Another Stupid movie to Overreact to...

mr3urious

Reaction score
The Oogs were pretty much snatched out of the hands of the desperate creators who's show was just starting to hit some level of national penetration, they go bankrupt, and some sleazy guys buy the rights cheap.
And My Bedbugs at least had some good intentions behind it (educating kids about proper hygiene and bedtime habits). None of that can be found in The Oogs.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
NORM OF THE NORTH

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1594972/?ref_=nv_sr_2

So, it apparently starts off as a polar bear version of HAPPY FEET where the arctic home of these creatures is being destroyed by humans, but then it somehow turns into THE BRAVE LITTLE TOASTER and ROCK-A-DOODLE where the polar bear and his little hammy friends get mixed up in the big city, then it turns into the HEY ARNOLD! MOVIE, RETURN TO GREEN ACRES, the 25th anniversary SST special, and what have you were we learn some eccentric real estate tycoon is planning to demolish the entire arctic circle to make room for . . . whatever, I lost interest halfway through the trailer.

The character look like they've been ripped off from the Open Season and Madagascar movies, and . . . oh boy, a soundtrack that features Taylor "I am Narcissist, Hear Me Croon" Swift.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I hope that movie flops like Legends of Oz and Strange Magic did. But then again, it could become an undeserved hit like The Nut Job, which benefited from no competition in a dump month.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The character look like they've been ripped off from the Open Season and Madagascar movies, and . . .
Indeed they are. Now, I don't like Open Season, regardless of the talent (wasted talent, if you ask me), and I have a weird fascination with Madagascar for some reason. I mean, I'd love to be an animation snob and turn my nose up to something like that, but the franchise it too darn likable for me. Penguins and Julien especially. I mean, Madagascar had three hit movies, an unfortunately timed one that was better received internationally, one hit TV show, one Netflix Show and at least 3 full half hour length holiday specials (2 Christmas- one being Penguins and one Valentines one). Dispite the fact poor timing killed POM the movie, it's a successful franchise and one of my top 3 favorites from DW (Dragons and Kung Fu Panda being the other two). But Norm just lacks the charisma and fun of the Madagascar films, and none of the characters look engaging, fun, or marketable.

I hope that movie flops like Legends of Oz and Strange Magic did. But then again, it could become an undeserved hit like The Nut Job, which benefited from no competition in a dump month.
KFP3 is stupidly going to get release in January, so it does indeed have competition. January is only good for midlevel budget films, I don't see a bigger budget DW film surviving that month. Especially a franchise picture. Nick pretty much kicked KFP:LOA off the line up as soon as their deal ended (and it did that tricky thing where they aired it constantly on their sister network, Nicktoons to assure kids that they didn't cancel it...which disturbs me as Sanjay and Craig seems to be airing an awful lot on Nicktoons). Surprised DW didn't pull a Dragons and make a second supposed series connected through Netflix.

Anyway, I really think Strange Magic bombed because George Lucas's name was attached. If it was through bad word of mouth, it would have at least opened better. Norm looks like something that potentially could be another Nutjob, unless KFP3 is released soon before or after. Looks like something hyperactive 4 year olds would drag their parents to.

Drtooth

Reaction score
On the opposite side of the spectrum, apparently...sigh... Prinde and Prejudice and Zombies is a thing.

UGH.

Now, really. You'd think other high concept anachronism plus outdated dead horse Meme films failing spectacularly, this would have just evaporated into nothingness. Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter and Cowboys and Aliens were legendary flops, so why was this thing completed? The concepts were pretty tongue in cheek, sort of, but the audience for the movies wasn't there either time. What makes them think this time will be any different?

Plus, it...just doesn't even look as good (relatively) as those two. And zombies are so 2011.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Zombies so 2011? Yeah, er, not if I Zombie on the CW, Z-Nation on Syfy, The Wlking Dead and it's spinoff and countless other zombiepocalypse films are anything to go by.
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is moving forward as a project created by Seth Graham Smith, who's gotten a sense of cashé. Thing is he's also scripted the Beetlejuice sequel that's basically an insertion of Beetlejuice characters in the Corpse Bride storyline, but the interesting thing is that the animated series might be connected to the cinematic franchise.

