The Muppets Episode 6 - The Ex-Factor

What did you think of "The Muppets" episode "The Ex-Factor"?

• Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

• Bork bork! This episode was good.

• Mee mee. This episode was so-so

• You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
I don't watch elmo's world or pushing daisies and I haven't seen wicked. so... XD

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't watch elmo's world or pushing daisies and I haven't seen wicked. so... XD
I first knew about her from the soundtrack of the revival of You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown. Then later I saw interviews with her for Wicked.

Reevz1977

Reaction score
This weeks episode was kind of so-so for me. I did laugh at Deadly who has become my favourite breakout character of the show and the increasingly fleshed-out Scooter raised the odd smirk or two.

One thing, other than my huge problems with Fozzie, that really bothers me is the new chatty Animal - where has the monosyllabic character I used to adore gone?? He is one character that does NOT require fleshing out and any development at all is detrimental to his character - he really doesn't need it. I really, really hate his full sentences and new found intelligence(??), it's just not Animal!!

The rumour of a potential reboot to the series is kind of welcome news... to me at least. Though the show appears to have gained traction, I am still not enamoured with it and struggle to see who the show is actually aimed at - some of the humour is just way off the mark to the point of being dumb. Obviously fans of the Muppets with tune in, we've had a lot of up's and down's with Muppet productions over the years (the low point is unquestionably Studio DC!!) and this is far from being a bad show. I just wish it was way better!

I know it's a pipe dream, but can Disney not just consult Frank Oz?? I think his input, into characters he helped create(!!), could be the thing that lifts this show and brings the Muppets back to their former glory. I know there is going to be the inevitable "Frank Oz has moved on and no longer wants anything to do with the Muppets!!" response to this post, but he has seemed to mellow over the years and has even publicly said that he hasn't been asked, in an almost disappointed manner. Could it hurt to ask?? To a (massively) lesser degree, I was once cut out of the development of characters I created. At first, I was very bitter and hurt from not being involved and said I wanted nothing to do with it when I was approached as it started to take off. I then saw my creation go off-character and, in the end, got back involved. When you create something, you can never totally detach yourself from it, regardless of what you may think.

On one last note, if theres anyone from Disney reading this, if you want to just make this one fan happy - give me "The Pepe Show"!! I love that lil guy!!

liberty

Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about this show. First, it's the Muppets. I love love love the character interactions, love the celebrity interactions, and I love the concept of backstage at Piggy's late night show, which reminds me of the Fantastic Miss Piggy Show. I remember thinking, back in 1982, "Yes! Why isn't a weekly show?" and immediately cringing at the thought of weekly dance productions.

What makes me cringe on this version of the Muppets is the pacing. I think the side-bar interviews are fine, but the homage to The Office seems, at times, to overwhelm the show. Muppet shows rarely have had dead air, and scenes like Fozzy meeting his girlfriend's parents with long, awkward pauses don't seem to mesh. It seems that if they want to do a Muppets version of the reality show format, that they should, you know, Muppet it up a bit.

Full disclosure: I really miss Andy and Randy. Their being Piggy's nephews on MT was the perfect punchline to my favorite MCT tale:

Piggy: "Wait. Think. Christmas is in December. And this is the middle of summer."
Randy and Andy: "He's EARLY!"He's EARLY! Santa's early!"
Piggy: "They coulnd't be Moi's brothers."

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
One thing, other than my huge problems with Fozzie, that really bothers me is the new chatty Animal - where has the monosyllabic character I used to adore gone?? He is one character that does NOT require fleshing out and any development at all is detrimental to his character - he really doesn't need it. I really, really hate his full sentences and new found intelligence(??), it's just not Animal!!
Agreed, I think the writers don't seem to understand the power of simplicity.

some of the humour is just way off the mark to the point of being dumb.
This is really all anyone needs to say.

To a (massively) lesser degree, I was once cut out of the development of characters I created. At first, I was very bitter and hurt from not being involved and said I wanted nothing to do with it when I was approached as it started to take off. I then saw my creation go off-character and, in the end, got back involved. When you create something, you can never totally detach yourself from it, regardless of what you may think.
Very, very true. I imagine it must be hard to sit back and watch that happen.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I love the concept of backstage at Piggy's late night show, which reminds me of the Fantastic Miss Piggy Show. I remember thinking, back in 1982, "Yes! Why isn't a weekly show?" and immediately cringing at the thought of weekly dance productions.
Yes exactly, the backstage/late night show format is fine. I hope they understand that isn't the problem in theory.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
Agreed. Yes, the EM were hippies, but they were also Muppets. They don't sink to that level of human frailty (which is something I've already said this show is getting wrong).

Now, that is not saying they're for children and that is not saying they have to be all perfect. I'll repeat what Richard Hunt said, "Jim spoke to the part of grown ups that was childlike." The Muppet Show characters balance the fine line of adult wit and endearing innocence. Go too far in either direction and the character isn't themselves anymore.
Yes. The issue with the show is not that it's adult humor, but that it's toilet humor.

Why does it feel like this convo is like being the the bands van...
How can a conversation be like a van?

Okay, I know what you're saying.

I admit I am curious as to what they think they need to change.
They should keep the same concept but just make it more Muppety and less human-like.

- I hated, HATED last weeks episode with Reece Witherspoon. Everything about that episode felt off. But...this episode more than made up for it
I know. It was just total bleh.

I feel the show is evolving, getting deeper in its exploration. The Muppets seem more real than ever. And I think that is amazing. the Muppets had more 'heart', silly song and dance in the past...but they feel more three dimensional in depth here. Yes the show is mostly about relationships, but I think it makes sense.
I know. It is hard to put into words, but I know exactly what your talking about. Like in the past, they may have been afraid to explore :cool: for instance, and he felt untouchable or something, but now they're going all out with him. It would be like if they filmed The Muppet Show in HD.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I know. It is hard to put into words, but I know exactly what your talking about. Like in the past, they may have been afraid to explore :cool: for instance, and he felt untouchable or something, but now they're going all out with him. It would be like if they filmed The Muppet Show in HD.
See, I wouldn't call what Jerry Juhl and Jim Henson did in the past "afraid to explore." They simply knew what these characters were and weren't. That takes a writer's discipline and insight.

Nothing this show is doing is fixing or improving on anything. Just because they made a choice doesn't mean it can be assumed that that must be what the Muppets needed (not saying you're doing that).

Last edited:

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
See, I wouldn't call what Jerry Juhl and Jim Henson did in the past "afraid to explore." They simply knew what these characters were and weren't. That takes a writer's discipline and insight.

Nothing this show is doing is fixing or improving on anything. Just because they made a choice doesn't mean it can be assumed that that must be what the Muppets needed (not saying you're doing that).
You're right; bad choice of words on my part, but I don't know the words for what I'm trying to say, but I think you explained it perfectly.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
You're right; bad choice of words on my part, but I don't know the words for what I'm trying to say, but I think you explained it perfectly.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to say your wording was bad. I'm the one who always struggles to explain myself, believe me, lol. I've just been frustrated. Not every board is as civil toward disagreement as this one. A lot of boards, it's like you're constantly trying to avoid encountering little mind fields of a lifetime of bitter resentment, lol.