The Muppets Episode 9 - Going, Going, Gonzo

What did you think of "The Muppets" episode "Going, Going, Gonzo"?

• Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

• Bork bork! This episode was good.

• Mee mee. This episode was so-so.

• You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

Results are only viewable after voting.

LinkLady77

Reaction score
this episode was... meh.

also Dr. teeth didn't get his gold tooth from a voodoo priestess. he made the tooth out of his gold records. Jim Henson said so himself. :/
Dr. Teeth mentioned making his tooth out of gold records on The Tonight Show in 1975 (Jim Henson pulled Dr. Teeth out from behind the chair he was sitting in while talking to Johnny Carson and Johnny said "oh, it's Dr. Tooth!"...Jim gently corrected him :jim:). I took a day trip to NYC yesterday and went to the Paley Center for Media and spent the day looking up pure Muppet gold in their archive collection! I viewed episodes of The Tonight Show with Jim Henson from 1974 (a performance piece with a large rubberband face with Dave Goelz who looked so young and in awe that he was there!), 2 episodes from 1975 (Dr. Teeth and Kermit) and 1976 (Swedish Chef, Kermit and Fozzie) and an episode of The Cher Show from 1975 with the Muppets (the Electric Mayhem and Sweetums were featured). The only bummer was that the Tonight Show episode that I REALLY wanted to see from 1977 (Jim with Link Hogthrob!) hadn't been digitized yet and they needed a 24 hour notice to retrieve the tape from their archives. Oh, well. Another trip for another day. Muppet fans should definitely try to go there, the staff is so friendly and helpful. Getting back to Dr. Teeth, I think that the origins of his gold tooth were also mentioned on TMS episode with Cleo Laine while performing "It Don't Mean a Thing If It Ain't Got That Swing". I'm glad to hear they are doing a Christmas episode next week! Hmm...who will be under the mistletoe?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I took a day trip to NYC yesterday and went to the Paley Center for Media...Muppet fans should definitely try to go there, the staff is so friendly and helpful.
I concur! I interned at The Paley Center years ago and their archive of Muppets material is incredible. :smile:

LinkLady77

Reaction score
I concur! I interned at The Paley Center years ago and their archive of Muppets material is incredible. :smile:
Wow...you lucky duck! I bet you spent a lot of time viewing all that good stuff! I left with the biggest smile on my face...I hope to return there soon!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Just the fact that they always advertise it makes me think that ABC has no intention of cancelling it, if a show is a flop, like Blood and Oil or something, they more or less stop to advertise it, but The Muppets is still advertised regularly, fi ABC was planning to cancel it, they wouldn't put so many commercials.
To put things in perspective, Wicked City disappeared after 2 episodes and replaced by Shark Tank (which has the lowest quality of any of ABC's other shows I feel). Muppets is probably just low budget enough to be able to get at least a renewal as long as the ratings aren't awful. Probably on a probationary basis, I dunno. I wouldn't doubt (and this is something that I pointed out) the announcement of a "reboot" was going to lose viewers and make the show a laughing stock. It's all but an admission that this was a mistake, though I think even if the Muppets did the same old thing they always do, the ratings wouldn't be that great either.

And yes, it's a real pain in the butt that the writers finally turned the show into a show about The Muppets and not a show with Muppets in it. The first season of a show (unless it gets really bad really fast) is never the point in the series where they nail it, yet we don't have the grace period that kept shows like Seinfeld and Family Guy running long enough to find themselves anymore. I mean, ever seen a first Season Seinfeld? It's...it's not hard to see why it was sop close to being cancelled so often. As long as episodes about relationships drive further behind the rear view mirror and we get Muppets doing Muppet things like this last episode, there's potential for this to be a far better, more Muppety series. I've said it before, a Muppet show with a sitcom format can work, and the second season of MT proves it. Unfortunately, just when the writers were getting the hang of that one, ABC and Disney were impatient. That would really be awful here.

Stephanie Evjen

Reaction score
It's a far fetched idea, but I would love if there were an episode based around Uncle Deadly and Lips in their own storylines.

I really do love Lips. It's so good to see Steve developing a character of his own again. He's spent the past 25 years just carrying the torch for Jim and Richard so I bet he's enjoying his time away from that.
After Dr. Teeth's suggestion, I could tell he could make as much sense as anybody else on this show after he doesn't know why Scooter would wanna leave home at 14. It's cool seeing him more on the show. Plus, seeing the EM's hangout and van, I could tell those guys are really true to their hippie roots. Gotta respect that. :flirt:

Stephanie Evjen

Reaction score
Dr. Teeth mentioned making his tooth out of gold records on The Tonight Show in 1975 (Jim Henson pulled Dr. Teeth out from behind the chair he was sitting in while talking to Johnny Carson and Johnny said "oh, it's Dr. Tooth!"...Jim gently corrected him :jim:). I took a day trip to NYC yesterday and went to the Paley Center for Media and spent the day looking up pure Muppet gold in their archive collection! I viewed episodes of The Tonight Show with Jim Henson from 1974 (a performance piece with a large rubberband face with Dave Goelz who looked so young and in awe that he was there!), 2 episodes from 1975 (Dr. Teeth and Kermit) and 1976 (Swedish Chef, Kermit and Fozzie) and an episode of The Cher Show from 1975 with the Muppets (the Electric Mayhem and Sweetums were featured). The only bummer was that the Tonight Show episode that I REALLY wanted to see from 1977 (Jim with Link Hogthrob!) hadn't been digitized yet and they needed a 24 hour notice to retrieve the tape from their archives. Oh, well. Another trip for another day. Muppet fans should definitely try to go there, the staff is so friendly and helpful. Getting back to Dr. Teeth, I think that the origins of his gold tooth were also mentioned on TMS episode with Cleo Laine while performing "It Don't Mean a Thing If It Ain't Got That Swing". I'm glad to hear they are doing a Christmas episode next week! Hmm...who will be under the mistletoe?
Yeah. That's what I believe too, after hearing it on WatchMojo's Top 10 Muppets and Wikipedia. Now, Muppet Wiki changed how Dr. Teeth got his gold tooth from Tianna the Voodoo Princess. Right now, I'm really confused, wondering if he really got his gold tooth from melted gold records or his voodoo girlfriend (no offense; I thought it was a sweet story :flirt:). Who knows? :big_grin::confused::skeptical:

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
Yeah. That's what I believe too, after hearing it on WatchMojo's Top 10 Muppets and Wikipedia. Now, Muppet Wiki changed how Dr. Teeth got his gold tooth from Tianna the Voodoo Princess. Right now, I'm really confused, wondering if he really got his gold tooth from melted gold records or his voodoo girlfriend (no offense; I thought it was a sweet story :flirt:). Who knows? :big_grin::confused::skeptical:
If it was Jim Henson who made dr. teeth say it then THAT it total cannon. Since Jim is the muppet creator therefor MUPPET GOD his word trumps anything else. (don't matter if he's dead or not)

Whatnot1988

Reaction score
Also--when I heard Dr. Teeth mention Tiana, I thought the Muppets were giving their bosses a plug by referencing one of their other properties (or should I say a specific character from said property).