Question about Muppeteer Understudy Actors

Nostalgicman

Reaction score
Hi. My name is Ethan. I am not a die hard fan, but I am a fan enough that I have questions that probably couldn't be answered anywhere else. My first question; Is there a list anywhere of all the Sesame Street and Muppet understudies besides the ones for Big Bird, Oscar, and Kermit?

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Hi. My name is Ethan. I am not a die hard fan, but I am a fan enough that I have questions that probably couldn't be answered anywhere else. My first question; Is there a list anywhere of all the Sesame Street and Muppet understudies besides the ones for Big Bird, Oscar, and Kermit?
We don't really know who any of the understudies are besides the ones for Big Bird and Oscar. Big Bird is Matt Vogel and Eric Jacobson stands in for Oscar. As for Kermit,I don't really think he or any of the other Muppet Show characters have an understudies. Besides that,we literally have no idea who the understudies for the Sesame Street muppets are. Someone who works on the show has said that each main character has an understudy,and Marty Robinson has said he is training someone to takeover his characters. But the names of the understudies are completely unknown as of now. Ryan Dillon,Billy Barkhurst,Matt Vogel,Jennifer Barnhart and Stephanie D'abruzzo have all taken over many of the main characters since many of the older performers have moved on. But as for the other characters like Abby,Grover,Rosita,Cookie,Telly etc. we have no idea who will understudy for these characters.

jobi71

Reaction score
When Jim was still alive he would occasionally have Steve do the puppetry for Kermit if Jim's eyes were needed elsewhere such as directing etc.

On the new Muppets TV show Eric has said that in scenes where Miss Piggy and Fozzie appear together he will perform whichever is more the focus of the scene and it is usually Peter Linz who will perform the second character. I am not sure if that qualifies as being an understudy or more of a stunt double.

Nostalgicman

Reaction score
I think that just qualifies as a stunt double. What I'm guessing is that is that for the Muppeteers who are older and closer to retirement, they train people who already have other roles. But for those who are young and nowhere near any expected retirement, they probably just train people who are otherwise "additional performers". For example, Ryan Dillon hadn't done anything other than minor characters till he unexpectedly took over for Clash.

Nostalgicman

Reaction score
Also, I was wondering if I'm alone in thinking Peter Linz could take over Gonzo after Dave Goelz sine I feel his characters have a similar vocal range?

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Also, are there any clips of Eric performing Oscar?
A partially Caroll/partially Eric clip.
http://www.muppetcentral.com/forum/...ms-oscar-on-sprouts-sunny-side-up-show.59159/

Also, I was wondering if I'm alone in thinking Peter Linz could take over Gonzo after Dave Goelz sine I feel his characters have a similar vocal range?
If Dave ever stops performing, I'm thinking Brett O'Quinn will likely be the guy they go to, at least for Gonzo.

Nostalgicman

Reaction score
A partially Caroll/partially Eric clip.
http://www.muppetcentral.com/forum/...ms-oscar-on-sprouts-sunny-side-up-show.59159/

If Dave ever stops performing, I'm thinking Brett O'Quinn will likely be the guy they go to, at least for Gonzo.
Apparently, Drew Massey voiced Gonzo for a few seconds in Robot Chicken. I wonder how he would do?

Also, when Carroll moves on and Eric takes over for the Grouch, I have begun to think that at least one of Bert, Grover, and Guy Smiley will be reassigned. I'd like to see Guy Smiley reassigned because I don't think Eric is as great as Guy as someone in the Jim Henson vocal range lineage would be (e.g. Steve Whitmire, Artie Esposito, or Billy Barkhurst). I'd definitely like ton see Billy as Guy Smiley

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Apparently, Drew Massey voiced Gonzo for a few seconds in Robot Chicken. I wonder how he would do?

Also, when Carroll moves on and Eric takes over for the Grouch, I have begun to think that at least one of Bert, Grover, and Guy Smiley will be reassigned. I'd like to see Guy Smiley reassigned because I don't think Eric is as great as Guy as someone in the Jim Henson vocal range lineage would be (e.g. Steve Whitmire, Artie Esposito, or Billy Barkhurst). I'd definitely like ton see Billy as Guy Smiley
I don't think any of Eric's characters will be recast after Oscar.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Brett O'Quinn was the only one of the 'understudies' that actually auditioned for Gonzo. In the case of Robot Chicken, Drew (and Victor Yerrid) were essentially hired as impressionists, rather than performers.