Kermit and Miss Piggy Officially Split!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
people are talking about the Muppets and their new show. The ends justify the means.
Sure, the marketing people did their job and earned their salary. Now it's the show's turn to prove itself. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Their break-up is the #1 trending topic on Facebook right now. Whether you like it or not, people are talking about the Muppets and their new show. The ends justify the means.

Sigh... if only they pulled something like this for MMW and not just get them to go on QVC. Then it probably wouldn't have been spanked at the box office by a mediocre cliche storm based on a factory made YA novel.

We all want this show to do well. Even if some don't like the end result, keeping the characters back in the public eye translates to more T-shirts, Pop vynals, plush toys, and maybe DVD releases (or at the very least, more Netflix releases). To me, as long as they don't become a Terrible, gimmicky rock band with like, one good song amongst a field of misfires, a Super Hero team based on the fact some out of touch 50 year old board room member saw a kid holding a DBZ figure somewhere, or what they did to George of the Jungle, I'm fine with it.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I can guarantee that Disney will still market materials of Kermit and Piggy as a couple in products etc. The point is that they don't have the same sort of relationship as Mickey and Minnie. They've always had a hysterically contentious romance (that was mostly one-sided on the Muppet Show).

I keep reading all of these silly comments on YouTube and across the web where casual fans are freaking out about everything from alcohol references to sexual tension. The Muppets have always had this! A lot of their humor was pasteurized after Jim died and I guess a lot of fans grew up with these safer post-Jim Muppets, but I'm glad they're going back to their roots and moving forward from there.

I don't want the Muppets to be safe. I don't want them trying to hard to be "hip" either. And I think what we've seen so far has handled everything pretty well. As for the "what if" pessimism, I won't engage in that. There are some people who will always find something to be upset about or to pick apart (that will probably never happen anyway).

Many fans measure the Muppets in a "what would Jim do" sort of mindset. I challenge these same fans to also take on the positive, can-do attitude Jim had when watching this new stuff. We certainly don't have to like everything. I don't like everything the Muppets have done nor do I like everything Jim did with them. He wasn't perfect. The Muppets are best when they're experimental and that requires falling flat sometimes. What I hope is that some of the naysayers will stop complaining so much and take a leap of faith. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I keep reading all of these silly comments on YouTube and across the web where casual fans are freaking out about everything from alcohol references to sexual tension. The Muppets have always had this! A lot of their humor was pasteurized after Jim died and I guess a lot of fans grew up with these safer post-Jim Muppets, but I'm glad they're going back to their roots and moving forward from there.
Are these actual people who watched Muppet projects in the past or prudish parents that bought The Muppet Movie on DVD for their 3 year old because it features all their favorite Sesame Street friends?

It's kinda like a huge realization I had a while back. You look at the CGI movie version of Horton Hears a Who and it's all at the moment pop culture references, and everything that you'd expect from an early 00's Dreamworks film (essentially being as unoriginal as possible). Then you look at the Horton Hatches the Egg Warner Bros cartoon... guess what it has? At the moment pop culture references! Ruhlly it does. And the bonus of at the moment suicide humor.

Wouldn't doubt that some of those prudish parent casual fans would be complaining about how juvenile the Muppet Moments things were as well. Some like to be stuck in a nostalgia bubble. And that, by no means include those who actually watch the original stuff on a regular basis and can actually pick things out with a careful eye. Just casuals that watched Follow That Bird like once when they were 6, and think Miss Piggy is in it somehow.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
It's kinda like a huge realization I had a while back. You look at the CGI movie version of Horton Hears a Who and it's all at the moment pop culture references, and everything that you'd expect from an early 00's Dreamworks film (essentially being as unoriginal as possible). Then you look at the Horton Hatches the Egg Warner Bros cartoon... guess what it has? At the moment pop culture references! Ruhlly it does. And the bonus of at the moment suicide humor.
Are you telling me a gun-toting Peter Lorre fish wasn't in the original Seuss book?

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
I can guarantee that Disney will still market materials of Kermit and Piggy as a couple in products etc. The point is that they don't have the same sort of relationship as Mickey and Minnie. They've always had a hysterically contentious romance (that was mostly one-sided on the Muppet Show).

I don't want the Muppets to be safe. I don't want them trying to hard to be "hip" either. And I think what we've seen so far has handled everything pretty well. As for the "what if" pessimism, I won't engage in that. There are some people who will always find something to be upset about or to pick apart (that will probably never happen anyway).

Many fans measure the Muppets in a "what would Jim do" sort of mindset. I challenge these same fans to also take on the positive, can-do attitude Jim had when watching this new stuff. We certainly don't have to like everything. I don't like everything the Muppets have done nor do I like everything Jim did with them. He wasn't perfect. The Muppets are best when they're experimental and that requires falling flat sometimes. What I hope is that some of the naysayers will stop complaining so much and take a leap of faith. :smile:
Agree wholeheartedly. Sit back and enjoy folks. Stop with the nitpicking and the "they should have done this" or "I don't like that they did this". They aren't going to please everybody. This is the most exciting time to be a Muppet fan in the last 30 years.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
or prudish parents that bought The Muppet Movie on DVD for their 3 year old because it features all their favorite Sesame Street friends?
I don't care why they buy The Muppet Movie as long as they do, lol.

As far as pop culture references and mature humor, it really depends on the execution. There's a fine line. Jim understood this the overwhelming majority of the time. Since then, it's been hit or miss. And in my experience most "casual" fans do know this.