What sketches scared you as a kid?

G-MAN

Reaction score
There was a bit that always creeped me out. It wasn't when I was a kid, but they aired it for a while in the mid to late 90's. It would feature this guy and he would always be popping out of things carrying a number, such as a pool, an outhouse door, etc. I think I mostly didn't like it because I don't like seeing black and white pictures start moving around especially with the mouths moving in an exagerated way (Angela Anaconda). The reason I brought this up was because I was watching a repeat a couple of nights ago, (the one where Baby Bear kept falling asleep when he wanted to play with Elmo), and they showed that skit.

Pug Lover

Reaction score
Splurge said:
I like to envision Jerry and Richard (who puppeteered those boys) mocking fighting during that scene. I like to imagine what it could have looked like if the camera pulled back and we saw the Muppeteers performing in that particular scene... just as was done during "Sex and Violence".

What a mischievous mind have I. :big_grin:
I agree with you.It would have been a riot to see how the actual puppeteers looked when they were performing the fight between those boys.

Pug Lover

Reaction score
One other segment that I found scary as a child,was a cartoon where a small woodpecker stood on a branch of a large tree pecking.A fairly short man comes and says"Q".He then yells"QUIET".But the woodpecker keeps on pecking until the trunk of the tree falls onto the guy{leaving both the woodpecker and the branch he's standing on suspended in mid air}. :eek:

Censored

Reaction score
core said:
I believe it inmeadiadley, but I suppose onley his clothes are shanged, or are there more changed things about him?
No, the Count's whole personality was more sinister in the beginning. He would zap people into trances, often acted like a bully, and once stated that he had no friends. As time went on, he became more friendly and innocent. The one thing that remained the same was his passion for counting.

Zet

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
No, the Count's whole personality was more sinister in the beginning. He would zap people into trances, often acted like a bully, and once stated that he had no friends. As time went on, he became more friendly and innocent. The one thing that remained the same was his passion for counting.
Since you mention that about the Count, I should say I remember finding one of his sketches "disturbing" as a kid. It's the one where Ernie is at his castle (got a job working for the Count??) and the Count tells him that all he has to do is answer the phone. But each time the phone rings, the Count prevents him from answering because he wants to count the rings. As I recall (though I haven't seen it since I was a kid), it actually becomes physical and not in a slapsticky way...I remember the count's voice sounding serious and determined. I wasn't scared of it really, just sort of mildly freaked/angry.

Looking back, I think it's funny actually as karma caught up with Ernie for messing with Bert all those times.:wink:

At this time I'd also like to submit my membership for the "Can't Stand Harvey Kneeslapper" club. I fully qualify, I assure you.:wink:

-Zet

Censored

Reaction score
Zet said:
Since you mention that about the Count, I should say I remember finding one of his sketches "disturbing" as a kid. It's the one where Ernie is at his castle (got a job working for the Count??) and the Count tells him that all he has to do is answer the phone. But each time the phone rings, the Count prevents him from answering because he wants to count the rings. As I recall (though I haven't seen it since I was a kid), it actually becomes physical and not in a slapsticky way...I remember the count's voice sounding serious and determined. I wasn't scared of it really, just sort of mildly freaked/angry.

Looking back, I think it's funny actually as karma caught up with Ernie for messing with Bert all those times.:wink:

At this time I'd also like to submit my membership for the "Can't Stand Harvey Kneeslapper" club. I fully qualify, I assure you.:wink:

-Zet

In that skit, the Count hired Ernie to answer his telephone for him, but warned Ernie that it would not be easy. Ernie can't understand why, but when it rings, the Count wants to count the number of rings so he won't let Ernie answer it. It was a bit physical, but it only involved the Count blocking and intercepting Ernie at every turn. After the phone stops ringing, Ernie complains to the Count that he would not let him answer the phone. The Count says, "I told you it would not be easy."

I actually think Karma was more evenly distributed in the early days when Ernie would aggravate Bert, but the Cookie Monster would aggravate Ernie. In the early skits Cookie (and sometimes "Beautiful Day" Monster) was a sort of "third member" to the Ernie and Bert comedy team. He would walk in their apartment any time and cause chaos. An old Colorform set of Ernie and Bert's apartment had Ernie, Bert, and the Cookie Monster as characters. Later on, it seemed like the Cookie Monster was much less prominent in the Ernie and Bert skits. Maybe they finally started locking their door?

As for Harvey Kneeslapper, I can't say that I don't like any Sesame Street character from the 70's, but he was a bit one dimensional. In the short skits with Harvey Kneeslapper and "Fat Blue", Harvey always played some corny trick on him and ran away laughing at his own joke. However, in a few longer skits, Harvey Kneeslapper would wind up being a victim of his own jokes. In one skit, he means for a closet of toys to fall on someone, but they only fall on him. In an old street skit, Harvey puts confetti in Molly The Mail Lady's hat, but he winds up with the hat and confetti on his head. So he did get his comeuppance sometimes.

Long Live the CHILDREN'S TELEVISION Workshop.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
beaker said:
>>>he's slap a Velcro cut-out of a 'C' on their their chest and yell 'THERE YA GO!" and laugh maniacally<<<

LOL! Harvey Kneeslapper! He belongs in the Muppet hall of shame with Mr. Poodlepants and Bill Bubbles. Btw, HArvey wasnt the only ill begotten Sesame denizen...remember the contraband seller Lefty? Pssst...wanna buy some an illegal letter H?:wink:

///beaker///
gee i saw him trying to sell Ernie an o and an are but never saw the H one. after i learned in elementtry school of how wrong it was to take stuff from strangers i became suspicious of theese skits.

Splurge

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
gee i saw him trying to sell Ernie an o and an are but never saw the H one. after i learned in elementtry school of how wrong it was to take stuff from strangers i became suspicious of theese skits.
I may be wrong, but I think there wasn't an H one per se, just someone punning about Lefty dealing "H", if you know what I mean. In the same vein, I wonder if Lefty ever tried to sell "E" or "X"? :smile:

Bad Splurge. Bad, bad Splurge.

Baby Rowlf

Reaction score
Ooh! Ooh! I remembered another one that kinda worried me as a pup: The singing grapefruit that would explode while singing songs from "Carmen".