The "Adventure Time" Thread

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
There's a thread on here for almost all of the current Cartoon Network shows but I was shocked to learn that there wasn't one for Adventure Time. And with the seventh season starting next week,I figured this was the perfect time to start. This season will kick off with a week of new episodes starting November 2. It will also feature a seven part mini series about Marceline and we're finally going to see her mother ,played by Rebecca Sugar. http://www.geek.com/news/adventure-time-season-7-sneak-peek-and-a-marceline-miniseries-1636372/

mr3urious

Reaction score
I really like the mishmash of different cultures and fantasy elements in this universe. You have medieval candy castles juxtaposed with classical horror elements and modern-day stuff, and so much more. It really does allow for a lot of flexibility in terms of storytelling.

I also appreciate how dark and emotionally charged this show can get, like the two-part "Holly Jolly Secrets" that revealed Ice King's tragic backstory, or "I Remember You" that touches on Marceline's youth, later followed up on with "Simon & Marcy". And, of course, the episodes done by guest animators that change up the art style.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And with the seventh season starting next week
Say what? How come none of the good shows from CN's golden era ever got a seventh season?
Since I don't watch ADVENTURE TIME, I really know nothing of this Marceline except that I've once been told that the titular character of my VAMPIRE GIRL webcomic miniseries bears resemblance to Marceline. I . . . really see no resemblance.

But you know what I really dislike? How practically everything from the past is suddenly "where ADVENTURE TIME came from." Seriously. Rocky and Bullwinkle? Wallace and Gromit? Peabody and Sherman? Pufnstuf and Jimmy? Even Tom Terrific and Mighty Manfred? Practically every adventure-seeking cartoon duo from decades past, everybody today looks at them and are like, "Oh, so that's where ADVENTURE TIME came from!" It's almost as annoying as looking through comments of nostalgic shows, movies, cartoons, what have you on YouTube and seeing countless, "FAMILY GUY brought me here!" comments.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I also appreciate how dark and emotionally charged this show can get, like the two-part "Holly Jolly Secrets" that revealed Ice King's tragic backstory, or "I Remember You" that touches on Marceline's youth, later followed up on with "Simon & Marcy". And, of course, the episodes done by guest animators that change up the art style.
That's where the show really gets me. While it does have a quirky and kind of cute atmosphere, it's a Cerebus Rollercoaster that doesn't shy away from being horrifying or disturbing, or in other cases depressing as heck. It took one of the wackiest characters and gave him a depressing depth thus turning him into one of the deepest written characters in the series, and maybe in modern animation in general. This show could have easily just been a boy and his crazy Plastic-Man type dog having wacky adventures in a cartoony kingdom and it still would have been enjoyable and fun. But by making a show full of emotions and depth, this show ushered in a new era for television animation, especially at a time where these shake ups were needed most.
Say what? How come none of the good shows from CN's golden era ever got a seventh season?

Adventure Time came at a crossroads for CN. Management shifts because of the Boston Mooninite Lite Brite scare hammered the network, all the while Disney Channel's tween-centric programming was somehow choking the animation industry. They sabotaged their CN originals line up with weak cartoons like Camp Lazlo (which by no means is a bad show, just kinda disappointing when you think about who it came from) and My Gym Partner is a Monkey (perhaps the laziest, unfunniest thing to come out of a CN original). Those failures (ones they pretty much orchestrated) lead to CN's live action rebrand with that awful stereotypical kiddycom that, quite honestly could have had potential for something, but turned into the old "stuffy principal falls into messy things" type kidcom that I just can't abide. Then they had two better originals with Chowder and Flapjack, but CN just couldn't wait to sabotage those for their next biggest blunder. That's right. The AWFUL reality shows lifted from Discovery Kids' 2005 line up. Their general poorness, and lack of an audience speaks for themselves. Yet they kept pushing these cheap to produce piles of crap while ignoring every bleeding sign they should have abandoned it in the first place.

Then came Adventure Time. And trust me when I say this. We wouldn't have any of the major cartoons here or on The Disney Channel (or rather, XD) if it wasn't for this show. Finally. They had a reason to get kids over the age of 12 to watch cartoons and count them as the demographic. AT was the first show that proved Tweens can watch animated programming and didn't have to greenlight substandard Saved by the Bell knockoffs to get that demo. And that show in turn lead to Regular Show, Gumball, Uncle Grandpa, Clarence, Steven Universe and actually going back to the CN original programming that they since abandoned. So the popularity of the show pretty much saved the state of animation.

