Arthur - Where is the Show Going?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Hmm. I just noticed that "Matchmaker, Matchbreaker" was written by another Courage writer.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Back to Rattles, the "Whip. Mix. Blend." episode aside (it feels too one-shot/anthology), I kind of like the character development they've been giving him during these 9 Story seasons, showing that he's actually really cultured and intelligent, if only puts up a tough exterior because he has trouble expressing himself and is "misunderstood."
I get that some of the fandom is ticked that the Stuffed Custards are no longer bullies (though they barely were to begin with), but I also like how Rattles is getting more character to him other than the standard tough not too bright semi-bully you see in these things. They gave Molly some depth before that episode, and I think it turned out great for that character. Molly, Rattles, and especially Binky have come a long way since the show began. Though, I'd kinda like it if they kept Slink as the dumb one of the group.

But what I don't understand is why did they rename Chickin' Lickin'?
I'd say continuity error. Something they're quite well versed in.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Bruce Dinsmore posted a demo reel of some of his live action acting on YouTube, though I actually can't really even share it here because the content of it would probably prompt Phil or Ed to nuke it, such as a character he plays that literally rips a woman's head off, or using some colorful language as another character.

I have to say, you know that level of childlike excitement you get you actually see the live action work of somebody's voice you've heard for so long (for me as a kid, that was seeing Dom DeLuise on CHARLIE HORSE MUSIC PIZZA after hearing only his voice up till that point)? That's not the case here. Bruce's natural voice (which is only slightly deeper than David Read) doesn't have the range to make for convincing villains (meanwhile hearing him swear is worthy of a chuckle, because it's like if David was having such a bad day he needed to slip away somewhere and let it rip), he's clearly at an age now where having him try to pull off a male version of Jennifer Aniston is really rather awkward, and overall his physical acting in terms of body language and emotion is a might stiff.

I'm guessing maybe he's trying to expand his acting career beyond just voicing David, Binky, Bailey, and whoever else he may voice now . . . but, eh, I don't know.

On a similar note, somebody posted a compilation of some of Daniel Brochu (Buster) live action work . . . boy, watching some of the stuff he was in is like watching Nic Cage movies.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Bruce's natural voice (which is only slightly deeper than David Read) doesn't have the range to make for convincing villains (meanwhile hearing him swear is worthy of a chuckle, because it's like if David was having such a bad day he needed to slip away somewhere and let it rip)
It's as if years of raising a dysfunctional family while juggling a struggling catering business have finally taken its toll on Mr. Read. :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So we're getting three still-unaired Season 19 episodes next week . . . none of which includes "Maria Speaks."

While I'm not obsessive about Maria like a lot of fans have been for whatever reason, I'm surprised that given it's kind of a big deal episode that it still hasn't aired (at least in North America) yet - people have been anticipating this episode ever since Greg Bailey announced it nearly two years ago.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really hate how PBS is breaking these things up. No wonder they keep taking down Arthur content (especially unaired episodes) off of Youtube. I get when they split the episodes into 5 episodes in the Fall and 5 in the late Spring. Now it's all about splitting the episodes up into smaller parts, waiting longer to air them, and withholding episodes to tie into things, same deal with Sesame Street's 45th season.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Part of the problem too is that they produce two seasons at a time now, so it was like PBS started out airing Season 18, then after the first half aired, then they began randomly mixing up Season 18 and 19 episodes. Seasons 20 and 21 are in the works now, so they'll probably do the same.

Drtooth

Reaction score
After seeing Brain's Brain and Sue Ellen Adds it Up, I have to admit, I didn't care for them as far as content goes. They're too different, and not in a good way. Not "In My Africa" bad, but still just not the kind of slice of life problem addressing the show is known for.

I'm sure no one goes to that Brain for knowledge of parts of the Brain... they go for this one.

I liked the nod to the Dexter's Lab parody and the fact they tried their hands at an Easter...errr... non-religious spring celebration that involves Easter-like imagery and customs episode. But it really seems to skew to the wrong type of audience a science and nature show should be talking about. Sue Ellen Adds It Up at least tries to frame the concept into a standard Arthur episode, but it feels more like a lecture than an episode. I like the concept of Sue Ellen not being math minded and Prunella trying to convince her otherwise (a job for Brain, actually, don't see why she's the one to talk about it), but Sue Ellen comes off kinda... well, idiotic instead of left brained. It feels like a bad Sesame Street Engineering script rewritten to be an Arthur one somehow. And it would have been nice to see her struggle a little with math and not doing math-ish things while not knowing it while Prunella keeps treating her like an incompetant little sister.

LabyrinthLani

Reaction score
To be ho
Will and I had a bit of a conversation on this a long time ago, but I think it's in need of it's own thread...

So anyway, Arthur's been on the air for thirteen years, and still shows no signs of coming to a conclusion any time soon... and I think that's very evident on the show.

In fact, it really shouldn't even be called "Arthur" anymore, as the show is rarely focused on him these days... matter of fact, there's quite a few episodes where he's absent completely; on top of that, I'm sure we've all noticed that over the years (especially recent years), more and more background character become main character (Fern, George, and I hear that gray rabbit with the orange sweater).

And it's quite clear that the writers are obviously running out of ideas for the show; already they've shown repetitiveness (we've got two episodes where D.W. has trouble getting rid of her hiccups), and some of the character development seems quite odd as well - Brain having been held back in kindergarten (who gets held back in KINDERGARTEN) because of emotional issues? Muffy being much more weasely and coniving? Fern having a hidden egotistical side?

Back in its prime, the show had some rather intense (for kiddies anyway) episodes that served their purposes - that whole fire in school is a prime example of that... but now we're getting an episode where Mrs. MacGrady has cancer... what's up with that? I mean, I know they'll bring her back to life a season later (Mr. Morris, the janitor supposedly moved away after breaking his ankle, but was right back to being the janitor after that), but I mean seriously... something about this just has "We're so short on ideas, let's just give a minor character cancer and see how the kids handle it" written all over it to me.

How do you think the show's future stands at this point? I realize this show is meant for little kids, and not grown ups, but it still seems to me that even for such a smart, sophisticated, and (once) well-written kiddie show as this, that's suffering a bit these days, and I don't see it going out on top, like some shows end up facing.
To be honest, I thought this show ended already.
I think it's time for it to end.
Same with Spongebob.
Nick only keeps re-funding the show because it's the only 90's show to stay alive for so long.
But even the main writers say they wanted to end it way back with "Best Day Ever."
I'm talking about SpongeBob now, sorry.
:oops:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Meanwhile, the producers of ARTHUR have said they wish to keep going forever if they can. I'll say this for them: at least they're passionate about the show.

Now, since I started watching the new episodes again since Season 16 (I wanted to see what the big deal was about the switch to Flash, and introducing Ladonna and stuff, because otherwise, I sat out for Seasons 9-15 - couldn't stand Arthur's D.W. voice), I will admit that the show is still really hit or miss: it's nice to see certain older writers are either still writing for the show or have returned after a long absence (one of the original head writers from the beginning has returned as of Season 18), and there are certain new writers who have not only gotten the characterizations really well, but have added more depth to already-established characters.

That said, I still think that calling the show ARTHUR is irrelevant anymore since he's rarely the focus of the show, and more and more episodes are being made without him in it at all.