The Muppets Episode 1 - Pig Girls Don't Cry (Pilot)

What did you think of "The Muppets" series premiere "Pig Girls Don't Cry"?

• Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

• Bork bork! This episode was good.

• Mee mee. This episode was so-so.

• You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

Results are only viewable after voting.

rexcrk

Reaction score
I love that Bobo is sort of a main character. Always loved him. I got a big laugh out of him asking Kermit "so how'd that go for you, then, ok?" very similar to Muppets From Space.

I thought Eric did a pretty great job with Sam in this episode. He's the one Frank Oz character I'm "protective" of because Frank was SO brilliant as Sam, and I was pretty impressed with him in this episode.

Hopefully we'll get to see Rowlf and Walter soon.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi guys. You were hexpecting me not to come in and add my own comments?

1 Good choice for a title, not sure if anyone besides me caught it as a reference to the song "Big Girls Don't Cry" by Frankie Avalon and The Four Seasons.
2 Loved Kermit's quote after parking his car, "time to get things started", nice nod to the original Muppet Show.
3 Wait.... :rolleyes: cousin Manolo finally got married? How come that was never covered in a thread of its own?
4 Muppet morning meetings! I've gotten to like these type of scenes, probably blame that on WebMistressGina's Muppet fanfics, especially her Monday Monday series.
*Fanfic plug. :electric:
5 Didn't notice anything wrong with :big_grin:'s speech, he often talks like that and gets labelled as a walking verbal thesaurus. That's probably how they write his speech too.
6 The type of meeting :cool: thought he was at, heh, that was a good joke.
7 Who was that doing Piggy's makeup, was it a new Muppet character?
8 Loved the Dancing With the Tzars sketch.
9 So that was Denise... She has a sort of Southern twang to her voice and a bit of devil-may-care personality, I'll be watching her bits in further episodes, but I kind of like her.
10 LOL'ed at the rats behind the podium. That's reminiscent of the podium gag from Police Academy, which is probably why it made me laugh so hard.
11 Carl! Don't call him a worthless piece of fur. You know what happened to the last guy who called him, hey, come back here!
12 Glad we got some substance as to the brake-up story between Kermit and Piggy. Though I thought it dragged a little with no dialogue at the very end.

All in all I give it 5 Wows... If only the forum had a Telly Monster icon to go with that.

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
Hi guys. You were hexpecting me not to come in and add my own comments?

5 Didn't notice anything wrong with :big_grin:'s speech, he often talks like that and gets labelled as a walking verbal thesaurus. That's probably how they write his speech too.
I just thought it seemed odder than usual. I tend to pay a good amount of attention to anything dr. teeth says because he's my favorite muppet. Maybe it's just been so long since he's had actual dialogue so it felt a little off.

Muppy

Reaction score
I loved this episode! Perfect start to the show IMO.

(by the way that intro is fantastic. Gets the energy up and I'm ready to "get things started"!)

jobi71

Reaction score
Overall I liked it a lot and I think it has a lot of promise. Since I have been following the show's development and seen the pilot pitch etc a lot of what happened in this episode was not a surprise. So, I am very much looking forward to (and avoiding spoilers of) the next few episodes. That being said there were some great moments - Scooter distracting Elizabeth Banks, Dancing with the Tsars (Only one note!), Big Mean Carl's talking head "Hey! Where ya goin?!" Kermit and Piggy felt like a real couple or a real sitcom couple (meant as a compliment). Fozzie had some great character stuff as well. And lots of fun muppet cameos in the background. You definitely need to DVR in order to see all of the characters in the background.

I wonder how much will carry over from episode to episode. I know major plots like Kermit and Piggy's will, but Animal disappeared at the end of this episode will he be missing in the next? Or returned from having gone somewhere? Or just a joke to have him fall into the drum? I hope they pick it up.

Also I hope in any meeting scene they stuff it with random and obscure muppets. Obviously you need Kermit, Fozzie and Gonzo there (and anyone needed for that show's plot) but I would love to see all sorts of randoms at the table. They don't even need to have lines (although that would be great) but imagine all the cameos there could be.

I love the call back to Sweetums being the cue card boy. Although used briefly Uncle Deadly is great. And great meta joke with the lint brush. No Walter or Rowlf this week. I'll assume Walter was across the street getting hammered at Rowlf's bar on Mai Tai's.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
It's still a show about Kermit and Piggy.

It's just a show about Kermit and Piggy being in a relationship and being unkind to each other and NOT being funny,

instead of

a show about Kermit and Piggy being in a relationship which is both affectionate and snarky and being funny.

SpookyMania

Reaction score
I thought it was a pretty strong first outing. I didn't love it like I thought I would, but I think that since the episode felt so rushed (because of commercials), there was a lot of stuff I missed. The adult humor didn't bother me; it really wasn't "perverted" or too "risque". The final scenes between Kermit and Piggy were excellent and were my favorite parts.
I just think the overall tone of the show needs to be worked on. The characters do seem a little bit snarkier and mean, but I don't think they'll stay that way. Ultimately, I thought the pitch reel was more lighthearted and entertaining. If the rest of the series can match the quality of that 10-minute reel, I think we'll be in for a treat.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
BTW: Thanks for clearing up that was Bobo with Kermit in one of the BTS moments. Thought it was a scene taking place at Rowlf's Tavern, I'm looking forward to how that's used going forward.
Also recognized some of the moments from the SDCC pilot made it into this first episode like Gonzo's critique of the cut-away interview format and Fozzie's confrontation with Becky's parents.