The dark day of Valentines Day is upon us...

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know, I'm not mad that I'm alone on Valentines Day. I'm mad it's going to be brutally cold and it ruined the one plan I tried to make for myself to see Deadpool.

Keep in mind this isn't "oh, it's below 50 degrees" cold. It's below below below freezing and far too cold to wait forever for buses and trains that don't show up to take me to the theater cold. I mean "begging to be in the 20's" cold. WITH windchill.

Goshdarnit!!!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I swear, you northerns are such whiney little babies about the cold. What kind of society do we live in when "too cold" is enough to disrupt people's lives? I can't believe we've actually gotten to a point where we can cancel school now because it's "too cold" when back in my day, we went to school irregardless of how cold it was in January or hot how it was in May.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I swear, you northerns are such whiney little babies about the cold. What kind of society do we live in when "too cold" is enough to disrupt people's lives?
Uh... 11 degrees? With a wind chill? Direct arctic air? In the daytime with sun?

I said "not 40's." 40's I can handle, 30's okay... anything below 20 is painful to be outside more than a few minutes. Need I also add we have the least reliable public transportation system?

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I didn't realize people took Valentines Day so seriously. I've never been remotely interested in the holiday. I mean,I occasionally make a card or something for fun but besides that I don't see what the big deal is. Can't we still be loving or romantic towards our loved ones on any other day of the year? Besides who cares if your alone on Valentines Day,it's not even a big thing. Unlike Christmas you still have to go to school,you still have to go to work. Is it just that the day is a reminder that your not dating someone or is it that you feel obligated to have a valentine every single year?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I can kind of see it this way. Anyone remember that episode of Arthur where they're depressed and bored and realize they need a holiday? Well, that. All that. Even a die hard winter fan gets the blahs when January slowly turns into the actually worse weather February. Christmas is a big freaking deal, and as an adult I realize it's not just Christmas Day that makes the day special, it's the anticipation. The preparation. You have this nice long build up of watching TV specials, listening to music (even if you don't really enjoy it, it's still nice background noise), and the candy and food and stuff. Then New Years Day happens and nothing. Nothing for a whole month. Then the Valentines prep pops up. It's not the best thing to get excited about, but it's something.

Plus, there's always that little nagging bit of nostalgia. I mean, remember when you were in Elementary school and you got those cheap little cardboard multipack cards? You'd send them, you'd get them. That's a nice little memory, especially if you're sentimental enough to keep them (and I totally wish I did). I think the problem is the romantic angle, but like I said, if you're lonely, it's not going to be for this one day. So why fret over one day? Plus the candy may not be half as good as the following holiday (I can't stress enough how much I love Easter candy), but candy's candy. And it's on sale the day after.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Unlike Christmas you still have to go to school,you still have to go to work.
As a kid, I never understood that: we got off from school for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter . . . but not Valentine's Days or Halloween. Then when I got older, I learned it's because Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter are "legal holidays," while Valentines and Halloween are technically not holidays in the legal sense, they're more "special event" days than holidays.
Even a die hard winter fan gets the blahs when January slowly turns into the actually worse weather February.
If by "worse weather February" you mean when spring arrives by Valentine's Day, then yes, I'll agree with you on that; otherwise, ehh, the weather doesn't really turn worse in February - it's started turning milder by then, you still need sweaters but not jackets or coats. Not to mention February's a short month anyway, so it almost always flies by in a blink.

Drtooth

Reaction score
If by "worse weather February" you mean when spring arrives by Valentine's Day, then yes, I'll agree with you on that; otherwise, ehh, the weather doesn't really turn worse in February - it's started turning milder by then, you still need sweaters but not jackets or coats. Not to mention February's a short month anyway, so it almost always flies by in a blink.
Up here, that's when we get blizzards, and of the devastatingly huge variety. Ones measured in feet. And if you're talking last year, we had a blizzard every 2 or 3 days after a dry, but cold January. One of the biggest blizzards that ever hit us (though before my time) was February.

Sometimes it can indeed be warmer (as in upper 30's) than January, but we really haven't seen that happen in recent years.

But still, anything under 20 degrees, even without windchill (and under 20, even a small puff of wind knocks the feel down to negative territory) is painful to be out in, I don't care where you're from.