The Muppets Episode 1 - Pig Girls Don't Cry (Pilot)

What did you think of "The Muppets" series premiere "Pig Girls Don't Cry"?

• Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

• Bork bork! This episode was good.

• Mee mee. This episode was so-so.

• You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Kermit hasn't really been that much of the 'leader" of the group since Jim's passing: back in those days, Jim was the glue that held his company together, and in a sense, Kermit was the glue that held the mUppets together. Since then, the other performers have stepped ip to the plate in an effort to keep the Muppets as a whole alive after his passing, so with that in mind, the other Muppet characters are given more to do beyond being part of Kermit's company; it's kind of more of a truer ensemble now.
You are right, Snowthy. It is more of an ensemble thing now, but Piggy is always pushed into the "outsider" camp.

For someone who couldn't remember anyone's name, Piggy sure comes through in a clinch--every time. (Good to "see" you here.)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Oh, and another example of adult language being used in a Henson production? THE CUBE had both "#377" and "d @ m n" heard throughout, and this was still a year or two before you were really allowed to swear on network TV.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Ok, here is my two cents about the first episode.

1. I really enjoyed all the jokes. They were really funny and it did make me laugh several times through out the whole show.

2. Fozzie having to meet his girlfriends parents was hilarious. I want more of Fozzie and Becky. Funny stuff there.

3. Denice - I really didn't mind her one bit. I thought they did a good job introducing her. I liked how she acted and how she sounded. I love that she has a kinda country talk to her.

4. And we finally are able to find out why they broke up. I love it. It makes more sense.

My final thoughts are I really enjoyed it. Writers, scenery & the characters. All were absolutely perfect. I had seen all the ads and the 10 minute pilot and I still enjoyed it. Thanks ABC and I really hope that it does well.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Yeah, if I have one qualm with the show so far, it's that. I understand that this is just the first episode and it really shouldn't make us too terribly worried, but some of the sexual jokes were just cringeworthy. Like the "cross promoting" joke and Rizzo trying to "get" Yolanda.
Rizzo tried to get Yolanda in MTM, but people say that is fine, and not adult, very kid friendly.

Big Bird Fan

Reaction score
Been awhile since I last posted, but I was so excited about the new show I wanted to share my thoughts.

I really hope Fozzie dating is something we see more of this season. I LOVE how they're finally doing something different with the character.

We need more Sam. This is the perfect job for him and I love his notes already.

Just seeing so many of the Muppets again was nice. Being able to see something new with them every week still feels too good to be true.

The adult humor was a little jarring at first, but in a GOOD way, to me at least. It was adult, but still something older kids could watch. I know not everyone likes it, but I think it's great that this isn't some kids show. I agree with those who think Jim Henson would've liked this.

I've always been a fan of the Kermit/Piggy relationship, but I think breaking them up for the show was a smart move. We all know they'll eventually get back together, but it makes better TV to have everyone wonder when that'll finally happen. The break up itself was handled well in my opinion. I assumed it'd just be some big loud fight, but the way it happened felt very real which made it much sadder than I thought it'd be. Piggy didn't even yell or anything after it happened, just stood there stunned and hurt. :frown:

Obviously, Kermit and Piggy were my favorite part of the show. It was nice to know that Piggy had a good reason for acting the way she did and she wasn't just being some super diva. The conversation the two had near the end was nice and I'm excited to see where they go from here.

For a first episode I thought they did a great job. I probably would've found it funnier if I hadn't seen that 10 minute pitch movie since they reused a lot of the jokes. But as long as the stories stay this interesting it doesn't matter to me how many laughs I get out of it. :smile:

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
OK, where to begin...

Being a huge Muppet fanatic, I thought the first episode was pretty good and enjoyable. I enjoyed pretty much everything from Fozzie trying so hard to impress Becky's parents, to Elizabeth's annoyance with Scooter's tour, Kermit and Piggy discussing their relationship issues...there really was a great amount of classic Muppet humor!

At this point, I can't help but wondering how successful the show will be, and how other people feel about the mockumentary style we'll be seeing in the show-I personally have mixed feelings about the Muppets using cutaway interviews.

In the end, I feel like this show has some potential and hopefully it will get better as the season progresses on.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
You are right, Snowthy. It is more of an ensemble thing now, but Piggy is always pushed into the "outsider" camp.
From my perspective, Piggy's the "outsider" because she sees herself as really the only one with any talent value. Fozzie's a terrible comic, Gonzo's acts never work; Piggy's the only one with any actual potential. It's only natural that she'd find her own venues of success outside of the Muppet clan.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
At this point, I can't help but wondering how successful the show will be, and how other people feel about the mockumentary style we'll be seeing in the show-I personally have mixed feelings about the Muppets using cutaway interviews.
Again, that's my problem: practically every single-camera sitcom on television since THE OFFICE has been in the mockumentary style, as if its an industry standard now; and Disney brought in writers/producers from THE OFFICE and MODERN FAMILY, so of course they're going to try to make THE MUPPETS like their other shows. I find the mockumentary style to be played . . . very played . . . and it just feels so out of place on television. Works fine for movies, like the stuff Christopher Guest used to crank out, but for weekly series, where you like to be able to invest in the characters and their foibles, the mockumentary style gives shows an artificial and disjointed feel that takes you out of the atmosphere of the show . . . not unlike the problem with some live audience shows where the audience goes ballistic whenever the popular character enters the scene, and the actors just freeze and wait for the audience to settle down before continuing with the scene. SANFORD AND SON was a notorious offender of that whenever anybody entered the scene.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
So finally getting to watch a new muppet show made me really happy, even if it had been a really bad show, I would still want to watch it. Overal, I liked it, great episode.

Pros

• Fozzie and Becky was a great plot, and meeting their parents was hilarious.
  • Sam the Eagle as the censor works really well.
  • The intro was really cool.
  • Lots of characters were used, I mean in this half hour, we got more lines of dialogue from minor characters then we got in the last two muppet movies, Dr. Teeth, Janice, Zoot, and Floyd all getting lines. Bobo popping up, and saying funny stuff, and Big Mean Carl was hilarious.
  • You worthless piece of fur was the funniest joke of the episode.
  • Great puppetry.
  • Tom Bergeron was the funniest guest star, hilarious in every part he was in.
  • Many subtle references, people call them edgy and forced, but I thought they were hilarious.
Cons

• No Rowlf, I know he will be in other episodes, and it is not really a complaint on the episode, but I wanted to see him in the pilot.
  • Some of the pop culture references felt weird and forced.
  • I just didn't like the woman on the laptop, something about it felt off, probably not a main character though.
  • They cut out the part with Kermit in the car, which was probably my favorite part of the short pilot.

Overall, for a pilot, which I rarely think are really good for most shows I watch. It was really good, they have some minor problems, but nothing that hurts the show, great overall, really want to watch Fozzie and Jay Leno in the next episode of the show.

Score: 8/10