough shape to be used. Judging from the last two movies, it seems like most of the Muppets Tonight/Muppet Treasure Island-era puppets are still in good enough condition (though there are quite a few who we haven't seen since that era, like Bill the Bubble Guy, Seymour, A. Ligator, Gary Cahuena, Snokey Bloir...).

Like how The Simpsons has been on for so long that even really minor characters have had moments and episodes centered around them.
I think the only minor characters from the Simpsons not to have their own episodes are Larry and Sam (the barflies seen in the background at Moe's), Leopold, Apu's brother, and Squeaky-Voiced Teen.

muppetlover123

Reaction score
I heard that Bill Prady said that the show can have any possible Muppet character appear. I guess he means any Muppet character that Disney owns the rights to, but I wonder if he also means any obscure character whose puppet is still useable, or if they will rebuild any obscure characters if the need arises.

Suddenly I feel like it would be great if there was an official list of all Muppet characters whose puppets are in good enough shape to be used. Judging from the last two movies, it seems like most of the Muppets Tonight/Muppet Treasure Island-era puppets are still in good enough condition (though there are quite a few who we haven't seen since that era, like Bill the Bubble Guy, Seymour, A. Ligator, Gary Cahuena, Snokey Bloir...).

I think the only minor characters from the Simpsons not to have their own episodes are Larry and Sam (the barflies seen in the background at Moe's), Leopold, Apu's brother, and Squeaky-Voiced Teen.

Bill Barretta said on Facebook when someone asked about Johnny and Sal appearing, that Johnny and Sal would have to be rebuilt.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
It strikes me as odd that those puppets are "toast," while Chip is almost a decade older and is in semi-functional condition, as well as other MT and Mopatop-refurbished characters used in the movies.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Bill Barretta said on Facebook when someone asked about Johnny and Sal appearing, that Johnny and Sal would have to be rebuilt.
I was mainly referring to MT/MTI-era puppets that hadn't been used for a long time and then were suddenly seen again in recent productions. Johnny Fiama and Sal continued to be used again constantly for six years after MT ended, so they would be worn out.

With Chip, though he does look a little worn, he was only in two scenes on The Jim Henson Hour and wasn't really used much, though he was seen in the background quite a bit in the late-1990s. Hmm, I wonder how many other JHH characters can be used again. I wouldn't be surprised if Bean or Clifford would need to be rebuilt by now, but I wonder about the condition of little-seen characters like Anthony, Fern, Ubu, Codzilla, and Merlin's Assistant.

Stulz

Reaction score
I was mainly referring to MT/MTI-era puppets that hadn't been used for a long time and then were suddenly seen again in recent productions. Johnny Fiama and Sal continued to be used again constantly for six years after MT ended, so they would be worn out.

With Chip, though he does look a little worn, he was only in two scenes on The Jim Henson Hour and wasn't really used much, though he was seen in the background quite a bit in the late-1990s.
Yeah that's probably what happened. I would love to see Ubu and Codzilla used again too!

I wonder if they'll incorporate any creature shop Muppet characters, like they did during the JHH, Mother Goose, Faffner Hall era. They didn't always work that great visually together but the effects those puppets could pull of were spectacular!

Here's hoping the new series finds a way to bring Digit, Flash, Clifford, Bean and even Lindberg back to the Mupepts troupe!

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I really hope we get to see more of Johnny Fiama and Sal Minella who are probably one of my favorite duo, and I wonder if we will get to see Clifford or any other muppets in the show.