Now for the real reason I came to this thread. So I'm browsing IGN's headlines like usual and find what may be the single-most cringeworthy piece of cinematic crud ever greenlit in the history of Hollywood.
Dorka the frackin' Explorer the Movie. *Screams in absolute terror!
What's worse is that the scripter of Puss in Boots is onboard to make this drecht a reality.

Whoever approved that should be, in the immortal words of Garfield, "dragged out into the middle of the street and shot."

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Zombies so 2011? Yeah, er, not if I Zombie on the CW, Z-Nation on Syfy, The Wlking Dead and it's spinoff and countless other zombiepocalypse films are anything to go by.
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is moving forward as a project created by Seth Graham Smith, who's gotten a sense of cashé. Thing is he's also scripted the Beetlejuice sequel that's basically an insertion of Beetlejuice characters in the Corpse Bride storyline, but the interesting thing is that the animated series might be connected to the cinematic franchise.

Now for the real reason I came to this thread. So I'm browsing IGN's headlines like usual and find what may be the single-most cringeworthy piece of cinematic crud ever greenlit in the history of Hollywood.
What's worse is that the scripter of Puss in Boots is onboard to make this drecht a reality.

Whoever approved that should be, in the immortal words of Garfield, "dragged out into the middle of the street and shot."
Oh my gosh this is worse than I thought, apparently the new Dora movie is going to be LIVE ACTION!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Zombies as an an ironic meme are over, that is. Walking Dead is far from ironic, and still manages to draw in huge audiences. iZombie, unless I'm mistaken, was a comic book, possibly written before the cutoff and just greenlit. But whatever you can say about zombies being popular, there's one thing that never was. Semi-ironic concept films. Snakes on a Plane did not live up to its prefilm internet hype, nor did Cowboys and Aliens and Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter. Cowboys and Aliens flopped so bad, it almost put Lone Ranger out of commission, which in retrospect should have been taken as the sign as that movie did even worse. I don't think this ironic zombie concept film will be successful, and they were fools not to catch the hint of the failure of the previously mentioned films.

Though I guess the only good takeaway here is that it at least stars some female characters, something desperately needed. But I'd hate for this to be another Aeon Flux/Underworld disaster that studio heads stupidly take as "no one wants to pay to see films starring woman heroes" and not the reality that both films sucked.

Oh my gosh this is worse than I thought, apparently the new Dora movie is going to be LIVE ACTION!
Eh, you know... while I'm sure this move is happening due to the recent modest success of the Spongebob out of Water film, I'm wondering why it took them this long otherwise. Dora's unfortunately still a thing. And even though there was this whole big thing about Dora aging up to preteen (which was years before this thing even happened) it's the same darn show with the same darn question prompts. UGH. A movie makes sense, it'll probably be the only successful preschool based movie (and even then, moderately). Still, you'd think with Paw Patrol's huge popularity, they'd go for something more current.

mr3urious

Reaction score
After hearing news about that Barney reboot, there's been news of a new Thomas the Tank Engine film that was planned back to be released back in late 2010 at the very least. Considering that Magic Railroad performed so-so at best and was critically panned, I doubt people are going to warm up to another one of these. The 2nd link seems to imply that the film will be human-focused like the first one was, which is a death sentence for this kind of thing. So yeah, not too thrilled about this. :concern:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118000782.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

http://deadline.com/2011/06/9-helme...ed-on-the-thomas-the-tank-engine-toys-138304/

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I could never take much out of the franchise since it moved to an all CGI format instead of the model trains with narration, but honestly I didn't really care much since Shining Time Station stopped being run. I mean, I like the characters enough to get the Pez dispensers and some crappy Smartees-like (USA Smartees, that is) Japanese candy in a tube (that someone broke the face off of and lost).

The Magic Railroad movie was crap because some executive thought the villain of the movie (and thus all tension) was too much for kids to handle. Otherwise, it would have had a decent story, or rather A story. A Story.

And with preschool based kid's movies doing no business, I don't see why they'd bother with a theatrical Thomas film.