Joey Mazzarino leaving Sesame Street

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Sad news today, yet another cast member on Sesame Street is leaving the show. Head writer and Muppeteer Joey Mzzarino is leaving the show after 25 years. Confirmed via Mazzarino's Facebook.

Last edited:

ploobis

Reaction score
What is the reason for Joey leaving the Sesame Street?

Drtooth

Reaction score
We don't have one yet. Which makes this kinda... cryptic, possibly worrisome.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I guess Matt Vogel played the Murray impostor in this clip. He would make a good replacement for Joey.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
We don't have one yet. Which makes this kinda... cryptic, possibly worrisome.
I hope it's nothing to do with his health or the move to HBO. Perhaps he just wasn't getting to spend enough time with his family.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Which is exactly why I say worrisome. Not because something bad's happening, but because of the possibilities of what it could be. Speculation causes panic, and usually the end result is something far less severe.

What's going to be the devil in the speculation is the HBO deal. The narrative is too good not to speculate upon. Was there something sinister about the deal that Joey felt was not right and he left on moral grounds? Did he get ticked off that they took Murray off the show? Is he upset he's not being paid as much as someone else on the show? All great obvious little stories to paint the deal as negative.

BUT

What will probably happen is that he wants to pursue his own kid's show project or something or doesn't want to be forever tethered to one TV show his whole life. Or something even more mundane and rational than that.

Just keep in mind that until we get a reason, if we get one at all, don't let the mind wander into negative territory.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Which is exactly why I say worrisome. Not because something bad's happening, but because of the possibilities of what it could be. Speculation causes panic, and usually the end result is something far less severe.

What's going to be the devil in the speculation is the HBO deal. The narrative is too good not to speculate upon. Was there something sinister about the deal that Joey felt was not right and he left on moral grounds? Did he get ticked off that they took Murray off the show? Is he upset he's not being paid as much as someone else on the show? All great obvious little stories to paint the deal as negative.

BUT

What will probably happen is that he wants to pursue his own kid's show project or something or doesn't want to be forever tethered to one TV show his whole life. Or something even more mundane and rational than that.

Just keep in mind that until we get a reason, if we get one at all, don't let the mind wander into negative territory.
Yeah, good point. Perhaps what we should be speculating on is who could replace him ,both as the head writer and performing his characters.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
the Mindset quoted his Facebook post:

after almost a year of battling for what I believe is the heart and soul of the show, I lost the war. So I packed up my metaphorical bags and and my literal office and I parted ways with Sesame Street‘.

cahuenga

Reaction score
Now the show will be centered on 6 main characters. I think Joey´s characters aren´t so important to the show, I would love to see the return of characters like Forgetful, Sherlock, Herry or Mumford than new characters like Murray, Papa bear or Stinky being recasted. I wish him the best.

I read that Annie Evans has left sesame Workshop back in August, so I think season 47 will be the start of a new era of the show.

Last edited:

animalrescuer

Reaction score
I can only speculate why Joey left. I'm betting it has something to do with the HBO deal. Maybe he didn't like where the show was going or maybe he found a better job opportunity.

Somehow, I feel that the show is starting to fall apart. Sonia left, the HBO deal and now Joey is leaving. I wish Joey well with whatever he decides to do next. Godspeed, Joey!