The Muppets Episode 9 - Going, Going, Gonzo

What did you think of "The Muppets" episode "Going, Going, Gonzo"?

• Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

• Bork bork! This episode was good.

• Mee mee. This episode was so-so.

• You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

Results are only viewable after voting.

LamangoNumber2

Reaction score
Er, no, the only member of the Muppets Tonight band I know is Jowls. Will check the Muppet Character Encyclopedia and ask my fam for help describing that particular character. Thanks though.
*Leaves a number 2 cookie for Lamango2
She's not in the Muppet Character Encyclopedia. She's pictured far right.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
But the two of them interacted in MTI as well. I wonder who the extras are who do the puppeteering when same-voiced characters interact. Just curious about that one.

Yeah. That is interesting. Seems they used the MB version of Scooter rather than the TMS version who always got his way because of his uncle's ownership of the theater. I guess the show's writers prefer the "nerdy" version of Scooter. But it works for me. You never know. Maybe Skeeter will show up in an episode or two. Something to think about.
Gonzo and Bunsen also interacted in MFS.

Stephanie Evjen

Reaction score
I am beginning to think dr. teeth made the whole thing up just to mess with Scooter. also why am I not the least big bothered by janice knowing how to pierce people's ears? lol
Still, it's a possibility. Plus, if the voodoo princess Tiana was real, I think it would be pretty cool to have a storyline when Dr. Teeth gets a blast from the past and she'd be the subject. Just using my imagination here. :dreamy::big_grin:

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the show is still slipping in the ratings:
http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/ratings-chicago-med-strong-the-muppets-hits-low-1201651749/

At 3.8 million American viewers, The Muppets was down from its last airing (although I suspect a two-week break and all this ridiculous talk about "retooling" didn't help it), chalking up its lowest audience numbers since the series debuted in September.

This is extremely disappointing as I felt last night's episode was one of the best of the entire series (apparently several people here agree) and deserved to be seen by a wider audience.

But, as I've said earlier, there's a lot of competition. The Voice, as usual, had a big night and The Flash benefited from a two-night crossover with another popular superhero show, Arrow. And CBS took in nine million viewers with its airing of Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer, and I can't argue with people wanting to watch that.

Is ABC going to give it another try? I sure hope so. Those that are watching it are thoroughly enjoying it, if the Facebook and Twitter reaction are any indication. That also applies to The AV Club, which gave last night's episode its highest rating ever (A-) and had positive reaction from its members in the comments section.

And let's not forget that ABC itself has called The Muppets its best-performing Tuesday half-hour series in four years. That's got to be something to go on.

It's frustrating, but I'm not going to let the numbers sully the triumph that was "Going, Going, Gonzo." At the risk of sounding too pie-in-the-sky, I am convinced that better days are ahead for this series and The Muppets in general.
Yes, this is very sad for all of this. But I won't give up hope. First off, Galvant was renewed with a mere 0.9 rating for one of its episodes. Also, The Muppets is Disney, and I doubt unless it goes below a 1.0 it would be cancelled. I really hope this retooling brings some people back. I really want this show to do well, all I can say is if it stays in the 1.2-1.4, ABC will likely renew it. Hoping this was just a fluke, due to all the competition, and it rebounds a little next week. Keep in mind, that Quantico gota 1.2, barely better than The Muppets 1.1, so I know the show is in danger, but I have hope it can rebound, and hopefully get renewed for at least a second season.

Stephanie Evjen

Reaction score
Yes, this is very sad for all of this. But I won't give up hope. First off, Galvant was renewed with a mere 0.9 rating for one of its episodes. Also, The Muppets is Disney, and I doubt unless it goes below a 1.0 it would be cancelled. I really hope this retooling brings some people back. I really want this show to do well, all I can say is if it stays in the 1.2-1.4, ABC will likely renew it. Hoping this was just a fluke, due to all the competition, and it rebounds a little next week. Keep in mind, that Quantico gota 1.2, barely better than The Muppets 1.1, so I know the show is in danger, but I have hope it can rebound, and hopefully get renewed for at least a second season.
I ain't giving up hope either. For me, The Muppets are staying!:fanatic:

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Didn't get to catch this one until tonight, but I have to agree with most of the comments here. I thought this episode was excellent, had the right balance of celebrity and goofy gags and genuine emotion. Seeing Gonzo get scared felt real, and then his decision to go out there and do the stunt after all felt natural. It showed his full range rather than the one-sided "weirdo" he can be (not saying the show's done this with him, it's just something that can easily happen to his character).

Plus this episode was filled with great one-liners and gags, from all the bits about Piggy Water not being water to Sweetums crying when he was put on the "list". And Sam's talk about violence to Gonzo might have been the most cutting thing this show's done yet.

If the show's "re-tool" uses this episode as a template, it will be just fine.

oknazevad

Reaction score
Well all the Muppets are adding new things to there personally. Some are working others not so much. I thought Dr.Theeth's story was funny. I also like he mentioned Mississippi which is also where Kermit says he is from as well.
The band was really good this episode. Not to far out there and very funny.
I knew there was something about the Mississippi reference that jumped out at me as very appropriate. It just hit me. Mississippi isn't just where Kermit originally hails from, it's where Jim Henson originally hailed from. As Teeth was Jim's character, he should have a major connection to the state. And now he does, non-existent prior canon be darned.

Speaking of can(n)on: Welcome back Gonzo. There is the Muppet magic in full.

I've enjoyed every episode of this series so far, but this is one that really checks all the boxes. From the guest stars (helps that JGL and Dave Grohl are both personal favorites), the use of said guest stars (just the right amount of plot relevance), the A & B plots being tone perfect, the comedy factor, the characterizations, just a grand slam of an episode, near equal to "Pigs in a Blackout" (that one edges this out just because of the "Rainbow Connection" ending, but I'm a sucker in that regard.)

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I ain't giving up hope either. For me, The Muppets are staying!:fanatic:
Just the fact that they always advertise it makes me think that ABC has no intention of cancelling it, if a show is a flop, like Blood and Oil or something, they more or less stop to advertise it, but The Muppets is still advertised regularly, fi ABC was planning to cancel it, they wouldn't put so many commercials.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
It's a far fetched idea, but I would love if there were an episode based around Uncle Deadly and Lips in their own storylines.

I really do love Lips. It's so good to see Steve developing a character of his own again. He's spent the past 25 years just carrying the torch for Jim and Richard so I bet he's enjoying his time away from that.

muppetlover123

Reaction score
It's a far fetched idea, but I would love if there were an episode based around Uncle Deadly and Lips in their own storylines.

I really do love Lips. It's so good to see Steve developing a character of his own again. He's spent the past 25 years just carrying the torch for Jim and Richard so I bet he's enjoying his time away from that.
I love Lips too!