And as a result of that popularity and still being overly cautious about their line up, that's why AT got another renewal. They don't want to stray too far from the comfort zone. And for once, it's actually helping the network more than hurting it.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Since I don't watch ADVENTURE TIME, I really know nothing of this Marceline except that I've once been told that the titular character of my VAMPIRE GIRL webcomic miniseries bears resemblance to Marceline. I . . . really see no resemblance.

But you know what I really dislike? How practically everything from the past is suddenly "where ADVENTURE TIME came from." Seriously. Rocky and Bullwinkle? Wallace and Gromit? Peabody and Sherman? Pufnstuf and Jimmy? Even Tom Terrific and Mighty Manfred? Practically every adventure-seeking cartoon duo from decades past, everybody today looks at them and are like, "Oh, so that's where ADVENTURE TIME came from!" It's almost as annoying as looking through comments of nostalgic shows, movies, cartoons, what have you on YouTube and seeing countless, "FAMILY GUY brought me here!" comments.
Oh man you really need to see this show it's amazing. If you like STEVEN UNIVERSE,CLARENCE and We Bare Bears, you will love this show. Although bare in mind that this show is a bit more abstract so it might take a little getting used to. But the tone of this show can shift from cute to funny,dramatic,sad and scary all in a matter of minues. I especially recommend watching the first season and the episode "It Came from the Nightosphere".

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh man you really need to see this show it's amazing. If you like STEVEN UNIVERSE,CLARENCE and We Bare Bears, you will love this show
He's made it clear he's not a fan of this series, and much more a fan of 1990's CN series. And that's okay by me. I'd say that someone who's inclined to like shows like Recess, hey Arnold, and Arthur may want to give Clarence a chance, though.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
He's made it clear he's not a fan of this series, and much more a fan of 1990's CN series. And that's okay by me. I'd say that someone who's inclined to like shows like Recess, hey Arnold, and Arthur may want to give Clarence a chance, though.
Oh I see,that's okay then. I think this is the best era of cartoons since the 90s,maybe even better, but you like what you like.:smile: Although one does wonder how many episodes he's seen of these shows to actually judge them.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Part of my problem with post-2003 CN shows is how whenever they came along, they were suddenly and instaneously adored by the network, and at a Dexter/PPG level of adoration: it started when KND ended up becoming to CN what RUGRATS was to Nick in the 90s (and SpongeBob now) - it was cool at first, and it had an awesome premise that would certainly appeal to kids of any ages, but it got the heck promoted out of it all the time, and even ended up getting a number of one-shot specials that no other CN show had gotten previously (except for maybe A JOHNNY BRAVO CHRISTMAS). Then soon Billy and Mandy started getting the same kind of special treatment as well that it otherwise never had during the Cartoon Cartoon days. Even ensuing shows that followed like Foster's and Lazlo got all kinds of specials and even TV-movies and "event" episodes that none of the original Cartoon Cartoons ever got before. And don't even get me started about merchandising - we've gone over that before: we were lucky to get fast food premiums for Cow and Chicken, Courage, Sheep, and the Eds; PPG and Dexter were really the only CN shows that got decent merchandising at the time (EEE at least got a couple of random DVDs among other things). It's almost as if once CN entered their Cartoon Network City era, suddenly they decided they actually gave a care about their shows, and decided they were going to no longer take them for granted as contractually obligated 52-episode programs. All that just rubs me the wrong way.

On another note, do cable cartoons even still follow the 13-episode season pattern anymore? I heartell some cable cartoons have as little as 8-10 episodes a season now, but some have upwards of 15-20.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Hate to say it but, I have agreed with Snowthy about the season 7 of AT & RS. Granted the only CN shows I still watch is Steven Universe & Gumball. The season 7 thing bugs me the only classic CN show that got that was Grim only because of specials. Plus I did like the shows at first but, then I became bored with the shows later on sort of like how I became with P&F. Also, AT became ridiculous with their merchandise like Spongebob, such as a Monopoly game, really. Also about Clarance, his voice bugs me and the creator thing, I'm agreeing with Mr. Enter on that one. Sorry for this rant, I need to blow off some stem.