The Muppets Episode 1 - Pig Girls Don't Cry (Pilot)

What did you think of "The Muppets" series premiere "Pig Girls Don't Cry"?

• Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

• Bork bork! This episode was good.

• Mee mee. This episode was so-so.

• You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

Results are only viewable after voting.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Surprisingly, I did not enjoy this show. After watching it I felt frustrated and bummed, because there wasn't enough familiar things.
Two things would have worked me:
One is the modern twist, which they did but instead have new characters, or only a few old ones.
I'm confused. So you think there weren't enough familiar things, yet would have preferred they have new characters and only a few old characters? The Jim Henson Hour and Muppets Tonight both had a lot more new characters than old characters, and around here that seems to be one of the biggest fan complaints about Muppets Tonight (I don't really see many complaints about the new characters from JHH being used significantly more than old characters).

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
Like I said this show is for the Kids who grew up with the Muppets in the 70's and 80's And are now adults, Being that I am neither Conservative nor Christian, I am Buddhist and believe in the force from star wars:smile:, I am not shedding any tears for those conservative Christian Parents that got a rude awakening. I live In America and we have the right to either watch or don't watch, or here is a novel idea set a block on your TV so your kids can't watch if it bothers you so much. Do I think they Might of done a Poor Marketing job on this making it seem like it was for Little kids, Yes I would agree to that. On the other hand Little Kids shouldn't be up at 8:00PM on a school night, My 7 year old nephew who has lived with me his whole life with his mom, my sister, because his dad is A deadbeat dad who left him when he was an Infant, my nephew goes to bed anywhere from 7:00PM to 7:30PM they, "ABC" might also be wise to put a 14 rating on the show so people know what age is appropriate, this reminds me of that christian Conservative group that pulled this same stunt with the Simpsons, the Simpsons is an Adult show after all kids should not be watching it.
Being a Conservative and a Christian I can tell you even though I do not LIKE some of the stuff they are doing now I enjoy the new show very much and intend to see more. as for the million moms complaining. they complain about EVERYTHING and I don't really put much stock into what they say. Plus I'm an adult but I am pretty sure kids WILL watch this because it's muppets. Kids like muppets. Adults like Muppets. There's nothing wrong with liking muppets. Lol the muppet show was geared more toward adults when it aired but my mother's little kid brother watched it when it aired. I like when adults shows can be enjoyed by children as well as adults.

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
Being a Conservative and a Christian I can tell you even though I do not LIKE some of the stuff they are doing now I enjoy the new show very much and intend to see more. as for the million moms complaining. they complain about EVERYTHING and I don't really put much stock into what they say. Plus I'm an adult but I am pretty sure kids WILL watch this because it's muppets. Kids like muppets. Adults like Muppets. There's nothing wrong with liking muppets. Lol the muppet show was geared more toward adults when it aired but my mother's little kid brother watched it when it aired. I like when adults shows can be enjoyed by children as well as adults.
you bring up some really good points, I agree. wasn't there a scene in The Muppets Movie where restaurant patrons in Doc Hoppers were drinking beer? how would that go over today in a kids movie no less?

going back to my post about Variety shows, The Comedian and Actor Pete Davidson who is on SNL his Mom, who lived on Cloverdale AV In Staten Island NY Great Kills, lived across the street from my Grandmother and when she was a kid she baby sat for me and my sisters who lived around the block on Ocean View Pl so I always hope the best for Pete and root for him to do good.

Last edited:

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
Heh just remember in a lot of older disney movies characters would get drunk and smoke. Pegleg Pete, Captian Hook, Rattagan. Heck there's even a scene in The Great Mouse Detective where mice get drunk and a stripper appears on stage!

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
Heh just remember in a lot of older disney movies characters would get drunk and smoke. Pegleg Pete, Captian Hook, Rattagan. Heck there's even a scene in The Great Mouse Detective where mice get drunk and a stripper appears on stage!
all true and Loony Toons did episodes centered around Hitler and most episodes had guns and major violence some how my parents and my generation some how survived with out growing up to be serial killers or something like that all while growing up on the Loony Toons .....:smile:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
The female mouse voiced by Melissa Manchester in The Great Mouse Detective wasn't a stripper, she was a lady entertainer/singer who went a costume change from meek little mouse to showgirl.

Davina

Reaction score
hey all.. been ages since i've been on (computer issues and, well, life stuff...) anyway.. we finally got to watch this a few days ago. It was good..but it wasn't great.. No where near what I was hoping for... but also not as messed up as i'd half expected... It is the pilot, and we all know lots of shows change drastically from their pilots.. we're hoping that happens here. another "conservative christian" here, and i agree.. as is, this is not something i'd feel comfortable watching with the younger kids.. not like when i was younger and watching the muppet show w/ the family.. this is not there. This does make me sad, but I'm hoping they can bring in some more family friendly elements as they go.. otherwise, hubby and I will be watching this by ourselves. (that said.. this is also no where near as bad as a certain Christmas Special from about 13 years ago that does NOT get mentioned in our house... I have worked long and hard to get some of those images out of my head....)
I would love for more family friendly stuff on TV, period...and would be beyond thrilled if some of that were muppet related, but we are with holding full judgement on the show til we see a few more episodes..
now, that said.. while we were watching and there was a bit where Denise came in wearing glasses and hubby turned and said he didn't realize I was in the show... lol.. that was a fun bit for us, and we LOVED playing "spot the muppet" and hubby is really excited that Uncle Deadly and Bobo are back (two of his favs...) and we both agree that Gonzo feels flat just floating around the writer's room.. he needs to be doing crazy things.. that's just too much a part of who Gonzo is.... Fozzie's desperation for approval from his gf's parents was sad and pathetic.. and really right up what you'd expect from Fozzie..

minor muppetz

Reaction score
you bring up some really good points, I agree. wasn't there a scene in The Muppets Movie where restaurant patrons in Doc Hoppers were drinking beer? how would that go over today in a kids movie no less?
The movie didn't have any scenes inside a Doc Hopper restaurant. There was the scene where one was under construction, and we saw a commercial, but that's all we saw of his actual restaurants. The restaurants were the El Sleazo Cafe (where Fozzie made a "drinks on the house" gag) The Terrace Restaurant (which wasn't referred to by name in the actual film, but Kermit did order champage, and the audio version of "I Hope That Something Better Comes Along" had Kermit ask for a grasshopper).

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
^ you forgot about rowlf saying he goes home and drinks beer XD

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Just to clear things up before I end up getting lumped, I'm not conservative, and admittedly, my opinion on gratuitous sexual content in entertainment today isn't really related to being a Christian, I just feel that in general entertainment today relies way too heavily on the notion that sex sells, and I'm tired of it. Like has been pointed out by others in this thread, it is possible to have a funny show or movie without relying on all that, but apparently you can't in this day and age.

But yes, it is ironic that while we can show sexual content on TV today and nobody bats an eye, you can't show people drinking or smoking without outcry - even in movies, if you see the rating is something like PG, PG-13, R, whatever, you'll see among the content advisory disclaimer: "depections of people smoking/drinking."

There's an old SST clip on YT, and I remember seeing in the comments section people flipping out because of the cigar boxes in Hooper's Store: "OMG! Mr. Hooper sold cigars! How could he!?"