The Muppets Episode 4 - Pig Out

What did you think of "The Muppets" episode "Pig Out"?

• Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

• Bork bork! This episode was good.

• Mee mee. This episode was so-so.

• You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I'm enjoying these shows, but there's something about the plotting and the amount of story they're giving that isn't quite feeling right with me.

It's almost like the case of M11 and MMW. Both films had a lot of plot threads and ideas that couldn't fit into a whole movie. This episode felt kinda the same. I get the entire plot and how it worked out, but I feel like some of it could've been fleshed out more; maybe the ending where everyone comes in late.

I still laughed a number of times, so that's good. The Swedish Chef rocked it this episode. And I loved the gag with Bunsen and Beaker's outfits. Speaking of which, Beaker nailed that modulation of "I Got You Babe."

· Wait- Did Statler just say ‘a$$ over teakettle’?
It was specifically "arse over teakettle," which is a often-quoted phrase.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
And btw just the other week I was predicting something very like this drunk thing and being told it wouldn't happen. :wink:

Big Bird Fan

Reaction score
Another great episode. Shame we have to wait an extra week for the next one.

The Statler plot got me thinking. Obviously he was just manipulating Fozzie, but I think there was some truth in that no one but Fozzie visited him. I think deep down he feels lonely sometimes, but heckling Fozzie is just too hard a habit to break. Hopefully we get more :sleep::boo: because I think this is the first time either of them have been fleshed out.

Looks like Kermit is starting to warm up to Piggy a bit more. :smile: Just a matter of time...

I wonder if the writers realized that the "EM smokes pot" joke was starting to get old. I don't think they referenced drugs once, and instead felt more like individual characters.

And speaking of... Sam has a crush on Janice?! I never would've paired them together in a million years! But it's an interesting way to do something new with Sam, so hopefully it wasn't just a one episode thing.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Steve's Kermit has always been more comfortable being a jerk. Kermit could be snide and frequently eruptrws into arm-waving hysteria on TMS, but it was always tempered by a sweetness that was part of his character. Was.
When Steve took over, things took a turn for the mean. I'm not saying Steve is mean OR snarky--I'm sure he's very nice--but his interpretation of Kermit has always been more likely to bite than kiss.
The funny thing is--by and large--audiences don't like it. Eventually--and you can see this time and time again in the muppets' history--the viewing public seems to hit some sort of "im tired of the obnoxious frog" saturation point, at which time some writer or Disney executive says "whatsamatta. The frog is bombing." Cue Ms Piggy, who allows Kermit to redeem himself by being all lovey-dovey, and ratings soar.
It has always looked to me (just my opinion here) as though Steve favors the "pigs are fat and stupid" camp, and his natural humor seems a lot more rough than Jim's. Jim Lewis is another one who seems to find humor in Kermit being mean to Piggy just because picking on fat chicks--who are obviously stupid, otherwise they wouldn't be fat, right?--is always fun and good for a rude laugh.
This is always troublesome to me, because it goes against the whole "our differences make us strong" idea that is keystone to the muppets appeal. (Unless, of course, you're Piggy, in which case your differences only make it acceptable to ridicule you and make fat jokes.)
I never worried, because critical mass always seemed to right what seemed wrong to me, and either a movie or a public appearance or something always seems to drive Piggy and Kermit back together again. "The Muppets" thrived on the reinvigoration of the Kermit-Piggy dynamic, with Piggy being self-actualized and deciding not to go back to the frog who NEEDS her but doesn't WANT her. Contrast that with psycho-pig who trashes the studio because of sharpies.

It dawned on me while I was writing the above what has seemed off and out-of-place.
The Muppets actually treated the muppets like adults.
It's "the muppets" who seems to equate puruile and mean with "grown up."
Ru, who is Still grateful there are always books when television is just stupid.