Caroll Spinney's performing status

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Alright so, is Caroll Spinney done puppeteering or what? All of the behind the scenes footage that we've seen for Season 46,Caroll was sitting off to the side providing the voice of his characters rather then actually puppeteering them. Also notice that in all the sneak peeks and promo photos for the upcoming season Matt Vogel's Big Bird puppet was used instead of Caroll's.

Caroll hasn't played Oscar and Big Bird during guest appearances on other tv shows since 2012 ,the bird was played by Matt Vogel in a Funny of Die sketch,by Noel MacNeal on The Tonight Show last year and in another Tonight Show appearance he was puppeteered by Peter Linz and Matt Vogel played him on The Today Show.

If Caroll is officially done puppeteering his iconic characters it is a bit sad,but at least he's still doing the voices. Both Oscar and Big Bird are very physically straining to perform so I wouldn't be surprised if the 82 year old was taking a backseat from this back breaking work.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Well I heard that Carol still does most of the puppetry for Oscar when he's not in a tight space.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
The last time Caroll physically puppeteered was the Tonight Show and GMA back in September 2014. He still brings out Oscar for appearances when he's just being himself, cause he doesn't have to kneel down for it.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder who performed Big Bird on The Tonight Show last night. Big Bird and The Count both appeared.